New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Running mini hit and miss motor

Does anyone here know what is the going rate for a mini hit and miss motor that runs? I have always...

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 12451 times

Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,095 Times in 407 Posts
Default Running mini hit and miss motor

Does anyone here know what is the going rate for a mini hit and miss motor that runs? I have always wanted one but i mainly see castings for them and i dont know how to make them so i would rather buy one already built and running.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: running mini hit and miss motor

Chris, send me a private message and I will give you the name of a guy that may still be selling completely assembled, running engines.
Frank
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Allen

Barstock engines are often found fairly reasonable (I sell them see here, or check Harry's bizcard page!) . OTOH engines built from castings generally are quite spendy
Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: running mini hit and miss motor

Theres a Irwin model listed in harrys engine ads right now for $600.00
thats a real good deal on a entry level model.

JAMES gehringer
Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 AM
Registered-I

I have sent some emails off about model engines in the USA but have not had an answer, maybe people don't like sending too us down under in Australia, so if anyone has a contact I would like to buy one as well! Regards Andrew
Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered-II

The problem with shipping out of the USA is risk and cost. Most buyers grouse about $150.00 shipping within the USA and then about $75.00- $100.00 for proper crating. A model engine in the 8-10 inch. flywheel range can weigh 75 lbs. plus-plus the weight of the crating:. There is alot of potental carelessness between here and Downunder so one must add the cost of insurance too. Insurance will cover the value of the model but not necessarly the crating and shipping that could turn into a loss for the buyer. Which could end up being a blackmark on the builders reputation.

The only way I would ship of of country is a double wooden crate, fully insured. So we could be talking $400-$500 just to get the model to the customer. Add that to the price of a well built model and we could be talking well over 3 grand for the average model. Something like a Mery or Callahan a whole lot more!

Deep pockets required!!

Buddy Harley
harloc-model-engines.com
Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered-I

Buddy, Thanks for the reply, I am glad too hear that you would want to see that the model would get to the buyer in one piece, so I also would want to buy a model off someone who would crate and frieght it well so we would get what we paid for!!! Yes it is alot of money but you can't take it with you, and you are dead along time, and I would like a model hit miss engine to run while I can. Hope I can find one soon regards Andrew
Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Registered-III

There is an easier way to ship a model then to double crate it. Build a box that would allow around 3 inches all the way around the model. Put the model in a very thick plastic bag with one of those drier packs. Then, spray the expanding foam in the bottom of the crate a few inches thick, it will expand so don't let it set up all the way before placing the model (wrapped in the plasic bag) in the crate. Then all you have to do is to fill the rest of the crate with the expanding foam, let set up and cut off the excess, fit the top and ship. The buyer will have a bit of a mess getting the model out, but it will be clean and free from damage. I've never had a problem with this method and it does reduce the cost of packing and shipping.

Tim Christoff
Basehor, Kansas.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered-II

Tim
I've been thinking about that method. However, I was thinking that maybe the spray foam could also be contained in plastic bags. Or at least the upper fill. As you said, spray a good amount in the bottom, set the bagged model down in it and allow the foam to set-up, then cover the whole area left with plastic and finish filling the crate. This method should make it easier for the buyer to remove the model without risking damage. I haven't tried this yet, but am thinking about it.

Buddy Harley
Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered-I

Buddy, thanks again, the foam in a can system works for gauges and other glass parts, I would like to see what you offer in models, and hopfully other will look at these ideas and think about us down under, regards Andrew.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered-III

Andrew,
You could contact Reggie Ingold and see what he has for sale or might build for you. He's in Oz, so shipping might be a bit easier. He has a web site on the http://www.oldengine.org server.
<<Jim>>
Old 04-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for the tip, tried Reg and he put me onto some one selling off his models but I am still looking for a TomThumb or flame licker would be nice
Regards Andrew.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Subscriber

Hey Chris J, not sure if you have a lathe but you might want to keep an eye out for a set of plans or something to make a simple bar stock engine first then move on to a set of castings. A lot of these models can get expensive to buy finished & you'll get more out of making one yourself. I have some finished hit & miss engines for sale ($600) but they hit-miss by cutting out the ignition rather than the exhaust valve.
the websites' at http://newrmc.20megsfree.com

On shipping with that expand-a-foam, I used it once to ship a big brass train bell down South & had to stay under the mail weight so I used the foam to keep the weight down. I wrapped the bell in like 3 trash bags & used the foam around it in a light box. It ended up being right under mailing weight & the guy it was sent to said it made it fine....he had to chisel it out though.

-nick
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Douglas View Post
Chris, send me a private message and I will give you the name of a guy that may still be selling completely assembled, running engines.
Frank
I am like Chris and would also like this information as I love these engines but no way to build one, equipment or knowledge any help would be great. gdohm@cox.net
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Registered-III

sounds dumb but i found insilashon to work for packing not border insilashon with tin foil cover but fluffy window insilashon packed tight a thought
Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Registered

Default Re: Running mini hit and miss motor

I have 2 RedWing 1/4 scale model hit & miss engines just about finished .Pictures of models are in my profile.if you are interested send me a private message
Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Registered-I

I have two Redwing Thorobred engines. Will sell one. PM me for details.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered

still have that red wing doe sale?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered-I

Yes still have the Red Wings. I used one on a drag saw and ran it all day Sat. at the Paul Bunyan farm show.

PM me if you are interested in the other one.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Subscriber

chris j
I have 3 models for sale A Canfield side shaft, a vertical gearless olds and a IHC. Model 1/2 scale m on scale trks.
All are in like new condition and run great!
Thanks
jamesk815