Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Compressor oil type?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 67053 times

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered-II

Default Compressor oil type?

I want to change the oil in my old air compressor and would like to know what grade of oil I should use in the crank case. It is an older two cyl. Binks model 33 52 3 with an internal oil pump and powered by a 1hp electric.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Renee
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanked 1,974 Times in 689 Posts
Default Re: compressor oil

Going from when I had a large truck workshop to run, we had a special compressor oil for our big 3-cylinder machines.

Ours was a Shell product, but Texaco, Exxon and other makers also made an equivalent. It may have been Shell Vitrea?

Talk to your local wholesaler for oils and see what he can offer, we used a 30SAE grade in ours.

Peter
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Subscriber

Look in the WW Grainger catalog, in the compressor section. Last time I looked they were selling Mobile. One SHOULD use compressor oil. I never have. I use 10-40 Quaker State engine oil. My 2 stage Speedeair (or however you spell it), gets run 5 days a week, it's 12 years old. I change the oil every year or two. Now the folks that know all about oil will start in about oxidation and all kind of mysterious differences between compressor oil and engine oil. Then the folks that know even more will tell you that this brand is better, or better use synthetic and how one brand of oil ruined his engine.
Now I agree that compressor oil is the proper oil and certainly will give one peace of mind knowing one is using the correct oil for the application. There is nothing wrong with that, it is indeed the wise thing to do.
It's just that the instructions that came with the unit were so emphatic about using their oil, I just wanted to see what would happen if I used what I consider a reasonable and good substitute.
I also used engine oil in Quincy and other brands of compressors at work, with no problems.
Guess I got a little out of hand here, but just wanted to share my
experiences
Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Registered-III

Most compressor oils are just non-detergent, since there is no combustion residues to contaminate the oil.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Subscriber

Howdy Folks, I am a long time reader but seldom contributor, but you hit upon something I know about. The rule of thumb is.........if it has an oil filter use detergent oil, if not use non-detergent. We have a number of pre 1920 tractors as well as a 1919 Model T. The thing to remember is on the non-d engines, warm them up before an oil change. The purpose of detergent oil is to suspend the foriegn particles (cumbustion and normal wear) so they can be filered out by the oil filter. With a nondetergent oil, the particles will settle to the bottom of the pan and stay out of the wear path (in theory). Also, when buying compressor oil at the local Wholesale Tool, compressor oil is labeled "Air Compressor Oil", and footnoted "SAE ND30". Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Registered-III

My compressor said to use hydraulic oil. Idon't know where the manual is right now. The idea behind hydraulic oil is that it handles water well. I wouldn't use regular engine oil because the water will mix with the sulpher in the oil which makes a grayish slime. This chemical change creats a small amount of sulpheric acid. Ever tear doen an engine that's been sitting for years and see the acid etching at the oil level in the pan and on anything else that's goes down into the oil.

Richard W.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanked 14,816 Times in 4,540 Posts

I know for a fact, in aluminum compressors at least, non-detergent oil must be used.
Several years ago we sold a quite expensive SpeedAire 2 stage compressor and the directions stated DETERGENT oil.
I knew that couldn't be right but who's to argue with the manufacturer?
Long story short the compressor was shot within a short time and I called Grainger as it was under warranty and reminded them of the oil recommendation in the owners manual.
They replaced the pump, no questions asked, and said that was a misprint in the manual.......
Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered-II

I have always used a good quality, name brand, Non Detergent 30 weight oil in all my compressors.
This ranged from Blackmer and Corken LP Gas compressors in the plant to our Speedaire, Kellogg, and other air compressors large and small.
Never had any oil related problems.

John A.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: Compressor oil type?

I just read this post, so I will put my 2 cents in. A couple of years ago our Volenteer Fire Deptment bought a compressor to keep the air brake up on the trucks. I forget the brand but it is a Cast Iron pump. The recommended oil was DIN 100 compressor oil. The second choice was Mobile 1 10W-30. I have a couple of DeVillbus pumps that the book said use 20W-20. I have changed to the Mobile 1 and I see easier starting in the winter and Lees oil consumption than with the 20W-20.

Kent
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered-II

I have a compressor that also has to start in frigid temps, my question is has anybody seen non detergant oil in a synthedic make for sale any where. It would save me a lot of time , not to have to heat the compressor up before starting it !
Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Subscriber

My older big Worthington compressor with 25hp in high speed. and I uses Non Detergent 30 and it been run for over 15 years hard running at my old job then moved to my shop. until finally it got seized happened about few months ago it was I forget check oil level. I apart and loose up one of 2 rods and took to honing it and still good. rod is all alum.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beddome View Post
I have a compressor that also has to start in frigid temps, my question is has anybody seen non detergant oil in a synthedic make for sale any where. It would save me a lot of time , not to have to heat the compressor up before starting it !
Ron, Synethetic oil is detergent but the compressor I set-up for the fire dept. I just remembered was a Chambell-Hasfeld They spec. Mobile ONE 10W-30 as a second chioce of oil so they were not to concerned about the detergent or it being a multi-visocity.

Kent