Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Homemade Penetrating Oil

Alright, lets hear everyones best homebrew penetrating mixtures for freeing rusted parts like...

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 20278 times

Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Homemade Penetrating Oil

The same ingredient in Coke ( citric acid ) that eats rust can be purchased in powder form. if you want to try some, shop around on the net for it. I tried some on iron and steel several years ago with no results but it does work on freeing up aluminum and steel parts which are stuck together. Add the powder to water till no more will dissolve into the water, build a little dam of modeling clay around the stud and pour some in. be prepared to wait a long time for results. It took a month to free that head up.
Iron Wolf
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Registered-II

I know of a seventy + year old gentelman that swares the lintement works. He said it will take a while but works well. He used it on a stuck piston and set the engine on end with the head off filed piston and let set for two months before it disappeard. Then used a wood block and hamer to free the piston.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,088 Times in 327 Posts

daniel,

that ingredient in coke is actually phosphoric acid.

my not so secret "snake oil" is 1 part ATF,1/2 part kroil,1/2 part marvel mystery oil mixed up in a mister bottle. it works fast and when you add just a small amount of heat it works faster. you can see it "fizz" out the corrosion.

we used it to free the piston on my unc's schramm that not even pb blaster and gibbs would touch. just hosed the bore and put a heat gun in the hopper, about 15 minutes later it tapped right out.

i also use it on my peerless (sat outside for 40 years) and i had zero success with pb blaster, free all, you name it, i tried it. if you are familiar with the shifting eccentric valve motion on geisers, you know that there is a pin inside of the hollow crankshaft that slides back and forth to move the eccentric for forward and reverse. well she was stuck tighter than a dolphin's @$$. douched it real good with the "snake oil", came back out a day later and with a few light taps of a brass hammer she was as free as when it left the factory in 1917.

try it....
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered-III

Hi all, I have had good luck recently with AC delco penetrating fluid, i started to use it when i started my new job at a Delco dealer, i soon found it to be 10x wd40, no kidding. had a road salt seized pulley on a large alternator, i heated and pulled to get it off, was about to wreck the pulley,, so left it stand a few days, chris went to pick up the Alt by the pulley and he allmost fell in the parts washer it came off in his hand!!! at 3$ a can its worth a try belive me
Old 12-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,333 Posts
Exclamation Re: Homemade Penetrating Oil

The trick to using Coke, is that it has sugar (corrosive), and a tiny amount of oxalix acid in the formula. An old radiator cleaners trick was to drain the cooling system, flush with water, drain, and put in a quart of coke syrup, add water 'till full, then run for 1/2 Hour. thr radiater core would be clean as could be. Personally I make my own 'bust it loose solution'. It is extremely flammable, NO open flames around this stuff 1 cup gasoline, 1 cup kerosene, 1 cup Liquid Wrench, and 1 cup Ford ATF. load cylinder head area full to top, install air fitting to pressurize fluid, pump up to 100 PSI, and let sit, until fluid seeps past piston. This has worked well on quite a few engines I have had to get loose.
Andrew
Old 12-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Registered-III

[QUOTE=JBoogie;185596]daniel,

I dont know what chem. book you got that info. from but don't ever try mixing Phosphoric acid and water and drinking it. The Phosphate used in soft drinks is not the same thing as Phosphoric acid!!!!!
Iron Wolf:
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Registered-II

Well, i might add my 10cents worth here as well. I've been in my trade now for over 30 years and i agree with a lot of the posts on this subject. No amount of penetrating oil will work unless you can 'crack" the rust to let the oil do its work. Putting penetrating oil on a rusty nut and bolt won't work unless you can first free it up and allow the oil to penetrate. Unlike some guys here, i prefer to use a little gentle heat when freeing up engine parts such as pistons etc. The theory here is to use gentle heat such as a propane torch to get an area warmed up instead of using heat such as an oxy acetylene torch which if not used properly can heat up a small area very quickly. Propane will heat it much slower provided you keep the torch moving. Once i have warmed the cyclinder and expanded it away from the piston, i use a thin oil such as ATF. This process usually works very well for me but most guys have their own method. An old friend down the road from me swears by olive oil as it seems to penetrate very well when warmed up. Anyway fellas, i'll throw my ideas back into the forum and hope it has helped in some way !! Cheers...Superglide (Dave)
Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,635 Times in 547 Posts

[QUOTE=Daniel Dorece;185748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoogie View Post
daniel,

I dont know what chem. book you got that info. from but don't ever try mixing Phosphoric acid and water and drinking it. The Phosphate used in soft drinks is not the same thing as Phosphoric acid!!!!!
Iron Wolf:
Well, on my 20 oz. bottle on my desk, the #6 ing. is PHOSPHORIC ACID. I do thing it has a lower pH than the stuff in your gut.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,088 Times in 327 Posts

thanx for having my back JH.

daniel, it's a SUPER low percentage.

by the way: i used to work in a chemical warehouse
Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered-III

I use brake fluid exactly like the below post with the furnace oil. If you put a rag in it, it will burn like a candle, nice, slow and hot. I have used this before and it works, piston did not fall out but came out with some tapping. Also used charcoal in the hopper on a couple of occasions. Anyone have anything to say about Kroil?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Registered-III

Exclamation Re: Homemade Penetrating Oil

I have used marvel mystery oil mixed with several other stuff . deisel, atf , pb blaster. seems to work if you work it in.
I saw a guy put a lawn mower clinton engine (I think clinton) in the acid vat that they use to boil automobile cylnder heads with.
Cool thing was the cylnder came out as clean as a whistle. the rod was there but the aluminum piston (stuck i might add) had desolved.
better to loose a piston than beat a block all up.
never tried it but that piston was GONE!!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered-II

Sounds like it was high in caustic Toolman. I was mixing up some caustic some years back to use as a paint stripper. I decided to use warm water and mix it in an old aluminium container. I just couldn't believe it...the container just dissolved in front of my eyes !!! Needless to say, i learnt my lesson from that one !! lol.
Cheers...Superglide (Dave)
Old 12-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,468 Times in 862 Posts

I'm sure some things work much better than others, but I don't think there is any "magic" recipe for the real badly stuck ones.
I had a 1 1/2 Economy that I filled up the cylinder, put 120 P.S.I air hose to it, let it set for days... Nothing. If I heated up the cylinder real good with an oxy-acetylene torch it would just start to barely seep past the rings... in one tiny spot! Left it set that way for days, many heating/cooling cycles, steady air pressure... Finally, more heat, more mechanical pressure, more impact, it finally came. I think electrolysis is the closest thing to magic, but I didn't know about it then. Anything that magically falls out after a little soaking in your favorite brew wasn't stuck as bad as you thought it was. But again, I'm sure some works much better than others. Kevin
Old 12-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus_k6 View Post
Had an older gentleman tell me years ago, to free a stuck piston, if there is room in the cylinder, set the engine outside with the head off, lean it against a tree or something that wont catch fire,on the flywheels, fill the cylinder with furnace oil, or heavy grade heating oil and let it burn till its all gone, he said by morning the piston will either have fallen out on the ground, or be loose enough you can pull it out by hand, never tried this method personally, but in theory it makes sense, your heating the cylinder as well as allowing lubricant down the sides of the piston at the same time, should work.
One of the guys on jd site shows a picture of this.
http://www.johnnypopper.com/forums/i...13014&hl=burn&
Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Registered-II

Turpentine and light oil. 2/3 turps and 1/3 light oil. Stinks but seems to work.

The key to any penetrating oil is that you need to let the displaced air escape....

When the oil goes in, any air in the spaces has to leave. But the spaces are very small, and easily clogged with oil which blocks the air in. Air in such small spaces does not bubble out as it would in a larger space.

So if you dunk the part, oil has a harder time penetrating. Get the oil on one side, and leave the other side open for the air to leak out of.

If you can heat, that's good, but the heating isn't the only key, it is heating AND cooling. Heat to expand the air, cool to contract it and pull in the oil. heat also expands the spaces a bit, and makes the oil run better.

if you dunk, you sor to f have to heat and cool, since the only way to get the oil in with any speed is to force the air out first, and use the vacuum to "pull in" oil. Otherwise it takes a lot longer.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Registered-I

Mythbusters tried that on TV and nothing happend.
Myth busted.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Registered-I

Was a Millwright for 34 years. Tried all sorts of concoctions but haven't got faith in any penetrating oil. To me it is someone selling the Golden Gate Bridge, there is a sucker born every minute.

Have heard that oil of wintergreen works but every other mess I tried didn't so I won't run out to the Pharmacist to buy some.

The method already posted of starting a fire in the cylinder works. Gentle heat, much gentler than combustion heat cracks things loose and the fuel for the fire is also a lubricant that gravity takes down past the trouble area.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Registered-II

Time to drag a old thread from the grave

I made some the other night, I used kerosene, ATF, and hydraulic oil. I mostly made it to keep my metal lathe oily so condensation doesn't rust it. I soaked some other stuff with it. I noticed it stays where you spray it, its doesn't thin out and disperse like wd40.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered-III

Well 1 thing I find that helps any penetrant to work better is to media blast or other wise clean the edge of the piston ,top and bottom.
And clean whatever is exsposed of the cylinder.
The rust seal can useally be broken if the outer edge is cleaned.

Air pressure thru the spark plug oil will help force penetrant into tighter places than it would normaly go.

I unstuck a maytag twin piston with a block off plate on the ports and a grease gun connected to a modified spark plug base.
Worked well.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Subscriber

I use a mixture of acetylene and oxegon. Just prior to application I light it on fire, and then direct the flame toward the stuck part. it works wonders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom S: