Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Antique Lincoln Welder / Generator

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 10545 times

Old 08-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered-II

Photo Antique Lincoln Welder / Generator

Bought this unit last night - came out of a old barn
The women said it was last run by her father in 1986
He used it to power the old farm house before electric came threw and done welding for everyone in the area.
Was told it was a 1939 Mercury flathead 8 Cyl. Tires are 8.25x20 Pennsylvania turnpike
It still has the original transmission coupled to a Lincoln Welder/ Generator - Tag reads

Lincoln Shield Arc ................ Generator
motor...................................Frame SA300
Frame- SA300 ......................Volts 40
HP 30... Volts 220 .......................
PH 3 ........CY 60...................Amps 500
RPM 1800.............................Rating NEMA

It's not stuck - but I haven't try to start it yet
Does anyone know anything about a unit like this ?
Would something like this be worth taking to a engine show ?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,927 Times in 805 Posts
Default Re: Antique Lincoln Welder / Generator

I would think it would be cool at a show, especially if it ran a fan and other things. If it is a mercury engine, they by themselves have some collector value.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Subscriber

I would like to see it at an engine show
Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered 0

I'd like to see it up close & personal, cause I have a hunch it's a homebrew.

The generator end looks like somebody cut down a horizontal Lincoln to drive it from a gas engine, and the 3Ř reference on the nameplate tends to confirm that.

You can probably get Lincoln to tell you exactly what configuration it left James T Lincoln's factory in by contacting them at www.lincolnelectric.com with the nameplate information.

I seriously doubt it will deliver much AC power as a generator, since SA machines are generally pure DC machines.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Registered-III

Aloha,
Yep, it looks like a flathead (FMCO) and I would sure like to see it running at a show powering something.

Mahalo,
doogdoog
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Registered-II

I have an old Ford truck. It has a Mercury engine. For new parts for the old flathead engine check out Dennis Carpenter's on-line catalog or order a printed catalog from his site at:

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks.php
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered-II

Tom,
What a substantial looking welder! But the engine is not Mercury.I say that because; Mercury engine was the same as Ford of the same year except longer stroke for more CI/HP.Mercury was introduced in 1939 as a luxery Ford-known around here as a "corn fed Ford".But we see in the engine picture,the engine has the water pump in the heads which was only on the ford flathead in 1932-1937 with 21 stud heads.In 1938 the water pumps were moved to the lower block area and the heads had 24 studs.A flathead built in 1939-first year for Mercury would have had 24 studs and could not accept the pictured heads with the water pump in them at the front.The 32 and 33 21 stud flathead had a 1 bbl carb while in 34 it was changed to a 2 bbl- I also think the last year(s) 21 stud had cast iron heads where the earlier were aluminum.
Note; my memory on the change to 24 studs is not too clear so my statement may be off by 1 year but for sure the 39 was 24 stud and water pump in the block.
There were 21 stud blocks with water pump in the block (1938??) and I have seen these fitted with heads having integral water pump using a block off plate at the lower position.Someone said these engines were of later build for a replacement upgrade.
The flathead ford certainly needed cooling help-especially when used in hard work or higher HP applications.
Intresting that the nameplate doesn't give any power output specs other than would be related to welding.
It would be unusual I think to see an older DC output welder with much if any AC power capabilities.
I think this unit was a 3 phase motor driven welder and has been re-used with a flathead for power.
An intresting unit and a pretty scarce old flathead--I'd like to hear her work pulling a big arc gouge.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered-II

All, I felt there were errors in my previous post concerning Ford/Merc flathead differences.If you're intrested in flathead Ford evolution a nice easy explanation can be found at; www.vanpeltsales.com/fhweb/flathead.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered-III

I think you're pretty close on the flathead evolution. Flathead 8 Fords sound great with the exhaust crossover to the intake manifold blocked off and separate exhaust for each side, or with a stock crossover and a straight thru muffler, like a tractor muffler or 1940s pickup muffler. The bore is around 3 1/8 on the earlier ones with around 4 1/2 stroke, and they have an odd, 4 into 3 exhaust arrangement for each bank with the middle pair of cylinders sharing a common port. The firing order is 15486372, with the # 1 cylinder being the right front one as you sit in the driver's seat, and they are numbered 1234 on the right (pass. side) and 5678 on the driver's side. They were rated around 85 HP in the late thirties, and HP climbed to around 115 in 1953. Ford also built a 137 cubic inch 60 horspower V8, which was a miniature version of the full sized engine with its own small size transmission. They are very interesting engines... if you can find one. They were used in a 2/3 scale Ford car. These cars were underpowered, so I have been told, but many of the little V8s were souped up and put into race cars, where they did very well, and a lot of the full sized engines wound up in the 60 HP chassis. I once knew of an MG TC or TD that had a 60 HP V8 in it with 3 deuces and Weiand heads.