Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

1 CYL Deutz Diesel

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 9922 times

Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Registered-I

Default 1 CYL Deutz Diesel

I just found a Deutz 1 cyl ,model FIL712,sn 208986QA on a logging equip,sale site. It looks to be water cooled,$750,not running. Anybody know anything about these engines,hp ,speed parts ect?
Thanks Dail
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: 1 CYL Deutz

Hey Dail,
From what I have been around them Deutz(pronounced "doytz") are excellent engines but you say this one is liquid cooled this is new to me because everyone i have seen is air cooled which is the only downfall to them (they tend to overheat and burn up in the hot climate where i am at) I have even seen one that was a V 8 about the size of a 3408 CAT if you have ever seen one and it was air cooled. A buddy of mine has a Miller Bobcat welder with a single cylinder Deutz and he uses it as a generator for his cabin in the mountains excellent little engine and very fuel efficient. All i have is one warning and that is don't use ether on em cause it kinda tends to stretch head bolts Ha Ha
Hope this helps,
Cory Willbanks
Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Registered-III

Hello,

The F1L712 is definitely an air-cooled engine, built in the late 50's and early 60's. F is for engines, L is air-cooled (luft in German) 7 is the series and 12 is the stroke (120 mm which is 4,72 ")
They built it from single cylinder like this one, 14 hp at 2400/min til at least a six in line, but they also built V12 engines.
This engine was built in different tractors, eg the Deutz D15 and other brands.
Deutz started on building water cooled engines.
Their first air cooled was built in 1950 and from that moment everything became air cooled.
You can see a D15 tractor at my site,happyoldiron.com
Marc Geerkens
Belgium
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Registered-I

Here is a pic of a 1934 Deutz water cooled engine seen at the Willem Prinsloo Farm Festival in South Africa.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02467.JPGa.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

Hi!
I have two in running order and one stuck. It replaced the F1L612 in about 1956-7. Some parts are awailable from http://www.deutz-ersatzteile.de/ He is not an english speaking person, so find someone speaking german. to loosen it. take off the cooling chanel, fuel line, exhaust system, glow plug connection and intake manifold. Loosen the four bolts holding the head down. If stuck, then give it a blow with a big piece og wood on the side of the head. If stuck, clear away tank and whatever is left around the casted cylinder. Fill it with diesel and heat it up carefully until it gets to 70 degrees C by using a propane heater for two hours, adding more diesel if it burns up and moving the flame around all the time. Do it safely outside or at a suitable place. Have used this on three cylinder engines too. Leave it for cooling untill the next day, and repeat the treatment. Also 1 day more. After three treatments it ought to be loose. Attack the flywheel by hand and rock it back and forth.

Good luck

Dag
Old 06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered-I

The Deutz tractors and stationary engines that my Dad sold out his dealership never burned up from being air cooled. He sold a couple of hundred tractors and stationary engines with no problems. His competition said that the air cooled engines would overheat. What do you use to cool the radiator core with on water cooled engines?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered-II

Agreed cooling was never a problem with Deutz engines, even in the most tropical conditions. An annual clean of cooling fins is all that's needed. Keeping them warm in cold weather is a bigger problem, regards, Combustor.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered-III

I grew up driving a Deutz DX145 tractor great machine did 10000+ hours before the tranny finally gave up, air cooled never worried it even in 40-45 degrees C temps pulling a harvester in the aussie summer. Dad did put the warning horn for the fan belt in the cab though, scared the crap out of unsuspecting drivers when they hit the horn :-)