Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

John Deere 1 1/2 Type E main shems/torque

Hello, I'm about to put a new crank and flywheels on a JD 1 1/2 H.P. stationary engine. Is there a...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 953 times

Old 06-25-2001, 03:23 PM
Tim

Default John Deere 1 1/2 Type E main shems/torque

Hello, I'm about to put a new crank and flywheels on a JD 1 1/2 H.P. stationary engine. Is there a torque setting on the main bearing bolts? and How do you know how many (if any) shems to use?

Thank you all, Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2001, 06:43 PM
Stanley Bessent

Default Re: John Deere 1 1/2 Type E main shems/torque

When replacing main bearing shims always place the shims snugly against the crankshaft. Put plenty of shims in (equal amount on each side), tighten the bolts reasonably tight (I don't know what torque). Then lift up on each flywheel to check for play in the bearings. If any play is felt, remove cap and take out one thin shim and reassemble. If necessary remove additional shims from alternate sides. The bearings should be snug, but not tight enough to bind. Same with the rod bearing and shims. It has to be done by trial and error.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:19 PM
Tim

Thanks Stanley....just what I needed.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Larry

Hi Tim! When I disassembled my 1 1/2 E I used a torque wrench. The main bearings broke loose between 65-70 ft. lbs &the rod bolt between 35 & 40 ft. lbs. A collector at the Sandwich Show (he had restored an 1 1/2 E)told me the flywheels should stop (when spun by hand) in 4 or 5 revs when the bearings are tight enough. Same for the rod bearings. Larry I hope to have mine back from machine shop soon so I can start getting it back together