Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Prewar CO-OP Tractors Into 50's??

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 6559 times

Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered-III

Liked 882 Times in 726 Posts
Default Prewar CO-OP Tractors Into 50's??

Trying to sort through what happened to the Prewar CO-OPs using Chrysler engines, Dodge Trk trans/diff etc. (the 30-35 MPH tractors).
If I'm following correctly, they were first mf'd by Duplex Mach'y Co (for the Nat'l Co-op) and sold thru Farmers Union Central Exchange, one of the co-op members (some references give Farmers Tractor Co.?) from 36/7 up to (and into??) WWII. Some production was at Arthurdale, 1938-40, but I don't know if that was in place of, or in addition to, Duplex production. There are references to 42,43,and 44 models.
After WWII Cockshutt took over the name, selling Cockshutts as CO-OPs, but the original design (CCptn running gear) seems to've lived on into the mid-50s in the Custom? Lehr Big Boy? Jumbo? (which may be Simpsons' Jumbo), Norseman? and Friday? all of which seemed to continue the CCptn running gear, including "Fluid Drive". References seem vague and contradictory. Any comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,789 Times in 674 Posts
Default Re: Prewar CO-OP Tractors Into 50's??

Well... I have seen Some made in about 1950 that are the same as the Duplex but with updated sheet metal badged COOP. I don't know who made these for sure... I have seen the Duplex ones in the No 1, No 2, and No 3 sizes. I have seen the later ones in only the No 2 or 3 size.

I know this don't help much But it's all I know...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered-III

Liked 297 Times in 259 Posts

The Co-op's were in need of modern farm equipment after world war 2 same as a lot of other dealers. Cockshutt Plow company was looking for dealers in the USA, So the fit was a natural, The coop's were approached about handling the Cockshutt line which at the start was only the Cockshutt model 30. It was painted a different color and had Coop decals and a Coop strip on the grill. That basic style grew to include 4 sizes and these four would be superceeded by the 500 series of Cockshutt tractors in 1958. You will also find some Friday and Love tractors made in Michigan for the orchard country that used Chrysler components. On the rear end, Cockshutt introduced the live power take off concept although coop was also in the picture. The rear end for the Cockshutt 30 which included the live PTO was built for Cockshutt by Timken. There are also several good books out there on this subject. Hope that helps. InIndiana the Coop's also sold the Cletrac general and also offered the Cletrac HG as being available. One model of coop also used a FC type Waukesha engine as well. More questions?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered-III

Ken and John: Many thxx for your comments; finally made more progress when I ran things back to the CO-OPs instead of trying to follow them! Quite a tangle; lots of differing details, but it's clear the prewar CO-OP #2 and #3 design was produced after WWII by Custom and Lowther (didn't find any reference to the #1, with the Wauk FC, surviving the war years) and others, sold as Custom, Lehr, Jumbo(Simpsons Jumbo) Mtgmy Ward, Love, Friday here and as Rockol, Regal and Norseman in Canada (and probably others I missed). There were references to Customs being sold in Canada by Chrysler dealers, some with straight 8"s, and Dave Friday using 2-spd diff''ls for 10 spds forward!
I'm still (slowly) trying to find where (if) they were built during WWII; ref's say all prod stopped but there are pix and ref's to 42,44 and 45 models.
An Arthurdale report said #2 and #3 model CO-OPs were also produced at "other locations, under similar agreements" (model village job programs), and Farmers Union Central Exchange/CEMEX supposedly had 150 or so built in a plant at Minneapolis, production from there supposedly sold in ND,SD, Mont, Minn ans Wisc as "Farmers Union CO-OPs".
And reading about Dave Friday was fascinating in itself.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,789 Times in 674 Posts

Those built in Minneapolis are probably the ones I have been running into... I've seen about 3 or 4 of them over the years. They don't have the Big Casting that holds the front end like the early ones do and have a sheet metal grill with horizontal openings...
Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Registered-II

Liked 556 Times in 51 Posts

Check out this web page there are a couple coops on it. The guy mentioned has a shed full of fluid drive tractors he pulls.

http://www.dennisbenson.com/wcapc/tractors.htm
Old 11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,460 Times in 808 Posts
Post Re: Prewar CO-OP Tractors Into 50's??

Duplex Machine Company was the manufacturer of the Co-Op tractors in 1937. Actually, a trademark application indicates that the company first began using the Co-Op trademark on september 10, 1935.

The Co-Op # 2 was designed with a Chrysler Industrial engine.

Various companies manufactured the Co-Op tractors, but after 1937 the scepter was passed to Co-operative Mfg. company at battle creek, Michigan.

Duplex machinery company at battle creek sent co-op tractors to nebraskas test facility in 1936 "test number 274 and 275" A year or so later the name changed to Co-operative Machinery Company, and in 1940 the trade directories listed them as the manufacturer of the number 2 and the number 3 Co-Op tractors. Shortly afterward, WW2 began, And that all but ended the Co-Op tractor line.

The farmers union central exchange is listed as the manufacturer in 1940, continuing untill 1945. first the tractors were built at battle creek, then at arthurdale, then to shelbyville in indiana.and finally to South St Paul, Minnesota in 1948. Tractor production at this plant ended in 1950.

Dont know if this helps any. You probably have it already. This came from the standard catalog of farm tractors by C.H. wendel.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered-III

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

There are also a handfull of Co-op tractors from the 30's that were built by Huber in Marion OH. Several were sold to the Co-op and some had it cast in the radiator, some did not but were purchased by the Co-op's and resold by them. This was in the early to mid 30's and they were the smaller tractors offered by Huber. Thanks Dale
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered-III

BC: many thxx for the post. After my original posts above I was directed to an artice on farmcollector.com, which (if my scribbling is correct) is titled "Gathering of the Hubers" by Jan Shellhouse. It includes "...by 1935 Huber upgraded the Modern Farmer with larger Wauk engine: L=std tread, and LC=row crop. A smaller tractor was built,labelled S and LS. Farm Bureau (Farm Bureau may be my abbreviation) bought a bunch of these and sold as CO-OPs". Jan's sources were "museum and collector sources". Another piece on same site (Restorative Therapy, O.H.Will III) mentioned that only 34 to 36 "Huber-built CO-OPs" were built, and that some "...Huber Modern Farmer Model S's were painted CO-OP red..." Other posts mentioned that the 34-36 "Huber-built CO-OPs" were Huber SC models, and one poster stated that a Huber CO-OP he'd seen looked like an LC Huber, so it appears that the Huber involvement, like almost everything else about the CO-OPs, is pretty confused. My understanding is that these models were phased out as the CO-OPs #1,#2 and #3 became available to the various Co-operatives' outlets. A fascinating history.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Subscriber

Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts

I purchased the Friday tractor that sold at the dome valley sale . can any one tell me what the colors of this tractor when new or did they use different colors.?? I also bought the Custom I think that is what it is but heard it called many diff names. have not found any tag or numbers on it. need to look closer but think it to be around 1949 or 1950 . thanks for any help Buster
Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered-III

Liked 297 Times in 259 Posts

There are a several Friday's around here. They are not Coop's. A good friend of mine has a late model. It has factory Power steering!. They were designed for orchard work. They are red in color. I will see him this afternoon. I will ask how hand it will be to get out of the shed. I will need to have an address to send you a picture as well.