Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Phoenix Steam Hauler photos

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 5137 times

Old 08-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Phoenix Steam Hauler photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
Here are a couple of postcards John Davidson let me copy and are fine examples of them in their element.
Gary

I don't quite understand what the photographer meant by "Arpin" on this one?

Gary,

I am going to take a guess at what Arpin meant.
A man by that same last name was a big time logger in centrol Wisconsin in the early days--He owned a tremendous amount of land--By about 1895, most all that part of WIS had been cut over, and the loggers had moved North. There is still a little village in Wood County, WI by the name of Arpin, that is named after the man that logged that area off. As late as 1900, (as per my 1900 plate book) The John Arpin Lumber Company still owned a bunch of the cut over land in Jackson and Wood Counties. I never heard exactly where old man Arpin went to after all the timber had been cut in Jackson and Wood Counties--But I am now going to make a guess that it was Rusk County near Bruce--And I'll bet that this log hauler was owned by John Arpin or his son. And it'll take a whole bunch of digging on someones part to prove me wrong on that one
chuck
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Registered-III

I believe you could be right, Chuck. The Weyerhauser family, also had HUGE holdings in the same area. If I'm not mistaken, Arpin & Weyerhauser were in competion, with each other & Weyerhauser was the winner. The Weyerhauser name is still connected to the lumber industry, today, but I'm not sure if any of the direct descendents still have holdings or not. Weyerhauser, WI is just 7 miles, west of Bruce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sindelar
Gary,

I never heard exactly where old man Arpin went to after all the timber had been cut in Jackson and Wood Counties--But I am now going to make a guess that it was Rusk County near Bruce--And I'll bet that this log hauler was owned by John Arpin or his son. And it'll take a whole bunch of digging on someones part to prove me wrong on that one
chuck
Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler
Chuck,
This is all I have of any Stevens engines. This first one is at Mount pleasant and is the first in line, on the right.

This is a catalog cut of a Stevens undermounted, which Avery sued them over, forcing them to stop building. I have a real cruddy picture somewhere of a Stevens undermounted cross compound pulling a house.
Gary

Gary,

Do you know what year(s) that Stevens might have offered that undermounted engine. It is not shown in any of the 4 Stevens catalogs that I have have. (1894, 1902, 1903, 1906) I have seen the one at Mount Pleasant, Iowa--it was run at that show for many years by a WI man--the late Durward Steinmetz. I have seen reference to a reprint that was sold a few decades ago on the undermounted Stevens, but I have been unable to locate a copy--maybe some one of the Stackers has a copy? There is at least one Stevens engine here in WI, but it has not been run in many years.
chuck
Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gieszler View Post
One of my Favorite photos, might be what Gary is looking for
This one seems to have two steering wheels up front, Why would one want to steer the front runners seperately?
chuck
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,089 Times in 1,565 Posts

Chuck,
It seems to me that it was 1904 and by shortly afterward, Avery filed and won a judgement against Stevens for their styling? I'm no pro on the subject. I put on a very poor picture of a 25hp Reeves cc and a Stevens cc moving a house.
Gary
Old 06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered-III

Gary,
I am sorry that my post, #25 was in regard the photo posted by Glen Geiszler in post #10 above and I was not clear. I think Glen's photo may be of a Lombard, and not a Pheonix? but it is that one that has two steering wheels up front, and I wondered what would be the advantage of being able to steer each front runner seperately? There is a lumber museum at Patton, ME today that has at least one Case traction engine, and at least one Lombard. Maybe the same one that is in this photo?
chuck
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered-III

Chuck I was just up that way to my farm, Too bad I did not find any of these rotting away on the back of the property. I did buy some repo photos while up there of a traction engine pulling several wagons of logs, also a steam crane loading logs at a rail head-looks like it is taking from a narrow gauge to standard gauge, and a donkey engine.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,313 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sindelar View Post
This one seems to have two steering wheels up front, Why would one want to steer the front runners seperately?
chuck
I will guess that the picture in post #10 has two steering wheels so that it can be guided from either the right or left side, not to steer the skis independently. The second wheel could also be linked to a different control like a brake. OR it might be a "Driver's Ed" log hauler
"There's just something about steam!"