Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Calling all Red-Kote Gas Tank Sealer User's - Need Advice

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 17873 times

Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 PM
In Memory OF

Default Calling all Red-Kote Gas Tank Sealer User's - Need Advice

Well gang today I started my initial preparation for sealing my Stover gas tank using Red-Kote. I have had the bottom of the tank brazed up by a local wedling shop:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild311.jpg

However after the welder brazed on it off and on for three weeks he quit as he said the more he welded on it the more it cracked. When he quit he was still getting some leaks out of the bottom through some small cracks that he had not gotten sealed.

I used a variety of tools to break loose most of the rust in the bottom of the tank, keep in mind that the bottom had really been subjected to a lot of heat over the last three weeks as the brazing process went on. Once I got as much rust loose as I could I took the tank to a local car wash and washed it out using the pressure wand. Brought it back home and used air to blow it out as well as I could and then put a 120 watt light bulb in the tank and sealed up all of the holes to let the heat further dry out the moisture in the tank. The tank is still out in the shop drying now but I took these pictures of the bottom of the tank just a few minutes ago:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild320.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild318.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild317.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild316.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...Rebuild315.jpg

Now my question: Do I need to try to figure out a way to sandblast the inside of the tank, it only has about a 4" opening in the top to get to the inside, and then apply some JB Weld to these cracks before I apply the Red-Kote sealer? I have been told that if the Red-Kote ponds anywhere in a tank it will skim over and never cure out. I am afraid that as wide as the cracks are the Red-Kote will go in the crack and pond up and skim over.

I will appreciate any advise you Red-Kote users can give me as I want this to be successful.

Thanks,

paul
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Calling all Red-Kote Gas Tank Sealer User's - Need Advice

rattle some nuts or something around in there to knock loose any scale or left over flux from the brazing. If you follow directions and rotate slowly to coat all surfaces the drain excess sealer out you should have no trouble with puddling,however if it still worries you leave tank on its side when letting sealer set up.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,008 Times in 271 Posts
Arrow Re: Calling all Red-Kote Gas Tank Sealer User's - Need Advice

Paul,

Me and my Dad use the tank sealer that Lee Pederson has been selling for years, not sure what it is made of but it cures overnight and is really tough and hard stuff, not rubber. It would seal up your tank with no problems. Although if you have any open cracks where the tank sealer might run through I would seal them with JB weld from the inside or outside before sealing the tank.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,008 Times in 271 Posts
Arrow Re: Calling all Red-Kote Gas Tank Sealer User's - Need Advice

Paul,

You can use muratic acid if you want to clean the inside of your tank real good. This can be purchased at most pool supply business. The fumes can be really bad from this acid so I suggest you do it outside and wear some gloves and eye protection. Put a cup or two of acid in the tank and rotate the tank every so often for about 30 minutes or so. If you have heavy rust then you may have to leave the acid in longer. Should make the inside of your tank look like new metal. Drain acid back into a bottle then rinse tank with solvent or non-oil base paint reducer and let dry. Then coat with tank sealer. That's the way I do it someone else may know of a better way.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered-III

I used muratic acid on a tank I restored and it came out great,just be sure to clean it good to get the acid out.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Registered-II

Clean that baby up with muratic or phosphoric acid. I have better results with the phosphoric. I find it at Lowe's or Home Depot it's sold as Cement etch/rust remover. You can also use Naval Jelly but that get's pricey. I usually cut the acid 50/50 with water and soak over night changing the acid until the part is sand blast pretty. Droping a chain in with the solution and agitating helps but be certain to wear protective gear! Don't forget to nutralize the acid with some baking soda, or is that powder? It's the same stuff you use to clean battery termanals. Now when your done with the acid if you have holes on the outside use some JB weld or JB qucik weld sets faster. You can use fiberglass cloth in with the epoxy if need be and thin the epoxy with a little acetone if it's to thick. Don't forget the handy trick of using the vacume cleaner to suck the epoxy into the cracks and such. Now when your all done with this use the red coat! Be sure to use that stuff outside as the fumes are nasty! I've don all my old engine tanks this way, even the new ones. I've also done the rear tank in my '93 pickup with this method including the epoxy and fiberglass cloth. It's been at least 5 or 6 years and that tank is still fine with daily driving!

Good luck, and be carefull!

Hank