Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

"Old gas" smell

Does anybody have a "magic formula" to get rid of the old gas smell in fuel tanks?:confused: I put...

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 4092 times

Old 01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 976 Posts
Thumbs down "Old gas" smell

Does anybody have a "magic formula" to get rid of the old gas smell in fuel tanks?
I put my Brownwall in the hot vat last night. Then this morning, when I opened the shop door, the fumes from the old gas residue in the cast iron base tank almost knocked me down!
I have heard of getting rid of a skunk scent with Tomato juice, but what will remove this awful stink? I've been smelling it for years, but there's GOTTA be somethin' to get rid of it.

David M.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: "Old gas" smell

New gas
Old 01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,944 Times in 976 Posts

Tried that! It just makes the new gas smell bad!

David.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered-III

Coleman fuel only use the Ozark Brand Wal-Mart sells.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanked 13,516 Times in 4,228 Posts

The way the NEW gas is now days it won't make any difference ANYWAY..............In a WEEK it'll smell 3 years old regardless.............
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,506 Times in 461 Posts

Laquer thinner will desolve the varnish, it's available at automotive paint stores in 5 gallon bulk cans fairly reasonable, about $25 last can I bought. It wouldn't hurt to try chlorine bleach first, less hazardous waste.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Registered-III

about 10 yrs ago? someone in gas engine mag .told about stinking up his shop or something with old gas.he went to the drugstore an bought 1 oz. of wintergreen oil.to get rid of the smell.if someone has the new gem cd archives they can look up the article and post it.i have the cd's but havn't had the time to mess with them yet! isn't old age great?-chuck
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered-III

Clean the tank thoroughly with acetone or naptha, rinsing it out several times and refilling with clean acetone or naptha each time until the naptha or acetone looks good and clean when you dump it out. Rinse with HOT water, then use compressed air or heat to dry it out as soon as possible. Then, coat the inside of the tank with a good quality gas tank sealer. The sealer will prevent the gas from impregnating in the pits in the cast iron.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,333 Posts
Thumbs down Re: "Old gas" smell

WARNING-DANGER

WARNING - DO NOT PUT CHLORINE IN THE FUEL TANK _ EXPLOSION HAZZARD

Chlorine is an oxidizer - mix it with hydrocarbons and BOOM. DON'T DO IT
Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 AM
Registered-III

You are making things up again, pouring bleach into gasoline will not cause an explosion. I do not recommend doing it, there is no point.

The fastest way to dissolve gas tank varnish is hot caustic drain cleaner. Not drano, use the pre-mixed liquid hydoxide. Wear plastic gloves and face shield. Or take the tank to a radiator repair place and have them hot-tank it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,181 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson View Post
The way the NEW gas is now days it won't make any difference ANYWAY..............In a WEEK it'll smell 3 years old regardless.............
Ain't that the truth.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Lyon View Post
Does anybody have a "magic formula" to get rid of the old gas smell in fuel tanks?
Hi David,
This is the hot ticket for eliminating fuel smell. I use it for effect at shows, but I've found that it eliminates the gasoline smell in the garage as well.

Summit Racing has a line of fuel fragrances that are used to reduce the noxious fumes associated with nitro and gasoline. It comes in about a dozen flavors such as Burn Out Blueberry, Rocket Cotton Candy and Cherry Bomb.

Get the little four ounce bottles, not the larger bottle that is intended for alcohol. Go to www.summitracing.com and search for fuel fragrance.

Rob
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered-III

Gasoline has alcohol in it, alcohol make chlorine break down in to chlorine gas. Not good. However,alcohol evaporates and should not cause any problems if the tank is dry...i still would not do it, use a solvent

Mac Leod
Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Subscriber

Hey David, take it to a show and run it so everyone can enjoy the aroma
Old 02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Email Not Working

How about when the engine you just bought tips over in your ford explorer, and dead gas runs everywhere. Mind you this engine was tied, it just took a hard left and tilted over. It sure ain't easy to get rid of that smell!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Subscriber

The great thing about this forum is that you can get an answer to almost any question.Some times there is a big differance of opinion and here in this thread is one.I respect both opinions but I wonder who is right as to gas exploding when mixed with bleach.I for one am not going to try it to find out. Mark:
Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,506 Times in 461 Posts

A local welding company used bleach to wash out the fuel tanks they welded, they did a lot of oil field welding, never had an explosion, I don't know their reason for using this, I would think detergent would have been better.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Subscriber

Clorox will rust bright iron or steel and right before your eyes. Take an ungalvanized nail, put it in a clear jar and fill it with Chlorox. Then just watch it.

Don't know about the gas smell. It seems like every tank I work on requires a different treatment.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Assistant Editor, GEM

Here is an excerpt from the aforementioned GEM article by Chuck Harris, November 1990:

So I got to talking with Jack Blair and Marvin Simon (two members of our club), and they told me to add some oil of wintergreen to some of the Liquid Wrench and shake well, then apply to the engine.

Now comes the fun part. Jack and Marvin told me that I should be able to purchase it at a local drug store. After five or six stops at different drug stores, pay dirt! The pharmacist did not look at me as though I was from another planet when I asked, "Do you have any oil of wintergreen?" He said, " Yes we do carry oil of wintergreeen. You are standing right next to it, it's on the third shelf on your right." He only had three 2 oz. bottles. I bought all three. I didn't know how much I would need to mix with a gallon of Liquid Wrench. Well, back home all three bottles go in to the gallon jug, shake well and applied. I did not notice any different odor right away, probably due to everything having absorbed the smell of the kerosene. Well that's enough of this for one night, I will see what it smells like in the morning. Next morning, what a difference it made. My whole shop smelled like peppermint! I can live with that! But it was the wife who had the final say. When I got home, my wife said, "I do not know what you did but it worked, I like the smell of peppermint better than the kerosene." With that in mind I did not care that the oil of wintergreen cost $2.29 per 2 oz. bottle. I would have paid anything to get the smell out of the shop because it was even starting to get to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered-III

erins,thanks i said the same thing in post#7 winter green oil works good in wd-40 ,liq.wrench ect.you can even put a drop or two on a hot lite bulb when it smokes it will make your shop smell nice.even a pint of wintergreen isoproyl alcohol poured into a nasty smelling gas tank and slosted around helps get rid of the smell some what.chuck