New Server!
Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

"Steam Lizards Virtual Museum"

I have been collecting material for quite awhile now on steam pumps. It includes historical...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2008 times

Old 05-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered-III

Default "Steam Lizards Virtual Museum"

I have been collecting material for quite awhile now on steam pumps. It includes historical photographs, pictures of nameplates, and other material in addition to pictures of steam pumps themselves.

I toyed with the idea of a "real museum" for some time; but realized just recently that I had all of the makings for a "Virtual Museum." So, I have reorganized some of my material into a "Steam Lizards Virtual Museum"; it can be found in the Surviving World Steam Lizard Photo Gallery at:

http://www.survivingworldsteam.com/gallery

It is just below the folder for Surviving Steam Pumps.

The "Steam Lizards Virtual Museum" is divided into "wings". Three wings are devoted to steam pump builders: Henry R. Worthington (who invented the first direct-acting steam pump in 1840), George F. Blake, and James H. Bullard (inventor of the Overman steam pump for Locomobiles.) Another is devoted to Historical Photographs; some of the "exhibits" in this wing will move to new "wings" for other builders as I get enough material. I am planning on a Dean Bros. wing; and hope to do one for Union Steam Pump and American Steam Pump as well.

There is also a "Hall of Nameplates", with pictures of nameplates from the various builders. One question I get asked alot is can you tell me about so-and-so builder; in addition to Worthington and Blake, the Worthington "wing" has brief histories of the firms that formed the International Steam Pump Co.; which in turn became Worthington Pump and Machinery following the loss of Benjamin Guggenheim and some important paperwork aboard the Titanic in 1912. Other brief histories of C.H. Evans, Gorden, and Mumford can be found scattered among the captions in the museum.

The final wing is an exhibit of photographs taken mostly by Larry Tucker of the former Solvay Coke Plant in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and it's steam compressor house prior to its demolition. My thanks to Larry and the many others who have contributed material to the "museum."

Enjoy!

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: "Steam Lizards Virtual Museum"

Anyone know what happened to Jim Hebners's website survivingworldsteam.com

I clicked the link above and it indicates that the site has been discontinued.

Thats too bad because Jim had a lot of information on his site and he has been very helpful to a lot of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to GarysToys:
Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: "Steam Lizards Virtual Museum"

Hi, and thanks for asking.

I lost access to the e-mail account that I registered my domain with this year. So, I did not get the notice that my domain was expiring until it was too late.

I hope to have it back up shortly.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

International Stationary Steam Engine Society