Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

No oil pressure Ford 8N

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 8911 times

Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default No oil pressure Ford 8N

Our 1951 Ford 8N has been sitting for a couple years not running. We pulled it out, changed oil & filter but as far as I can tell there is no oil pumping though it. Cleaned filter can, blew out all lines, and blew air into gage and it is working.

How else can you tell if oil is pumping or if oil pump has out? What about the pressure releif valve in the face of the cam cover?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Registered-III

Liked 371 Times in 205 Posts
Default Re: No oil pressure Ford 8N

When the gage is unhooked, do you get oil when you crank it over? Even with a relief valve sticking open you should eventually get oil at the gage hook-up (gage unhooked of course). I would purge the air out of the line up to the oil pressure gage for the most accurate reading anyway, just leave the gage loose and tighten it up when the oil starts to come out. Was there water in the oil when it was changed? Was the engine turned over at below freezing temperatures?

Forrest A
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tell me Forrest just what does the relief do? There was no water in the oil. I unhooked the line on the side of the block that goes to the gage and got no oil. Someone told me I'd have to prime the oil pump by removing the relief valve and squirting oil in hole so it runs down to pump gears. What you think?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Subscriber

Liked 4,033 Times in 1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Downard View Post
Tell me Forrest just what does the relief do? There was no water in the oil. I unhooked the line on the side of the block that goes to the gage and got no oil. Someone told me I'd have to prime the oil pump by removing the relief valve and squirting oil in hole so it runs down to pump gears. What you think?
Greg:

What I think I'd do would be to try to force some oil down the gauge line. If oil flows really freely down there (doesn't build up any pressure), you could have either a broken pump shaft or a stuck-open relief valve.

If you can build up any pressure at all by squirting oil into the line (it WILL slowly leak off because of leakage past the pump internals), leave the line loose and crank it over. If oil now flows out of the line, hook up the gauge and let her rip. You should have oil pressure.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys for the help.

Took out releif valve which I'll have to replace do to wear, but squirted oil in hole and cranked it over. Noticed right away the gage was moving. Recapped releif valve and started up with 30lbs of pressure.

Now that it's running with pressure, on to figuring out proof meter (not working) and getting it to run smooth.