Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

International Harvester LA & LB Engines

Hey folks, first time poster here. I'm really enjoying the site and kudos to all who help manage...

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 20323 times

Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Registered-I

Default International Harvester LA & LB Engines

Hey folks, first time poster here. I'm really enjoying the site and kudos to all who help manage it. My dad just recently purchased two International Harvester Hit and Miss engines. One's a LA and the other is a LB. I've been researching and trying to find some historical info and pretty much anything dealing with these machines to aid him in his planned restoration. I've done a few searches of the forum and have succeeded in finding a few tidbits on the subject. I really, however, am looking for a little more detailed information. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a source of this type?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,870 Times in 822 Posts
Default Re: International Harvester LA & LB Engines

bwze,
Try this link for a manual.
http://www.oldengine.org/docs/IHC_LA_OM.pdf
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered-II

Does anyone know if there is a link for the IHC 1 1/2 M early under stricker. Thanks. Randy
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwze View Post
My dad just recently purchased two International Harvester Hit and Miss engines. One's a LA and the other is a LB.
LA & LB engines are throttle governed, not hit & miss.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered-III

Default Binder Books

Call Binder Books at 503-684-2024 for any and all manuals for the International Harvester and McCormick engines. They have the manual for the LB, for the LA, for the early Ms, and the combination one that covers the later Ms and the L and LA.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Registered-I

What exactly is a throttle governed engine......with respect to how a hit and miss engine works?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Registered-III

Throttle governed engines work exactly like your modern lawn mower engine with a governor opperating the butterfly in the carb to control speed. A hit and miss uses the governor to latch the exhaust valve open untill the engine slows enough for the governor to unlatch and let the exhaust valve operate again. The engine just coasts and does not take in fuel while the exhaust valve is latched open.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered-II

Before He tears them apart, tell him to loook good through the rear inspection plate at how the linkage going to the carb [right under the piston] is set. Thats usually the hardest part on them to re-time to get it back running.The governor assembly near the flywheel turns this linkage going to the carb to control speed and is preset with tension. My dad had A LA in the shed for years, said he was going to rebuild it, I finally did two years ago and got it running.Somehow I ended up with 2 LA'S and 3 L B'S, a Hercules, a Stover, a Massey Harriss, and I think I got a bug of some kind out of that old L A. and I cant name any more for I'm afraid my wife may read it.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

howdy... i am jim poteet, austin tx. work on import cars... found an old, LB Intl.harvester stationary engine in a field. all there and not too rusty still free. one rocker is broken... missing valve springs and keepers. oiler also missing... this one will likely run if parts can be found. there is an `antique tractor and stationary engine meet in stonewall tx, mid june. looking for pieces thanks,..
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered-III

Go to this site and you will find a manual for a LB - http://www.oldengine.org/members/allen/techindex.html
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered-II

way to go keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithT View Post
Before He tears them apart, tell him to loook good through the rear inspection plate at how the linkage going to the carb [right under the piston] is set. Thats usually the hardest part on them to re-time to get it back running.The governor assembly near the flywheel turns this linkage going to the carb to control speed and is preset with tension. My dad had A LA in the shed for years, said he was going to rebuild it, I finally did two years ago and got it running.Somehow I ended up with 2 LA'S and 3 L B'S, a Hercules, a Stover, a Massey Harriss, and I think I got a bug of some kind out of that old L A. and I cant name any more for I'm afraid my wife may read it.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Subscriber

Hey Jim, that Stonewall show is now on Hwy. 16, at the Gillespie county fairgrounds, about 3 miles South of Fredricksburg, on the West side of the Hwy.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Subscriber

If you need parts or a manual for la's or lb's go to one of the sponsors on here www.hitnmiss.com then print off the manual. They have almost all the parts needed to get an la or lb engine running at a reasonable price.
Johnny
Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Beasley View Post
Throttle governed engines work exactly like your modern lawn mower engine with a governor opperating the butterfly in the carb to control speed. A hit and miss uses the governor to latch the exhaust valve open untill the engine slows enough for the governor to unlatch and let the exhaust valve operate again. The engine just coasts and does not take in fuel while the exhaust valve is latched open.
My LA has no linkage to carb and no butterfly throttle.It just sucks up the fuel from tank with a check valve tube and mixes with air.What do they call these enginesIt has an outside governor control arm to set the hp.When i tore it apart the gov controls the valve system,the engine coasts for a while before it hits.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Registered-II

Then it's may not be an LA. The LA will have a throttle butterfly in the inlet port in the head, not in the carb. The linkage to it is not visable with the engine assembled as it goes through the crankcase directly into the head.

If your engine has a governor working on the exhaust valve it may be an M or even a Mogul. Can you post a picture of it?