Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Signal Corp PE-108 E

I have heard that I need to use a jumper wire on the terminal plug to get it to start but I don't...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1908 times

Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Registered-I

Default Signal Corp PE-108 E

I have heard that I need to use a jumper wire on the terminal plug to get it to start but I don't know which ones. Any I deas?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,274 Posts
Default Re: Signal Corp PE-108 E

If you go to http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...ghlight=PE-108 there is a discussion on these generators. To answer your question about the multi-pin terminal plug, I have copied my information from that post below:
If you take off the flat tin panel on the end of the control box above the gen, I found inside a lithographed tag with the wiring schematic on it.
It identifies the round plug connections when looking at the back of the plug (inside the control box). I have identified them below by location when looking at the front (outside the box) as follows:
Looking at the plug (from the outside) there are 6 pins arranged in a circle and a 7th one in the center. Pins at 11 O'Clock and 1 O'Clock are connected to the 110 VAC recepticles. 3 O'Clock pin is starter relay. 5 O'Clock pin is 12V Battery (+). 7 O'Clock pin is 12V Battery (-). 9 O'Clock pin is for the choke solenoid. Center pin appears to be ignition kill, but I am not 100% positive on that - schematic looks like these may have been available with battery ignition as an option....
Hook up a 12 V battery to the posts shown on the picture of mine above, the + terminal is the one closest to the engine & meter. By putting a wire in the pin hole at 3 O'Clock and grounding it to the frame, it completes the circuit for the starter solenoid and should spin the engine over

Hope this helps,

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Subscriber

I have a PE-108B from 1943

This picture should help.

Use a 12-14 guage piece of romex. You simply push it in, and when it starts take it out. A very cheap key. I hang it on the battery cable. I use a small garden tractor battery mounted on that side of the generator.

I use mine mostly for lights, (600 watt) it was used for mobile command radio set SCR-543, either in a truck or base. The plug went to the Radio set, which had a remote control to start/choke and stop it by pressing the right buttons.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
100_0976 (2).JPG  

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1
Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Registered-I

Thanks Mike, I became the owner of this machine when my grandfather died. I am wondering what it might be worth? Is it an antique? Leland
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Subscriber

Well it is worth only what someone would give for it.
Realistically it is only good for 600 watts as a limitation. But it is a military item, and built like a tank, and will start off of and charge a 12 volt battery at the same time.
I paid $85 for mine two years ago in good running condition, no knocks or smoke if that is any guide.
I used it to power lights and industrial fan to dry things out during a flood condition last year, and I ran several tanks of gas through it. It was running at full load and then some, and never let me down. If you are a real survivalist, one could run a 12 volt inverter off of the battery and then charge that when it was depleted. In that case it was worth far more than the money I had paid for it

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1