Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Otto Boiler works

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 3633 times

Old 04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,816 Times in 550 Posts
Default Otto Boiler works

Has anyone heard of Otto Boiler Works ? I know someone that has purchased an old but never used 1/2 scale boiler that has been stamped with numbers....they would like to get more information on the boiler. I have heard of Auggie Otto from Sandwich Illinois - I thought that he only sold castings, but not boilers. Any info or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,690 Times in 580 Posts
Default Re: Otto Boiler works

Otto built several scale Case traction engines, as well as some 15" gauge park steam locomotives.

One of the locomotives is at the fairgrounds in Sandwich, IL.

Since his name is on the boiler you reference, it would be reasonable to assume that he built the boiler himself.

David
Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,695 Times in 182 Posts

Here is Otto's Train at the Sandwich Fairgrounds. Photo is from 2001 as they were getting ready for the day's events. The engine is stored off site at the Otto Machine Shops during the off season. I belive that this is the second train that he had built that was used at the fairgrounds.

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,455 Times in 455 Posts

WOW! I gotta say, that looks like an impressive piece of work!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered-III

Steve Barr

you are correct Augie built a wagner park loco in the 50s called the Iron Ponie. The fellow working on the loco is Steve Farmer he purchased the
ponie from augie and ran it for a number of years in pontiac ill. at the steam
show there
The hutson in the picture is 19ft long with tenderand weights 9000 lbs. It
took augie 7years to built, he worked full time on it the last 3 yrs. It is a
oil burnerand runs on 200lbs of steam. up close it is a work of art and is
probably the finest in the country.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered-III

I know that the Haleys and Fosdicks (sp?) purchased castings from Auggie and built their boilers, but does anyone have pictures of a steam traction engine that Auggie built himself. I thought that his sons had a completed one that they stored with the locomotive at their business.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered-III

Yes augie built a 1/2 scale case,his brother ran it in the late 50s andinto the
60s. When he died augie stored it ina climate controlled room ,along with the hudsen and iron pony on there farm. As far as i know it is still there. I saw it
when i helped steve farmer remove the iron pony after he bought it from augie.It looked to be in great shape and ready to run.
Steve and i tryed to talk augie into getting it out for the sycamore show,we
even promised to clean it up like it was, but could not talk him ito it
Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Subscriber

There used to be an actual OTTO BOILER WORKS located in Springfield Ill. i believe the person was George Otto. Dad knew of them from years ago and by chance the house I bought last fall has a heating boiler made by them. The boiler was built in the 60s so they were around at that time. It is nicely made but being an old wagon top steel boiler with no insulation around it the gas bills are out of this world . Will be replacing it after this past winter

I do not know much else about Otto Boiler in Spfld.

I have a photo which I believe is Auggies Case. It is located int he background with metal jacket. I was told it was Auggies but I could be corrected. BTW - the engine on the left is the one built by my grandfather and is a pic from the first or second year it was finished and at Pontiac. The one on the left was made by Walt Fehr or Roanoke IL. Anyone know the whereabouts of this engine

I have riden the Iron Pony built by Auggie and it is a nice one, and heard he had another. It looks just as nice as the Iron Pony. Hoepfully they will be out and about some day

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
503483-R1-16-16.jpg  
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered-III

Hi Guys

The Iron Pony is now in private hands , i think over in Indiana but if you want to ride on the hudson it is only brought out during the Sandwich Fair.
The fair starts the wed. after labor day and runs through sun.The Fairgrounds
are located in Sandwich il,
Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered-III

There used to be a half scale model from around Monticello Illinois I have seen pictures of it - it was called "Stormy's Steamer" I have never seen or heard what happened to it. In that same area was 1/2 scale M Rumely Double cylinder that seems to have vanished as well. Does anyone know about these two engines ?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,954 Times in 600 Posts

Casemaker,

There is/was a 1/2 scale dbl. cyl. Rumbly that used to be shown at the "Little Log House Steam Show", Hastings, Minnesota. The engine is/was owned by the Lieghty (sp.?) family. The Lieghty family owned a 25hp, I believe it was a 25hp engine, Rumely and the 25/75 dbl. cyl. GaarScott that was sold on the "Steam Engine Joe's" sale a few years back. The Rumbly was sold within the family and is still owned by that family member.

Anyway, the last time I saw the scale Rumely it was sitting at the Moorehead Boiler Works awaiting repairs. Someone had pushed in one of its bunkers while being stored at the showgrounds. My understanding is that the family took the engine off the showgrounds for repairs and hasn't taken it back since. I don't know if they still have the engine...or if it is the engine you are thinking of.

Lawrence
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Otto Boiler works

Augie also built a very nice half scale return flue Huber. I looked at it when I was looking for an engine and got a copy from the Ill. boiler inspectors of it's past inspections. I looked at it after Augie went into a home before his "estate sale". It was built to code, but Augie did not have an "S" stamp. His wife was nice enough to meet me at the place it was stored where they had the auction before the sale so that I could look at it and get the boiler #, etc. I remember that it had some extra mass added to the flywheel. At the sale I was told that was added after it had been run a few times and really helped in in the belt. It was extra metal inside the flywheel rim, just on the outside half so as not to interfere with the clutch shoes on the inside half of the flywheel. My inspector here in Wis. told me that if I brought in a "model" from out of state and wanted to ever show it , it would have to have an "S" stamp. I went back down for the auction but did not bid on the engine. It was sold to someone in Ill. , I think they were fairly local or at least they knew the engine. 3/4 A
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered-III

Both 3/4A & I have traveled miles being pulled by another Otto boiler. It was built for the 82 made by Sandley Light Railway Works in Wisconsin Dells. It is on a 4-4-0 American 15" gauge engine that was originally built for the Milwaukee County Zoo in 1958. Elmer & Norm bought that boiler before they got their own "S" stamp. It is still in service at the Riverside & Great Northern in the Dells but it is uncertain how many seasons are left in that boiler.....PD
Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanked 9,715 Times in 3,100 Posts

Bump Someone was looking for OTTO
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,250 Times in 1,194 Posts

Otto's scale Huber was bought by Levine family, I believe, near Sycamore Ill. I missed that sale, probably mid '70s. Then sold at auction again in Jan or Feb 2010. It did not have a water ring on the outside front as Hubers do.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth V View Post
Bump Someone was looking for OTTO
It was brought up in posts 12 and 13 in the thread titled Case water wagon.I still believe that that Case portable's boiler was likely made by Case and not Otto. I think that if the boiler number on it fits into Those made by Case, that will prove it one way or the other.

Chuck
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Subscriber

The 1/2-scale Huber is now owned by Merritt Cagwin of Lockport, IL. Merritt bought it at Levine's sale. Augie built the return-flue boiler, and used his Case castings for the engine parts.

Pete Bianchetta of Coal City, IL, owns a 1/2-scale twin-cylinder Rumely model that I think was built by Augie Otto as well. It was owned for years by Joe Baleria, also of Coal City.

Tom R.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Runty:
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,466 Times in 963 Posts

Mr. Runty,

Do you have any photos of those scale models? I would enjoy seeing them.

Thank you!