Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Gibson Tractor

I purchased a Gibson model D tractor from a fellow nearby. I have since learned about the Gibson...

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 7656 times

Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,195 Times in 584 Posts
Smile Gibson Tractor

I purchased a Gibson model D tractor from a fellow nearby. I have since learned about the Gibson company, and the tractors themselves. I have joined a Gibson owner's group online which led me to a gentleman who has parts I need.
I guess I'm wondering who in "Stakland" owns Gibsons and would like to correspond with them.
I find so many unique features about this tractor that aren't usually found in garden tractors, such as individual wheel brakes and a real live transmission and differential setup for a driveline.
One fellow looked up the serial number on the Wisconsin engine and dates that as a 1947. It sat out of doors for two years after a yoke on the U-joint failed. I brought it home and started it up with no tinkering needed.
If you think I'm rather excited about having this piece of machinery you're right!
Thanks
MoRo
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Gibson Tractor

I have a Gibson Model A. Mine has a 1947 motor but it may be a replacement.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered-III

Have you ever looked for the serial number on the frame??
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered-II

Guys,the ser. no. is on the right frame rail on top by the engine. Be carful cleaning to find it,you may destroy it.

STAN
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanks, Stan!! I knew it was on the frame somewhere, but was under the impression it was on the left side. I'm assuming you mean right or left when sitting in the seat, right??..I mean....left.............Oh shoot! Is that correct, sir??
Old 11-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered-II

Becareful now it's your other left. Ok yes right side as you are setting on the tractor.

STAN
Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered-III

I found a number on the left frame rail on top. It appears to be a 4-digit number. How many digits in the serial numbers??
~M~
Old 12-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Subscriber

MoRo

Dad and I purchased a Gibson Super d about 3 years ago and are in the middle of restoring it right now. It has been a slow processbetwwen all our other projects and with work only getting done during the winter months, plus I live 5 hours away , and the tractor is at dad's so I don't get to work on it much. Boy when we bought it, it was in much worse shape than we thought, The rearend looked like it had been sitting in a slough when we opened it up! The rearend, transmission, frame and front end are all done now. Next we need to move on to the seat, hood, dash, steering and the Wisconsin engine. I do not have any pictures on my computer of it right now, (crashed my computer dowloading the new norton antivirus and lost all my pictures I had not backed up ) But over the christmas holidays I will try and take some more and get them posted!
Will
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Subscriber

Found a couple of the original pictures of the Gibson D we purchases in my photo album. The first one is as we seen it at Fred Schneider's place, this was about a year before the three day tractor auction. The other two are a couple of pictures taken when we started to strip it down. I will get a couple of more pics posted during the holidays of the rebuild so far to date.
Attached Thumbnails
Gibson as found.jpg   gibson teardown 1.jpg   gibson teardown2.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Subscriber

MoRo

I have a original brochure from I believe 1947 on the Gibson Model d tractors. It has the specs and some general info on the Gibson D. If you are intersted send me your E-mail and I will send you a copy.

Will
Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

There is a Gibson Tractor Club and a web site but I can't find that right now.
On serial numbers for the tractors, I have two complete and one parts tractors, all model D. I don't remember on the parts tractor but the other two the serial number is on the left side as you sit in the seat facing the engine. Some were apparently stamped on the left and some on the right, I have seen both. There may be a letter, A, D, E, etc., that precedes the number which is the model number.
The model A was the first built and 1947 is probably right for the one mentioned in an earlier post. I know of no serial number lists that will date a particular tractor except the Wisconsin engine number if it is original. I can date engines with this info. One of my tractors has the original engine so comparing tractor serial numbers against mine may be a way to get an idea of the year of your tractor if it does not have the original engine. My second tractor is this way and both are apparently 1948 models as the serial numbers are pretty close.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered

To date your tractor look on the left side of the transmition just below the shifter lever plate. There you will find the casting date of your teany. Add 2 months to that date. That date will be as close as you will get to the manufacturing date of your tractor without company records. This dating works on the falowing tractors. Jaques Mighty Mite-Jaques Frazer-Farm King-Ottawa. This transmition ranges from 1945-1953. I hope this will help many tractor owners to date there there equipment
Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered-I

Hi MORO.
thank you for your info on the gibson tractor post this morning.
here is my email so we can talk and exchange photos of our tractors.
ktracey3@cogeco.ca thank you again...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

I need part # 98 for my Gibson D 1947. Any help in locating would be appreciated. Thank you BB Haigler 704 221 2874
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Koone View Post
There is a Gibson Tractor Club and a web site but I can't find that right now.
On serial numbers for the tractors, I have two complete and one parts tractors, all model D. I don't remember on the parts tractor but the other two the serial number is on the left side as you sit in the seat facing the engine. Some were apparently stamped on the left and some on the right, I have seen both. There may be a letter, A, D, E, etc., that precedes the number which is the model number.
The model A was the first built and 1947 is probably right for the one mentioned in an earlier post. I know of no serial number lists that will date a particular tractor except the Wisconsin engine number if it is original. I can date engines with this info. One of my tractors has the original engine so comparing tractor serial numbers against mine may be a way to get an idea of the year of your tractor if it does not have the original engine. My second tractor is this way and both are apparently 1948 models as the serial numbers are pretty close.
Need part # 98 for Gibson 1947 D BB Haigler 704 221 2874