Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

Antique Dayton Ohio Steam Engine Print

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1681 times

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Antique Dayton Ohio Steam Engine Print

Now I don't want to upset our hosts, but there is an interesting item, # 110119516110 which will be auctioned off in just a few minutes. I believe the interesting part is the general info and woodcuts which comprise this item. If I could figure out how to post the item itself here, I would. Even after auction, it will be available to view for I believe another 30 days?

See what you think.

Leo
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,044 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: Interesting info on "That Site"

Yes, interesting indeed. I dont recall ever hearing this name. I wonder if they mergered or re-organized as another company. They show a foundry and shop, so I asssume this is not just rebadged stuff. The portable looks a little bit like garr scott. I will download the image later from home and tuck away inside norbecks book. No bids. Ebay is a funny place. Maybe someone will contact the seller and make an offer and share a hi-resolution scan with us?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered-III

Peter,

I am somewhat familiar with the name, when I first got my Leader, it had what I thought was an industrial type smokebox door and ring on it. It was a 2 door type, split down the middle, with both doors swinging horizontally. On the ring was cast 'Brownell Co. Dayton, Ohio'. I have heard the Brownell name mentioned elsewhere, but not with the name Keilmeier associated with it. The scan used in the eBay ad is pretty good, as you can make out a good amount of detail.

Leo
Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,117 Times in 1,573 Posts

I know Harry doesn't like us mentioning this site, but I bumped into two interesting things.

A picture of a 12hp (right Colin?) Case filling a silo:

And a 65hp Case boiler:
Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered-III

Leo and Peter,

We own a Brownell stationary engine. It powered the laundry at Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. There are only a couple of examples known left in existance, but wanted to let you know there are some still around.

-Mark Thompson
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered-III

Hi Mark,

When I originally posted this, I did not want to post it as just another e-Bay
item. I find the level of detail in the old woodcuts to be remarkable. Not to mention I have never seen a Brownell engine of any sort, portable, stationary or otherwise.

My Leader had been re-boilered around 1936-1938, and the only Brownell item seems to have been the smokebox door and ring. And as I said earlier, to me they seem to be of the stationary variety.

The boiler tag has the letters H.S.B.Co. ( or C.O., I don't remember) Someone told me that stood for Hartford Steam Boiler Co.. ( ? ) I think the reason they did not use the original ring and door was that the new boiler was probably an inch or two larger in diameter. The engine castings could have easily been re-bedded in lead to accomodate this.

As of today, the item was still viewable on e-Bay.

Leo

Last edited by Leo Bard; 06-08-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,117 Times in 1,573 Posts
Default Re: Antique Dayton Ohio Steam Engine Print

Sorry to use it for another eBay site, Leo. It came up in a search using that and I was in a hurry.
Gary
Old 06-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Antique Dayton Ohio Steam Engine Print

Leo,

I also have a Brownell stationary engine. It is 8 in. bore by 14 in. stroke, and has a Writes flywheel governor. I believe that the name plate is stamped 1917. It is complete with a 6 ft. dia. by about 8 ft. tall vertical Brownell boiler.

Besides the one owned by the Thompsons, I believe that I have seen only one other, and that was at the show at Dover, Ohio about two or three years ago.

According to records at the park, the original owners of the farm that is now Carriage Hill Farm Metro Park near Dayton, Ohio had a Bownell portable engine back in the 1860s.

Sincerely,

Bruce E. Babcock