Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Osage, Iowa show and videos

Friends: I just left the Osage show. Was beginning to rain when I left, and I ran into much...

this thread has 147 replies and has been viewed 12770 times

Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,003 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default Re: Osage, IA show...and videos

Mike & JBoogie,
That's really not too bad, considering it has about a quarter less displacement than a 110? If it was THIS Peerless, it only runs at 150 psi too. That Reeves boiler would be rated for 175 psi, so it does have more potential. That 25 psi on the top end, really adds up fast.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,445 Times in 453 Posts

I posted a quick video on YouTube of the Peerless Z3 finishing a row at Somerset. This is only a 28sec clip of a 5 minute video, and it doesn't show much of the actual plowing, but it should sound pretty good... I have a better video from last year that I'll try to put up, but this is my first attempt at YouTube.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNS38av6LcQ

Last edited by Brad Kelley; 08-30-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Thanks!

That, kiddos, is one sho' nuff piece of machinery!

All I can say is "Post More! Post More!"
Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Subscriber

RevJJ,
I have software loaded on my computer that block that website and am not smart enough to get around it. I do have to compliment on your recognition skills. Ya'all were sho 'nuff correct with your assessment of that masterpiece and its ability. There's only one other engine I'd place in the same category with this Peerless and that one is the subject of this thread.

I know it is painted on the water tanks, but this is a 40-120 Peerless... not a 40-140hp. That makes the feat it performs even more impressive.
Gary
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,445 Times in 453 Posts

Just curious, what's the story behind the 40-140 HP decal?

How's the 40-140 Rumely stack up against the Peerless and Reeves?

(hope this thread isn't going too far off topic?)
Here's another vid of the Peerless Z3 spinning out in the mud at last year's Somerset Pasture party. It's pretty interesting to see a Traction Engine loose traction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ_jGEXSM5c

Last edited by Brad Kelley; 08-30-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,096 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFrye
No Highwheeler, those are neat N & S pictures (not that the Reeves weren't good), besides they show the world that we used to make more than just ceral in Battle Creek which is very close to where I lived when I was little.

Also have got to agree with an earlier poster, you have one excellent collection of old photos and that is my favorite thread thanks to Colin.

Harry

They also made more than N&S tractors in battle creek. What starts with A and ends in DVANCE?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered-III

All,

I have been out of the loop for about 3 weeks due to work......

WOW has this place been smoking!

You all know my opinion..... Sorry Colin

Mike Too
Old 08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kelley
Just curious, what's the story behind the 40-140 HP decal?

How's the 40-140 Rumely stack up against the Peerless and Reeves?
Brad,
Those "decals" are something I'd classify as "Moniker" and I don't know whether they were a decal or hand painted. The same shed had the "40-140" Rumely and this "40-140" Peelress. The Rumely was a 36... and like I said, this Peerless is a 120. I guess in both cases, 40-140 does sound larger?

I don't know that much about the big 36 Rumelys out there. I've been told there "aren't" any surviving 40-140 Rumelys and am not postive of that statement, which I heard at Rollag last year, as I was watching that 36hp on the Prony brake, pulling with reduced pressure. I'm sure the big Rumely was no slouch in its day. Kevin Small placed a photo in the Newer Pictures of Old Engines thread showing Willis Abel's "40-140" (36) Rumely pulling the 20 bottom plow at Finleyville, PA, so it is no slouch today.

Judging from my photos of Noble's outfit at Nobleford above the 49th, and Colin's comments in an earlier thread, the Rumely took the rear, behind the 32 cc Reeves engines and the 110 Case engines. The Averys were of a different enough speed, from the afore mentioned engines, they were put in a field all by themselves.

There may likely never be a showdown of the big boys, due to logistics?
Gary

Last edited by Craig A; 08-31-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Registered-III

I am not sure we should be comparing the plowing ability of the 40 Peerless with the other giants--If I recall correctly what 20highwheeler told me, the 40 Peerless has been modified/altered, giving it considerably more traction then it had as it would have come from the factory. That being the case, and no longer "stock" it would have to compete today in a different class--maybe there would be no competion as it would maybe be in a class all by itself? My intent is not to take anything away from a fine and powerful engine--My intent is to merely point out that this huge Peerless is not stock, and should not be compared with other engines that are "stock". It is obviously a very powerful engine--but a flaw in Peerless's design gave it more power than its traction could use-- I would find it very interesting to find out what it really could do as a plowing engine as it came from the factory. Maybe with its correct wheels, it would be only a very powerful 14??? or XXX? plow tractor B-4 it would lose traction and dig itself into the ground. Gary can point out some facts for us--but unless it will be restored to like it was when new, we can speculate all we want, but we will never know what it could do when new.
chuck
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Subscriber

Chuck,
Willis owned an original, beautiful Z-3 Peerless; an original Z-Z Peerless and kept this Z-3 Road Locomotive. I don't know his reasoning, but it was likely influenced with what this engine could do. I placed a picture of Austin and Willis beside his original Z-3.

This was Willis' Z-Z Peerless.

Then of course anyone who buys postcards on "that" site has this one of a Peerless pulling plows. Could it have pulled more plows? Possibly, as it ran higher pressures than the Z-3 Road Locomotive.

So, I don't know why Willis parted with the two original stock Peerless engines and kept the "hot rod" but its ability was likely a factor?

We're all going to die doing a bunch of wondering "what if" about steam engines. It's like the Case RL. Rodney Pitts was a personal friend, but I still have a doubt or two regarding the Case RL pulling "50-some" bottoms. If someone would say, "disk plow disks," I would "buy it."

You are correct about the Z-3 Road Locomotive... It should be running in the modified category, even though only running 150 psi.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 08-31-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered-III

Was the only modification done, the swapping of the drive wheels? What are the B-4 and after wheel sizes involved? Was this swap done during the restoration process because the correct wheels could not be located? Or did Austin already know that the engine had more HP than traction? And his intent was to make it into a better machine?
chuck
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Subscriber

Chuck,
Austin drove his truck to Joe Battles' sawmill to buy a Z-3 Peerless. When he arrived, he discovered the driver wheels long gone, sold to the county. They removed the jacketing from the boiler barrel, which had been inside a building with a leaky or collapsed roof. The asbestos inside the jacketing was wet and the barrel was pitted beyond repair (for those days).

(Back then buying complete and sometimes running engines was the accepted practice for the old collectors. Putting pieces together as is done today, seemed risky and uncharted territory.) Austin found the road roller the county road department had used the driver wheels on and felt lucky until he opened a hole on the end where the county added water. The spokes of 2" rod had been cut out and scrapped with the drive hubs and bull gearing.

Austin had a truckload and took the motor, exhaust pipes, differential & upper cannon bearing with pinion gearing, the front axle and wheels, plus the two water tanks which had been welded together, top to top, and used for the engine inside the Battle' Sawmill building, up in the rafter area. He said when he got home, he wondered what the hell he'd gotten himself into?

Since the boiler was no good, WE Dearing told him in a conversation that he had a boiler up in Alberta (I believe?) that should furnish enough steam for his project. Austin said he also mentioned he needed a set of driver wheels. Dearing said he knew where there was a set in the Frazer River banks that would be a factory match up to his boiler.

Austin went after the boiler first, from a 32 double simple Reeves Canadian Special. He said Dearing failed to mention that someone had cut a good size dozer blade out of the barrel. Austin said he'd driven his truck that far and the price wasn't too bad, so he ended up taking the boiler home, again wondering what the hell he'd done.

He ventured up into BC to get the driver wheels, also from a 32 Reeves double simple Canadian Special engine. One old man still working at the sawmill still remembered them being buried in the banks to anchor a dead man cable across the river, where logs were brought into the mill in the water. When the backhoe operator got the first one out, Austin was tickled pink, as they had the bull gearing and he knew of the set of 24" width extension rims he'd seen on a deer hunting trip near Forest Grove, Montana during WWII that would fit these drivers perfectly.

When at Max Tyler's place, he found out that Francis Tindall had a 32hp Reeves cc Canadian Special boiler in his construction company junk pile a couple miles west of Lewistown, Montana. Not only did this boiler have the correct thickness and radius of boiler barrel for his "dozer patch", it had intact flue sheets, front and rear, to replace what they were going to cut out of the double simple flue sheet, after the welder was done inside the barrel welding in the "dozer patch." This boiler also still had a Reeves smokestack.

The boiler, lower cannon bearing and axle, rear wheels, extension rims and smokestack all fit together without any modification, since these parts were all for a 32hp Canadian Special Reeves. Dick Tombrink and I have written in the steam magazines how the rest of the parts were adapted to this boiler.

The pitch of the bull pinions, still on the Peerless countershaft, did not fit the Reeves bull gearing. Austin had those gears cut out at a plant in Seattle. In my IMA story, I explained how Austin figured out what he thought he needed and what would fit, as there wasn't much room to play with. He chose a bull pinion gear with the smaller of the two sizes he was toying with, one tooth smaller, and I'm sure this factored into the engine's ability?

If you'd asked Austin when he headed to Joe Battles' sawmill, "Are you going to fabricate a hybrid - modified super plowing engine that will be a 20 bottom plow pulling hot rod?" the answer would have been, "hell no!" Is that what he built?... This old boy thinks so?

P.S. The reason Austin only negotiated with the Montana Boiler Inspector for 150 psi, he figured he didn't need that extra 25 psi operating pressure the boiler was designed for, to be helping tear things up.
Gary
Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,048 Posts

Hey Gary!

Any idea where Willis' "original Z3" came from? Was it the picture I sent?

Beth
Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Registered-III

Gary,

Thanks for sharing a great story--Why do you call it a road loco? I am leaving early Friday AM for the Rock River Thresheree--I will not return here until late Monday night
chuck
Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,076 Times in 66 Posts

Beth asked me to post some pictures she found and scanned. I will let her fill in the details. In discussion, we think this is the same engine as Gary Posted at Willis'.
Attached Thumbnails
34view.jpg   BWside.jpg   Colorside.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 PM

Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,048 Posts

Thanks KR!

These were taken at John Holp Sr's place back in 1977. If memory serves, the engine was heading East and at the time, it was the biggest one we had seen...except for our 32 Reeves which Charlie Harrison still had.

Picture #1: That is my brother Rol (age 12) up on the platform, my sister Barb, John Holp Sr, Wayne Kemler (Dave's Father), my Father Marv Brodbeck in the bibs, with the rest being the "Monk's Mill" crew from Mio, MI.

#3 shows Rol, Dad & Mr Kemler on the platform. The men to the side are Mr Monk & John Sandula from Beaverton, MI.

Beth
Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Subscriber

Beth,
I am not sure where Willis got his original Z-3? It appears this could be the engine you were discussing?

Chuck,
I Call Austin's Z-3 a Road Locomotive because it has two speed gearing. We had it open one morning while Case man, the late Kenneth Kelley, was studying its works and I snapped this picture from the side platform. There are two pins on the flywheel and it depends which one you engage, as to which speed it is in.
Gary

Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Subscriber

Chuck,
I remembered I had this picture of me on the engine taken in 1988, showing the clutch pin handles between two spokes of the flywheel. Compare this one to the one on Willis' original Z-3 and you will see the difference between it and this Road Locomotive.
Gary

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Subscriber

Boy............ It sure has been quiet on here in recent days....... I hope Colin isn't sick, or in a hospital, or something bad like that..... but is off running some brand of steam engine somewhere and too busy to communicate? Now Chuck's gone away too....... Maybe things will "light up" here again, but probably after I'm all involved with getting our show up and running next week? I'm starting to feel like the Maytag repairman.
Gary
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,954 Posts

Gary,
I'm on vacation this week and at home, so I'm only getting on the 'stak about once a day.....I think I can offer an answer to where Willis' original Z-3 came from, if I'm thinking of the right engine. It was originally sold to a Mr. Boston of Versailles, KY, who used it for freighting. It was sold at auction to Sam Osborn, who sold it to Willis before Sam died.

I regret I never did get to see Willis' collection in it's heyday. In 1997, right after I graduated college, my dad and I took a road trip thru Ohio and PA looking at steam engines. We wound up at Willis' place, after getting lost numerous times, getting lost, asking for directions, etc......but he wasn't home, and no-one around who could give us a tour. Bummer!

You're right, it is right quiet on here without Colin around raising Hell about 110 Cases vs. Everything Else......
Mike M