Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other small gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Stihl MS310 chainsaw

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 10260 times

Old 09-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Registered-II

Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Default Stihl MS310 chainsaw

Can any one help? I fond out today that I need a new piston and cylinder for my MS 310 and my dealer said it would be $ 198.00 plus tax for the parts. I have been looking on line at parts but they are all listed as (024,028,038) and so on can anyone tellme what cylinder and piston will fit this saw? thanks for looking and for your help.

Thanks Harry!

David
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Sponsor

Liked 3,876 Times in 2,501 Posts
Exclamation Re: Stihl MS310 chainsaw

Unfortunately for you, Stihl has you by the shorthairs on their products. They do not discount, and most dealers will actually give you a hard time if you want to make the repairs yourself. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket parts available either The next question is: why did the piston burn out to begin with - it is so often a case of programmed obsolescence - they are designed to fail after a certain time, to force you to buy a new one, and in the case of Stihl, an expensive one at that. Don't get me wrong, they make one of the best, but you pay for what you get. When you get it running again, check the carb out, and set it up properly. If the fuel ratio called for is 40:1, use 32:1 instead, if 32:1, 16 or 20:1 is better yet. You will double the life of the engine. This goes for most 2 strokers, using 40 to one or less oil mixtures (50 - 100:1). When setting up the carb, turn in both needles until lightly seated. Turn out 1 1/2 turns each, start saw. The screw closest to the engione is the idle mixture screw. After engine is warmed up, adjust so engine runs its smoothest, and back out screw 1/8 turn. The screw further from the engine is the high speed adjustment. Open throttle wide, and adjust so engine runs at highest speed. Back out screw until engine just double strokes, and then let idle. Double check idle adjustment, engine should accellerate smoothly, then doublestroke at max throttle. As engine is loaded, cutting, it should be completely smooth at maximum load. If you set the high speed screw so that the engine 'sings like a bee', with no load, then it is set too lean, and it will melt down the piston in short order.
Andrew
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stihl MS310 chainsaw

The 290-310-390 engine bed is the same so a 290 cylinder and piston should work fine, the 390 is bigger. You may be able to clean the cylinder up since it is coated with nicoseal, some scotchbrite and patience will work wonders- then all you need is a piston and rings.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Subscriber

Liked 245 Times in 211 Posts

That series of saws uses an "engine capsule" as opposed to a removable cylinder on an alloy crankcase used on their professional saws. There are aftermarket cylinders available for this saw on ebay, but I've never used one. When I was a dealer, I had only one engine failure on a 290 that was off warranty but Stihl covered it anyway. Somehow, a ring got stuck in the exhaust port and ruined the piston. It was not lubrication related.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Subscriber

Liked 454 Times in 327 Posts

This thread is over 5 years old.... I'm guessing the problem has been resolved by now..
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered-III

Liked 656 Times in 302 Posts

Don't understand, why the age of a thread bothers members that have only been on the forum a short time so much. Since this is an archive of useful information, it is all good no matter how old! As the people reading it fort the first time, may find of some use as I did with Mackey's info on the oil mix and carb adjustments. since I have my dad's stihl saw that has been a pain in the seat cushion since he brought it back from the local dealers repair shop! Almost impossible to start and runs for crap. I will use his info and hopefully cure the problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Subscriber

PT, I can assure you that I am not bothered by the age of this thread in the least. I merely wanted to keep someone from going to any trouble trying to answer a question that is probably no longer relevant. Speaking for myself, when I answer someone's question on here, I don't guess. That means I have to go out to the shop, turn on the lights, fire up the computer to check supplier inventory, and/or spend some time digging through catalogs or manuals to find the information. Then, return to the house and post my reply. A lot of trouble for a question that is 5 years old. Just trying to save someone a few steps.

As far as all information in the archives being useful, well maybe, but that doesn't mean it's all correct... things change with time, and different approaches sometimes yield better results. However, the original posts are seldom updated to reflect this newer information.

Mix the fuel to whatever mixture you feel comfortable with, but might have to do some frequent decarbonizing on the muffler and exhaust ports on your dad's saw if you go much richer than 50:1 on a Stihl...
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Sponsor

Liked 3,876 Times in 2,501 Posts
Exclamation Re: Stihl MS310 chainsaw

Back in 2006, I gave, what was then, current info I had on the subject. Now days, some things have changed, others have not. I do find it interesting though, that someone brought this thread back to life after 5 years! Seems that the stak is doing it's job well - information dispersal at its best. Thanks to Harry, and the Stak, people can still read material they may need, long after a thread is done. Thanks, Harry!
Andrew
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Subscriber

Agreed, as long as those people who are searching for an answer read the entire thread.......... after all, I'm sure that if I looked long and hard enough, I could probably turn up a copy of a scientific manuscript that "proved" the earth is flat, and remained stationary while the sun revolved around it.

I might want to research that idea a little further before I used it in my thesis, however. As Andrew stated, archival information can be useful, but being old, and/or being in print, is no guarantee of being right.