Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

Guiberson Radial Diesel

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 8100 times

Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Registered-II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Guiberson Radial Diesel

I have a 9 cylinder Guiberson radial Diesel. It uses a Breeze shotgun type shell starter. Anyone know a source for shells? I may have to try something like nitrogen to kick it over. The Breeze starter uses a piston on a spiral shaft to engage a dog on the crankshaft end to spin it over. Anyone have experience using high pressure gas in these starters?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,358 Posts
Default Re: Guiberson Radial Diesel

Go to the following link for information on Coffman starters that are similar to what you describe.
coffman starter

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 AM
Registered-II

Liked 114 Times in 73 Posts

Hi Pacrat,
recently sold my Guiberson T1020 to a Tank collector mate to go back into a tank. Had mine some 25 years, lots of fun at Engine Rallies and Air Shows listening to comments from both radial engine savvy and non-savvy people. The looks on their faces when they coud'nt find the carby or spark plugs and discovered the injectors.
Mine was removed from a converted to a dozer tank after it blew a piston. I did get it to run. After chasing up the last of the injectors and fuel pumps here in OZ and some suitable rings and a couple of pistons and used cylinders I was able to tune it up and get it to run properly! After some running on the dyno at work it settled in and tuned up OK.
I had the back blow out of the breach one time and heard that people in tanks had been killed by these things, so I then chased up a large Jack & Hines inertia starter= MUCH SAFER at shows etc.This starter would start even an engine in soso condition--- mine when I first got it, and 2 others I have got going for others.
I think there was a post here some little time back about a chap over there who was starting his Guiberson from a Nitrogen bottle, gets about 10 starts I believe. Treasure your engine they are great fun.
Regards Eddie B.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Registered-II

Liked 114 Times in 73 Posts

Hi again Pacrat,
if you search under Guiberson on here you will come up with an article on Nordberg Engines in there Elden Durand makes mention of the Guiberson being started by 2,500 psi "oxygen cylinder" DONT== BIG BANG !!! . Im sure he meant an air or nitrogen cylinder== looks like an Oxygen cyl. I guess.
Hope this helps
Regards Eddie B.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Registered-III

Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts

The Coffman starters are kinda neat, but are also hard on an engine due to the sudden shock of the charge going off...short of reloading your own shells or using a gas bottle as previously mentioned you would probably be better off finding a good inertial starter. Most of these used a standardized mounting and driving dog so it is just a matter of finding the correct size to fit your engine. (I have one that fits the W-670, R-985, R-1340, and some others.) Since these were used on much larger engines, finding one that can crank your higher compression diesel should not be too hard. Give Sun Airparts in California a call, they may be able to help....you may also try contacting the AEHS (aircraft engine historical society--www.enginehistory.org) As you may know, the inertial starters sound really cool as you wind them up and then pull the lever to engage them! ...since I sold my R-985 I am thinking about adapting one of the starters to one of my Fairbanks-Morse engines.

rh
Old 03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Liked 4,033 Times in 1,785 Posts
Exclamation Re: Guiberson Radial Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bedwell View Post
Hi again Pacrat,
if you search under Guiberson on here you will come up with an article on Nordberg Engines in there Elden Durand makes mention of the Guiberson being started by 2,500 psi "oxygen cylinder" DONT== BIG BANG !!! . Im sure he meant an air or nitrogen cylinder== looks like an Oxygen cyl. I guess.
Hope this helps
Regards Eddie B.
Eddie:

My post must have been written confusingly (I do that sometimes!). The guy with the Guiberson I mentioned started it off an oxygen bottle that was filled with AIR. He used a scuba compressor to pump it up to 2,500 PSI with AIR!

I agree that the cartridge starters are hard on engines. I read in a WWII aircraft book that some planes were equipped with this system for emergency starts. The new engine was shipped with a box of shells and when they were used up, the engine was supposed to be removed and rebuilt. The shock loads from starting from the cartridges highly stressed the engine.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Last edited by Elden DuRand; 03-06-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: left .... out
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered-II

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Eddie:

My post must have been written confusingly (I do that sometimes!). The guy with the Guiberson I mentioned started it off an oxygen bottle that was filled with AIR. He used a scuba compressor to pump it up to 2,500 PSI with AIR!

I agree that the cartridge starters are hard on engines. I read in a WWII aircraft book that some planes were equipped with this system for emergency starts. The new engine was shipped with a box of shells and when they were used up, the engine was supposed to be removed and rebuilt. The shock loads from starting from the cartridges highly stressed the engine.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

I would really like to see that set up. I have an engine that needs 250 psi to start and I dont have a compressor big enough to handle that. I wonder what a scuba compressor costs.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Subscriber

Liked 373 Times in 156 Posts

I have a friend with a Guiberson Radial Diesel and he shows it at engine shows and starts it on Nitrogen bottle. He has a Tee handle valve that he can turn on quickly and shut off quickly. It starts on the first charge every time. Not sure what the pressure is regulated at.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Registered-II

Liked 46 Times in 16 Posts

I would love to see a Guiberson Diesel setup for a show. Any one have any pics. they could share here? Thanks men for the starter stories . Waiting for our thaw to kick in. - John.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Registered-II

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

http://www.agsem.com/jimchurch.html

Down near the bottom of the page are links to two identical videos, the only difference the screen size:

Jim Church Broadband - VJimChurchB.mpg
14,196,740b - 640 x 480 pixels screen size.
Jim Church Dial up - VJimChurchD.mpg
7,817,220b - 320 x 240 pixels screen size.

The second half of these 101.5 second videos, you can see and hear a
Guiberson Radial running.

Greg Hayden