Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Pickering Governor

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2279 times

Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Registered-II

Liked 71 Times in 36 Posts
Default Pickering Governor

Has anyone rebuilt their flyball governor to the point that they needed to replace the spring steel that the fly balls ride on? If so, could you please elaborate? Particularly, how did you determine which material to use?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to dig out my old college statics & dynamics books, but wanted to see if anyone has tackled this.

Thanks for any help/ideas, Paul
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,956 Times in 601 Posts
Default Re: Pickering Governor

Paul,

I haven't messed with a Pickering myself, but I believe that Ken Majeski is probably well suited to answer any and all questions concerning governors. I have had the privilege to speak with him some on this topic, but am far far from knowing too much on the topic. Best of luck.

Lawrence
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered-III

Liked 307 Times in 134 Posts

Get a hold of Suden1, aka. Joe G. He has previous posts here. He probably has some in stock as he rebuilds numerous governors.
Tom
Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered-II

Liked 198 Times in 66 Posts

I rebuilt an early Gardner spring governor some 6 years ago. The biggest problem was drilling holes in the spring steel (purchased from McMaster-Carr).
Since spring steel can have high carbon content the drill needs to be harder than it. I found a solid carbit bit at a local surplus too store locally that did the trick. Unfortunatly carbide is brittle and chips easily so I got just enough use to make the new springs.

Patrick
Old 11-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the help fellas. I surely appreciate it.

Patrick,

When you got your new spring material, did you simply measure the thickness of your old material? How has the governor worked since you've rebuilt it? Does it "wonder" at all?

Thanks again, Paul
Old 11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Registered-III

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point9diesel View Post
Thanks for the help fellas. I surely appreciate it.

Patrick,

When you got your new spring material, did you simply measure the thickness of your old material? How has the governor worked since you've rebuilt it? Does it "wonder" at all?

Thanks again, Paul
Paul what do you want to know. The material is spring steel that has been blued and you do better if you punch the holes rather than drill them. What do mean about wonder as I never head this term before. If you want know more call me at 618 259 5458 in the evening
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Registered-III

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

You can also try Paul Woodworth, registered on this site, at pwoodwth@adams.net He's the Gardner guy, but is usually happy to help.

Leo
Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Subscriber

Liked 379 Times in 167 Posts

I have replaced springs on my governor. I just measured the thickness and got blued spring stock in that thickness. Then I used a foot shear to cut the leaves to dimension, and a shim punch to punch the holes. I had bought some replacement leaves from a fellow who makes them, but the ones he had in stock were narrower than the originals, so I decided to have a go at making them myself. It's not a bad job if you have access to the equipment and the patience to work carefully to get the accuracy down. A commercial sheet metal shop probably could have made them in a tenth the time it took me, and more accurately to boot with some of the modern shearing equipment out there. McMaster Carr has the stock.-JM
Old 11-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered-II

I just wrote a note thanking you all, but my posting time limit ran out.

Sooo....

Thanks fellas for the reply. I appreciate it.

Suden1,

Wondering - the tendency for a governor to not hold a constant rpm. I believe some folks call it searching.

I'll post the reason I asked when I have a little more time. Thanks for your number. I'll definately keep it handy.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 11-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered-III

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

The so called wondering is cause not the proper tenion on the balance spring as the pickering manual setting shows. And also by to much wear in the valve.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered-II

Liked 198 Times in 66 Posts

Yup. I measured the existing steel with calipers and bought material as close as I could to the original.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered-II

Liked 47 Times in 12 Posts

where can i get a pickering governer manual?
tex holliday
Old 11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Subscriber

Liked 997 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point9diesel
Wondering - the tendency for a governor to not hold a constant rpm. I believe some folks call it searching.

I'll post the reason I asked when I have a little more time. Thanks for your number. I'll definately keep it handy.

Thanks again,

Paul
You might mean wandering? I have used and heard the term "hunting" arround here to discribe a governor that doesn't hold a steady RPM

Last edited by Craig A; 11-22-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:01 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 4,552 Posts

Hunting is the term I've heard and use as well.
Correcting hunt can drive you even when you THINK you know ALL about governors............

Some years ago, a guy not TOO far away sold a perfectly good 80hp Case as it wouldn't govern well.
Turned out to be mismatched pulleys so the governor was not running at it's rated speed..............
Old 12-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Registered-II

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've heard it called hunting as well.

Have a good weekend,

Paul
Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,789 Times in 674 Posts

Well... Once in a while governor problems can be traced to the engine being out of time hitting on one end more than the other... This can cause a jumping governor. Pickerings seem to pick up on this more than the other makes as they seem to be quicker... Getting things timed Right seems to make a world of difference.... If the governor jumps worse running one way than the other this is a good place to look...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,058 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Majeski View Post
Well... Once in a while governor problems can be traced to the engine being out of time hitting on one end more than the other... This can cause a jumping governor. Pickerings seem to pick up on this more than the other makes as they seem to be quicker... Getting things timed Right seems to make a world of difference.... If the governor jumps worse running one way than the other this is a good place to look...

Ken is right on that, as an ADVANCE-RUMELY at Rollag is out of time . . . has been for many years, and the PICKERING governor is sensitive enough, it's picking this up, and it opens & closes slightly for every revolution of the engine.

The movements on a PICKERING or JUDSON governor aren't straight-lined, or right-angled, thus every movement of the weights has a different movement on the valve. That is, when the weights start moving outward, the valve moves the least, and the farther out the weights are, the larger the valve movements. That's why they can be overly sensitive when the weights travel outward to their limit, and will "hunt" under load. (The 110 h.p. CASE skid engine at Rollag is set that way, and needs to be tuned in!)

If a PICKERING or JUDSON governor isn't sensitive enough, release some of the spring tension to get the weights farther out. If too sensitive increase the spring tension to bring the weights farther in.

If the governor speed it too low, they become erratic, so check its speed.

Gary K