Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

IHC wooden corn shredder--help needed

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2138 times

Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered-II

Default IHC wooden corn shredder--help needed

We currently have my grandfathers IHC 4 roller corn shredder in the shop. This is a rather old machine with the frame made out of wood. It was originally a Deering machine. We are missing the shaker/auger that caught the loose corn and ran it to a short elevator. Anybody got one of these machines and could send me a description or some photos?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: IHC wooden corn shredder--help needed

Are you referring to a 4 hole corn SHELLER or a 4 hole husker-shredder? Two different machines. I have a manual that covers shellers but husker-shredders you don't see all that often because nobody shocks corn anymore. A more common husker-shredder is the Frick-Rosenthal shredder. You can find some pictures and possibly a little information on them for comparison. Also, check eBay for manuals for your machine. You'd be surprised what shows up from time to time!

Jeb
Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Sponsor

Photo Re: IHC wooden corn shredder--help needed

Here is a scan from one of my catalogs of the Husker Shredder.
Attached Thumbnails
husker shedder c.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered-III

Hi John i have a 4 roll wood husker shredder what are you looking for i might be able to get yopu some pictures of it. As for the corn kernel chute it was made to put a bag or bucket under it there is not that much that comes out of it.
JEFF
Old 10-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered-II

Replying to a few differnt replies here. Definetly talking about a shredder, not a sheller. Ours ran the loose corn over to a probable bucket elevator. We are missing what gets the corn to the elevator--still have the pieces attached that held it to the machine. I think, given the mounting hardware, that it was a shaker we are missing. I forgot to mention this machine was practically identical to a 2 roller machine. I got a good scan from WHS but can't make out what is mounted underneath.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered-III

If pictures are what you need, call Binder Books at 503-684-2024 and tell them what machine you have, and they will have it. They reprint all of the old IHC and McCormick parts books and O&M manuals. Plus, they have mountains of originals too.

The only things I have had problems getting are some of the real old horse-drawn equipment. If BB does not have them, let me know, and I will give you a phone number to a place that will run xerox copies of the horsey stuff if they have it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered-II

Colin, didn't even think about Binder books. I figured they might not go this far back. Anyway, I got manuals from WHS last week---it is simply amazing how much they have for the old IHC stuff. Between the various pictures of the machine and the parts books we have figured out what we have to make to get the loose corn to the elevator. The only thing I can figure is it is so low to the ground that it go damaged beyond repair so my grandfather took it off. For some reason he also removed the ear corn elevator but we have found/made and reinstalled that.