Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Tiny Tim Generator/Battery Charger

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 11345 times

Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered-III

Default Tiny Tim Generator/Battery Charger

Looking for information on this generator/battery charger. I think it is a former military unit. Need a wiring diagram first. Thanks in advance. John
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts
Default Re: Tiny Tim Generator/Battery Charger

Hi John:

There has been other discussion on this unit on the forum, the total knowledge though is rather small. They are believed to have been made by Continental Motors for charging battle tank batteries and operating heaters.

The book "Continental! its Motors and its People" (ISBN 0-8168-4506-9) does not mention the smaller engines at all.

In the UK we have seen these, but very little has come to light.

Anything that can be added would help a lot of others as well.

Peter
Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM
In Memory Of

John;

I have a manual copied that I can send you, if you'll contact me off line. I get $6.00 for them. The manual I have doesn't have a wiring diagram in it, but I include one for a Delco-Light Little Joe, which is very similar.

The Tiny Tims had changes made every six months during the period of manufacture, so don't expect my manual to match yours perfectly, but again it will give you something to work with.

A picture here would help every one wanting help with one. Here's a picture of one I took at the Oblong Illinois show this week end. It is a two cycle so it probably won't look anything like yours, especially if yours is a four cycle. The small blue generator is a Delco-Light Little Joe. The Tiny Tim's were made by Continental, at least the engine, I'm not sure if they made the generator as well. However they are similar to the Delco-Light units, by being all made as a combined into one unit. The four cycle Little Joe's and the Tiny Tim's were so similar in size and style that it is a bit difficult to tell them apart, expecially if they aren't sitting side by side. The best way to tell is to compare the carry handles, The Tiny Tim handle is cast with the block and the Little Joe has a strap iron handle that is bolted to the crank case casting.

I hope this helps you as well as all those other folks that check us out.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-009F.JPG   MVC-010F.JPG  
Old 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Sponsor

at one time I had one even smaller
army signal core
used a carbon pile regulator which could be bypassed for battery charging
completly shielded including aircraft spark plugs and shielded wiring.
gave it to a friend for his boat.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schwiebert View Post
Looking for information on this generator/battery charger. I think it is a former military unit. Need a wiring diagram first. Thanks in advance. John
John: I have a Tiny Tim Operator's Manual and parts list that I would be willing to sell you if you are interested. The manual shows the engine and includes a blow up with parts etc. Let me know if you are interested.

mike tyler
ah3000@surfbest.net
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclops View Post
John: I have a Tiny Tim Operator's Manual and parts list that I would be willing to sell you if you are interested. The manual shows the engine and includes a blow up with parts etc. Let me know if you are interested.

mike tyler
ah3000@surfbest.net
Do You Still Have A Copy Of The Tiny Tim Battery Charger Manual? Contact Me If So.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

Do You Still Have A Copy Of The Manual For The Tiny Tim Battery Charger? If So Please Contact Me.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered-II

John,I have 2 tiny tims,and a operators manual with parts list for models L-65,L125,L-325.Would be glad to make a copie and send to you if it would help.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

I have a Tiny Tim Portable Generator that I would like to find information on. I see you have a manual, does it show a wiring diagram? I don't know what model I have, but you can barely make out the decal on the tank, in Army green color, that it is a Tiny Tim. Any help you could supply would be appreciated and I will pay you for a copy of the manual, just tell me how much. My email address is "auggiedoggy111@yahoo.com"
Thanks. Charlie
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered-I

Did you get any info on your tiny tim? I just got one and got the motor running cleaned up the brushes and armature,but it cranks as soon as i hook up the battery. I am wondering if there is a regulator missing. It looks like some wires have been connected as if they were bypassing some device. Also if the starter button is pressed it short to ground.GOT ANY IDEAS?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered-I

when i first got mine i had the same problem. i am sure you have a regulator missing just as i do. i wired it so it would run. cant remember how i did it,but will look at it and let you know. havent done anything with it in a while
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered-I

Default Tiny Tim Generator/Battery Charger

The Muskegon Heritage Museum just had a Tiny Tim donated and we have had it running. Go to our web site www.muskegonheritage.org and then go to our facebook page to see a video of it running. The museum tries to find items manufactured in Muskegon and items that work so we can demonstrate them. I am looking for more information on the history of these engines built in Muskegon.

I wanted to add a photo of the Museum's "Tiny Tim" So here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny Tim Generator.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered

I see from your reply on smokestak that you may have a manual and parts book for a tiny tim gererator. I got a very old unit recently and am trying to do it up. if you have any literature I would be happy to purchase a copy if that was possible. thanks liam
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Hope this helps.

Still new to this site. I've got a military manual on the 24volt unit. Have posted pics of wiring diagrams in another thread. Good luck finding them.
The Following User Says Thank You to boobear:
Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Subscriber

I have reprint manuals for these units for sale if you still need one. It has some sales information in it and service with wiring diagrams.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered-III

How much for the paper work and how do we git it? As I have 1 of these 12 volt.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Subscriber

Maybe I should clarify one thing first as I wasn't very clear in my post. I have reprint manuals for the Delco Light Little Joe 6 & 12 volt generators, they cost $29.00 with free shipping. You can use PayPal if you want to, my PayPal account name in fdchief@aol.com. Send me your address too. I also have several other Delco Light reprint manuals for sale too.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Subscriber

I should probably clarify my previous comment. I have a reprint manual for the Delco Light Little Joe which is very similar to the Tiny Tim. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C. Wiley View Post
John;

I have a manual copied that I can send you, if you'll contact me off line. I get $6.00 for them. The manual I have doesn't have a wiring diagram in it, but I include one for a Delco-Light Little Joe, which is very similar.

The Tiny Tims had changes made every six months during the period of manufacture, so don't expect my manual to match yours perfectly, but again it will give you something to work with.

A picture here would help every one wanting help with one. Here's a picture of one I took at the Oblong Illinois show this week end. It is a two cycle so it probably won't look anything like yours, especially if yours is a four cycle. The small blue generator is a Delco-Light Little Joe. The Tiny Tim's were made by Continental, at least the engine, I'm not sure if they made the generator as well. However they are similar to the Delco-Light units, by being all made as a combined into one unit. The four cycle Little Joe's and the Tiny Tim's were so similar in size and style that it is a bit difficult to tell them apart, expecially if they aren't sitting side by side. The best way to tell is to compare the carry handles, The Tiny Tim handle is cast with the block and the Little Joe has a strap iron handle that is bolted to the crank case casting.

I hope this helps you as well as all those other folks that check us out.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Sir I have my tiny Tim gen. running and it runs well but it overheats after running for about 5 minutes. The carb. is not set too lean because if I open the needle valve 2 clicks it starts to run rough. The fan is unobstructed but moves very little air for cooling. Can anyone help me out with this problem. ( I am new to arcs and sparks )
Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,638 Times in 1,359 Posts

Sadly, Delco Don passed away a few years ago. He was regarded as an authority on Delco plants. He was also one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet.

I Can Probably Fix That