Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Looking for 40-60 KW 1 phase generator head

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5639 times

Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Registered-I

Default Looking for 40-60 KW 1 phase generator head

I am looking for a good used 40-60 KW single phase generator head. I have a 1978 6-354 Perkins turbo engine that is just sitting around. Engine puts out 102 HP at 1800 rpm. I would be using it for a backup generator at the farm. I presently use a Dayton 25K PTO generator, but am looking for a nice winter project.
Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Looking for 40-60 KW 1 phase generator head

The company I work for has a 50kW, single phase gen end. It's circa 1958, but still in very good condition condition - has been stored inside. The gen end was originally coupled to a 3 cylinder P&H diesel that was scrapped 10+ years ago. It runs at 1800 rpm and is a one bearing machine. Not sure of the coupling's SAE number. It's a big unit, probably 30" in diameter. The control panel is still attached. The gen end has been taking up space and the company has no use for it. I'm sure it could be had for scrap value (if that much.)

The bad news is that it is located in central Wisconsin, a long way from the Lone Star State. I'll be headed to northeastern New Mexico in early November but unfortunately the gen end is a bit too big to fit in the back of my Toyota pickup. Feel free to PM me if you have any interest or ideas.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered-III

d6btex PM'd me. I'll post the question and my answer in case someone may have a helpful idea or suggestion.

"I am definately interested. As you say, trucking could be a real issue. How much do you think it would weigh? 400-500lbs? Are there any pictures of it.

I will connect it via a PTO clutch assembly on the engine with a chain coupling so mounting should not be that difficult. Any idea how much they want for it? I can get the numbers and see if it makes sense."

My Reply:

Weight? It's a well-built "old school" machine so my guess is that 500 lbs. might be a bit on the light side. I do remember that the entire genset was hauled in the back of an F250 pickup. The engine was very heavy (especially for being an aluminum block.) Other than that your weight guess is as good as mine.

I can take some pictures and forward them to you. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to see up close?

Just so that you understand clearly, let me repeat that this is a "one bearing" machine. The front of the generator is a flange that's bolted directly to the flywheel of the engine. There is no shaft as such and no bearing to support the front of the rotor. It's like an automatic transmission where the torque converter is bolted to the flex plate on the engine.

You could work out a way to drive it with the PTO clutch but this would involve more than a simple coupling. Some machine-shop skills would be necessary. It's up to you to decide if you are up to the challenge or if this sounds like more work than its worth.

If you are still interested I can take and send the pictures and you can make an offer. It's taking up valuable space and I'm sure the boss will let it go cheap. If the one-bearing issue is a problem I'll understand.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,106 Times in 882 Posts

I've probably got the 3 cylinder P&H to go with it

I would say keep looking on ebay. You might not find a single phase that big very often, but you probably could find a reconnectable 3 phase generator end. The other option is machinery auctions and dealers where someone has used the engine to power other machinery and has just the end sitting around.

A two bearing end would be relatively rare. Really an oddball compared to the more common one bearing flange mounted types.

I believe some/all of the imported (Chinese) designs are 2 bearing.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered-III

Count your bolt holes and get a measurement of the bolt circle diameter and or rabbit diameter and see if your bell housing on the Perkins will match up.

Since you have a clutch on the Perkins, you almost certainly have a standard SAE bellhousing. If the engine has too large an opening, there are rings to adapt from large to small. The P&H I have in an old crane has a large opening with an adapter ring to mount the clutch and transmission, and it's still a size larger than the pump I was considering putting on it.

If you get the bellhousing sorted out, then you surely could get the flywheel to flexplate joint machined as needed to fit.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered-III

"I've probably got the 3 cylinder P&H to go with it"

Now you tell me... We wanted to repair the engine but parts are all but impossible to find.

We also bought a 3 phase, 75 Kw 'sister' unit that's powered by a 4 cylinder P&H engine. This set is in good running condition and mounted on a tandem axle trailer. Those 2 stroke P&H engines really scream! Nothing - not even an old Detroit Diesel - can compare with the P&H's efficiency in turning diesel fuel into sound waves.

d6btex: A friend of mine had a large, single phase, 2 bearing gen end. Not sure of the specs, wasn't interested at the time. Might be too small 20 - 30 kW. Can check on this if you're interested. But I would still like to see the 50 kW get put to use. Too good to scrap out!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered-III

HA!

The truck part of the crane has a 4 cylinder! Like you said parts are a problem. Unfortunately the 4 cylinder is apart right now. I was working to get it running and got busy and never finished it.

I want to strip off all the crane parts and have the 6x6 truck for a spreader. The 3 cylinder is my ace in the hole for parts to fix the truck engine, but I believe it will work if I ever get it back together. I had it running, but it had a crack in a "jug" from freezing. I was able to weld it up ok and that's as far as I got.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,514 Posts

I saw one of those P&H engines once, in a corner of a local NG armory - it was an inline 6 that had two blowers on the side, each feeding three cylinders. Coupled to a generator of about 100-125kva, it looked brand new. By the time I found out who to ask about it, the unit had already gone "away".
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered-I

Guys,

Thanks for all the interest and input. The motor has a standard SAE #3 flywheel. At one point, I used the Perkins to drive an irrigation pump. During that time I had a Rockford PTO clutch assembly with an 11 1/2" single plate clutch installed on it.

I moved to a larger motor (JD 6076T) and pump and that is why the Perkins is now spare. I was able to slide down the power curve and gear up the JD slightly to save some money on diesel and engine wear. The JD currently runs at 1475 rpm where as I used to have to run the Perkins at 1850 rpm.

Thanks again
Scott