Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

JW diesel air compressor

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 6611 times

Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,400 Times in 459 Posts
Thumbs up JW diesel air compressor

Well I've been working on a JW diesel air compressor. It is a 20 hp single cylinder with the air compressor connecting rod connected to the engines connecting rod at the crank . The Governor and injection pump was rusted up. I took them apart got everything freed up and put it all back together. It runs good and pumps lots of air. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this air compressor? It says JW Diesel Austria on the side of the block and the air tank has a date of 1957 on it
Thanks
Tom
Click image for larger version

Name:	air compressor0003.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	14821

Name:	air compressor0005.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	14822

Name:	JW aircompressor (4).jpg
Views:	394
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	14823

Last edited by Tom Sampson; 12-28-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: JW diesel air compressor

Hi,

J W is for "Jenbacher Werk" (my spelling may not be correct) I repaired the fuel injection system on one a few years ago. At that time parts were available. I do not recall the source though. Sorry, I wish I could tell you more.

Mark in NC
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Registered-III

Tom
I have a parts manual for a JW 220 KL Jenback diesel compressor. It has about 60 pages and lists the parts in german and english. It has exploded views of the diesel compressor. Send me $10 for shipping and handeling and it is yours.
Pierce
Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,400 Times in 459 Posts

Here is a short video of it running.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-viNgh0UQ
Tom
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Registered

Tom,
I also have one of these diesels, but mine is air cooled. Haven't had it running yet but maybe in the near future.
Ralph G.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 AM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 691 Posts

The company is now part of GE:

http://www.ge-energy.com/businesses/...r/en/index.htm

Peter
Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,890 Times in 615 Posts

Tom, It sure sounds good. It is strange how I seen to like slow gas burners and fast diesels.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM
RobStone

I Guess I might be able to give a little input on this in the next few days as I have had to do a little research to get my Jenbacher Werke Diesel kompressor going. I will soon have a manual as well. I have been told limited parts are available from the plant in Austria as well. I have been working with a gentleman from General Electric on the issue. As was said GE did aquire Jenbacher Werke. I have found when looking for parts for Austrian as well as german machines it is best to spell as they would. Try kompressor instead of compressor and you will open up a new world of search engine.This is my first post hope it helps someone get their machine up and running.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01621.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	24340

Name:	DSC01619.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	24341
Old 10-10-2007, 02:07 AM

Saw one of these in the sale area at Portland in 2003:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...ortland111.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...ortland112.htm

Peter
Old 10-10-2007, 11:49 AM
RobStone

Got my Jenbacher going as of this morning. 10-10-07 Just didn't have a big enough battery at the time. Once the ole thing got its throat cleaned out it seems to run like it was intended to.Makes an awsome amount of air. I believe at the lower 900 RPM setting it makes plenty of air as suggested by another owner I talked to on his experiences.Should have some answers soon from GE on parts availability soon.I need a manual and thought for others needing major parts I would find out what else may be available,If anything. I plan to post everything I learn from GE so it can be available to anyone wishing to spend time on one of these one lung cool rather inexpensive projects....So far that is.If anyone has past selling or asking prices that would be nice to know....R.S.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

Wow...I was beginning to think I was the only person with a old jenbach like this, until I discovered this site. Just bought mine a few weeks ago, without knowing anything about it really. It does have all the original tags and serial numbers, so I do know it is a 1973 Americ.-Jenbach model jw79, 20bhp, rated at 78cfm. The guy said it was two cylinder, but I am now thinking it is only a one cylinder? It's air cooled, which seems more like non-cooled. It looks very similiar to the ones pictured on this thread, but is enclosed in a sheetmetal housing with flip up access hatches. I can take pictures of it, or the model number plate if that would help anybody. I paid $1,500, and use it to winterize landscape irrigation systems. It works excellent, and is making me tons of money, but it is pretty loud, leaky, and smokey. Overall a pretty cool machine compared to $5-6k for the nicer ingersoll compressors I was considering. Once blow-out season is over in early november I will consider selling it if anybody is interested.

One question: It has a small knob next to the dipstick/oil fill area. It moves up and down actualting a small lever, but I have no idea what it does.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
RobStone

That is the oil strainer. Notice no oil filter in sight for that purpose it is important to change oil in a regular manner. What RPM are you running you machine at? I prefer the lowest as it makes plenty of air.I am restoring my shell and took it off to clean and inspect everything.This is a before I purchased picture..R.S.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01616.JPG  
Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

I run mine at the lowest rpm setting also, 1000rpm is the setting. It pumps the perfect amount of air at that level, keeps the pressure at about 40-60 psi with a few sprinkler zones open. It will pump a complete residential system dry in about 5-10 minutes.

If I go any higher it really starts pumping out smoke. At the lowest setting it really doesn't smoke much at all, except when it first starts.

The more I use this machine, the more I like it. I want to tear into it a bit to fix some oil leaks that it has, and learn more about it's mechanicals, but i am afraid to touch it until I know I can get parts. I assume I will probably have to make my own gaskets? I doubt autozone stocks any

Any help on some leads for parts, diagrams, manuals would be great.

For now I'll just keep her topped off with oil and run er', then tear into it a bit over the winter when I don't need it.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:43 PM
RobStone

I do have some good news. My contact at GE emailed me and said his contact at the plant in Austria is sending by DHL a manual as well as a list of all available parts for this unit. There is one funny tail to add about this. There is 1 guy who is qualified to look up these old units as he has been there a long time. This is what the guy loves. The gentleman at GE said they will do their best to support us as well as any other product we may have that they have ties to.After we get a few things figured out I will list a number that anyone who reads this will be able to call to get their Jenbacher parts contingent on availability.It is a U.S.A. number and likley a real person will pick up the phone as well. Just waiting on the good ole US mail as well as DHL to get it into the country...G.E. is so huge and has so many numbers Im glad to have tracked this down with a little help from everyone.....Thanks to all who have intrest in this article.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompressorDave View Post

One question: It has a small knob next to the dipstick/oil fill area. It moves up and down actualting a small lever, but I have no idea what it does.
It's probably the oil cleaner, used a lot on the early diesels instead of a full-flow oil filter.

It consists of a series of plates with a pre-determined clearance between them which traps dirt and carbon particles. The lever is to clean the crud off without stripping it all down.

Look at item 16 on the following engine parts page (Cub Diesel)

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...esel/Cub14.htm

Peter
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
RobStone

If anyone should need parts please describe to me what they would need for the Jenbacher and when I get my manual I will shoot an email to GE and see how things are going to work. It seems as this will be a case to case basis. I asked for a complete parts list and that seems like a block wall.On the bright side there are some things available. We just have to match part numbers from the book to what one needs. Let me know what manuals one may need as the use DHL to get them here from Austria and seems Fed X to deliver state side.My manual is in transit and am looking forward to reviewing it......R.S.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 PM
RobStone

Got the parts book and manual today. If I can help anyone till they can get their own please let me know.I will do my best to answer questions or email you a picture.....Rob
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
RobStone

There is a manual for a Jenbacher on Ebay 10-23-07 for a compressor like ours for under 20.00 if anybodys interested. Just search Jenbacher and it will pop up if its still there...Option 2 we can get you a new one for your year and serial number....R.S.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

Hi All ,

I wonder if some one can help me , attached is a photo from my childhood , my father used to own a genbacher welding generator (cold crank start) to the best of my knowledge it was air cooled and was manufactured during the 60' can some one identify the model shown in the pic ?

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Jenbach.jpg