Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

History channel steam crane rescue

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1990 times

Old 05-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Subscriber

Liked 275 Times in 140 Posts
Default History channel steam crane rescue

Anyone else see the history channel save the 50 ton steam crane from the Colorado timber? They are replaying it on June 3. I thought it would have sunk in the ground more than it was after 30 years of sitting.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Registered-III

Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: History channel steam crane rescue

I have not as I am out in the sticks where we are behind times. There has been some discussion about it on the Historical Construction Equipment Assc. site. I believe it is a 50B kind of like Rollag's 50B. I am hoping to get the show taped. I wish we would have taped the dismantling and moving of the Bucyrus 103C we have on our grounds. We do have a lot of still pictures though. We also have a Osgood shovel and Orton crane that we moved in on New Years Eve some years back. We had to take charcoal and heat the ground around the tracks, to loosen the frozen ground, so the crane could lift them on the lowboys.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Subscriber

Liked 549 Times in 161 Posts

I have attached a pic of the steam crane I think you are talking about. This photo was taken by Dan Adler of Colorado and was posted on http://www.ngdeadgoatsaloon.com/ It is a B-50 and came from the Panama Canal. According to Adler it was built in 1929 and is the last of the big units. It has a vertical boiler where as the 50-B in Rollag has a locomotive style boiler. I have attached a picture of the Rollag shovel it came from their web site.
Attached Thumbnails
pic33973.jpg   Bucryus Erie.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered-III

Liked 701 Times in 208 Posts

I happened to see it as well. Very interesting story. It was in such a remote part of colorado that it escaped the torch in WW2. The shovel was used until about 30 years ago and was abandoned. Amazingly enough they fired up an air compressor and all three engines worked. They greased the snot out of it and it crawled out to better ground on its own like it never stopped. The guy was afraid to fire the boiler They disassembled it and moved a few miles down the road to a mining museum and reassembled it. Never did hear if they plan to run it under its own power again . It would be a shame if they didn't
Old 05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,816 Times in 550 Posts

I read about a fellow named "Mike Henry" that had one just like that one.