Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Was the B&S kickstart Y only on washing machines?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1720 times

Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Registered-III

Liked 74 Times in 61 Posts
Default Was the B&S kickstart Y only on washing machines?

Was the Kickstart Briggs model Y only used on washing machines or on other equipment as well? I want to hook one up to a pump and was wondering what the most authentic starter would be for this application ( kick, handle, or rope). Which starter was standard to the engine if you bought it new from Briggs?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered-II

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Was the B&S kickstart Y only on washing machines?

Mike, I think MOST of them were used on washing machines, but not all of them. In the book "the legand of Briggs and Stratton" on page 73 there is a picture of one mounted on a model 100 powercharger unit. It mentions there use on PC100 and PC200 units as well. These units were before the ones built with the WM series engines. I dont know about the starter, I have only seen the foot start type, but you could probally use the rope start cup if the foot pedal wouldnt work. Good luck with your engine!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Subscriber

Liked 596 Times in 190 Posts

The parts list that I have for the Y only shows the kick start. I've never seen one with a rope start.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Subscriber

Liked 186 Times in 151 Posts

Our parts list shows a rope start pulley Part Number 61415. They also came with a Lever start. The kick pedal is the most common.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,006 Times in 198 Posts

It should also be added that the rope starter was a cast iron cup. The hand starter was also made of cast iron. The kick starter has many variations. I'm not sure of how many different types there are. I think I have five different styles of the kick starter pedal. There might be more. I'm not sure. I agree that the rope cup and the hand starting style are the more difficult models to find. Have fun collecting and displaying.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,364 Posts

Below is a picture showing a straight and a curved Model Y starter pedal. I may be dreaming, but I think I have seen a curved pedal that goes the other way - curving out away from the flywheel. Then there is the small tooth gear (earlier) Vs. the big tooth gear (later).
I think I have a blower housing from one that had a lever starter. It has a bracket with a rubber bumper attached that would be at the right position for the lever to rest against.
I have one with a rope start. Don't recall the Type # off hand, but it is noticably different than a kick start Type # (If I'm thinking of the right tags, I believe it has a 3 instead of a 6 in the third digit.....)
I feel the Type with no PTO crankshaft extension can definately be tied to washing machine application. Ones with a 'standard' crankshaft could have been used on anything.
One part that seems to turn up missing quite frequently is the tin cover for the starter clutch gear. However, on Types with no PTO crank extension. they never had one since the drive pulley was on this end of the crankshaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Ypedals.jpg  

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered-III

Liked 74 Times in 61 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

John- I think I've seen them with the pedal curving away from the flywheel, too.