Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

Semple steam engine

Does anyone have any info on semple steam engines? I believe they were made in Rhode Island. Also,...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 4350 times

Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Default Semple steam engine

Does anyone have any info on semple steam engines? I believe they were made in Rhode Island. Also, I am looking for a small upright boiler that is wood/coal fired I can run small engines at shows with. Thanks, Bud
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Default Re: semple steam engine

Pat Traubert has a couple of upright boilers he might let go of. He comes here from time to time, or email at pwtraubert@aol.com
Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Paine View Post
Does anyone have any info on semple steam engines? I believe they were made in Rhode Island. Also, I am looking for a small upright boiler that is wood/coal fired I can run small engines at shows with. Thanks, Bud
yes semple engine is still around. they are made in st louis missouri and the phone is 314 961 6244. my name is brushcutter on this site and i am looking a vertical tube boiler. anyway good luck. ick it is snowing in alaska.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Subscriber

I did not realize Semple engine co. was still around. Fred Semple was a friend of my fathers, I can remember him coming over when ever my father would have a steam up day.
I just ran across this picture a couple weeks ago, it was enclosed in an old Christmas card from Fred to my father, it is the paddle wheeler MINNE HA HA with 150hp Semple engine.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
semple.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz:
Old 01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Semple steam engine

i think i am correct but could be wrong.i believe i read a website that said they were operating some type of ijndustrial business in st louis. i am currently putting a semple engine togetheri found brand new in box with all plans and bluprints, however the postmark does say 1988 and the letter says and signed fred h semple this engine cost 1030 dollers back then you can leave message at sul.ak12345@live.com
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered-III

I was on a business trip to St Louis in 2001 and made arrangements to come visit the Semple Engine Company. I had a great time visiting the Semples and having a little tour of their shop. They also had quite a few other steam engines that had been restored, including one that was being used to power a small snow plow for clearing the driveway! It is located at (and under) their home in a neighborhood of ritzy looking houses. (quite a surprise in and of itself)

I wonder, in this day and age, how many places can you still go to watch 5 to 20 horsepower reciprocating steam engines being produced in a semi-mass production environment?
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Haus:
Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Registered

Good Day Brushcutter

This engine does not happen to be a 354-DL compound if so I am desperately looking for any drawings on this engine as I am from South Africa and steam enthusiasts are few and far between. Any help will be much appreciated.