Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Alternative Fuels An energy source alternative to using fossil fuels. Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, other than conventional fuels. Waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Alternative Fuels

Tyres to oil

Has any one heard of this? :shrug: Get Your Own tires to oil Machine! Turn your tires into black...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1916 times

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Registered-I

Default Tyres to oil

Has any one heard of this? Get Your Own tires to oil Machine! Turn your tires into black gold!
http://tirestooil.com/
If so had any results from this, and pros and cons.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Tyres to oil

I attended a confrence a couple of years ago on "residues to revenue". This was targeted at the timber industry but there were some interesting talks on pyrolysis and gasification. Both seem to be viable processes on a commercial scale. Not a new idea, just look at the wood gas generators bolted on cars and tractors during WW2. I have seen some info on trial plants to deal with tyres. They seem to be a win win by turning tyres into scrap steel, carbon and oil. I suspect the cost of setting up and establishing markets/supply lines on a practical scale are the stumbling block. Here for example the wood residue has not taken off, and those who have setup boilers to run on wood residue are now struggling to get fuel because the timber industry is in a seroius low at the moment. Some are now forced to run plants on coal.

On the plus side there are some interesting projects going on. One is gasification plants to tractors in grape growing areas using the prumings as fuel. Amazing just how much fuel they can generate.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 2,335 Posts
Exclamation Re: Tyres to oil

Rubber in tires has a lot of trapped energy in them. Many years ago, I saw a few guys tossing worn out cut up tires into an old steam traction engine, at the Rough and Tumble threshermans reunion in Kinzers PA. It was about 5 o'Clock on the last day of the show, and the crew was cleaningup the debris from the show. The engine was hooked up to a big Baker fan to make a load on the engine. They started out on wood, for fuel, and as the wood supply ran out, they started throwing in the old tires. A huge black smoke column developed, rising about 3 ot 4 hunderd feet into the still air (was visible from 5 miles away!). After a few minutes, and the tires really got gong, the engine began to develope more power, eventually spinning that poor fan so fast, that it started tossing dirt and gravel foe quite a distance, from nearby the pad, on which it was mounted. The engineers section on the engine got so hot, the guy tossing in the tires had to bail pff, and the guy at the throttle had to sheild his legs with a piece of plywood, that the guys found laying around!

On another note, a few years ago, there was a huge tire fire at an illegal tire dump, two towns west of Rockaway, NJ, where I live. It was determined that there were at least 120,000 tires piled up to 30 feet high, across a 3 acre site, hidden in a wooded area. The smoke was visible from NY City, NY, about 50 miles away! It took 6 local fire departments a week to finally kill the blaze. When at its height, a large flow of oil was seen coming from the tire heap, and a trench was dug to contain it. Over 5 thousand gallons of oil was recovered, during the course of the fire. The site was a superfund clean up site, and it took better part of 2 years to clean up the mess., including soil contamination from the oil.

Andrew
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Tyres to oil

So, The oil and steel are the easier products on sell or rerefine as in the oil, it would be a pity to let these be lost into land fills particurly at the high dollar value for oil at present, I'm not certain what the value of scrap steel is at the moment, and the carbon black is an unknowen, but it must have its uses in various industries.
I also understand that one can exstract oil from plastics, through a similar process, I understand that more oil is used in the production of plastics than in any other uses for oil, including trasportation, yet again a pity to bury such a resorce in a land fill, and when plastics happen to be one of the major items dumped in modern first world land fills.
Sure the major oil companies would not like the compitition, of reclaimed oil, but I would be one of the last to complain if they got on board, with reclaiming oil from old tyres and plastics.
One thing I can garentee is that what ever type of vechicles we may drive in the next hundred or more years wheels will be what they will be rolling on, and more than likely shod with rubber of some sort.