Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Corn chopper machine

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2934 times

Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered-III

Liked 605 Times in 178 Posts
Default Corn chopper machine

Hello,
I was told about a machine one time that took and turned a ear of corn into "coins" to feed cattle. Depending on how fast you turned the crank, the ear of corn would be cut into coins 3/8" on up, and would drop out into a bucket. It was described to me as looking like a upright corn sheller. Does anybody have a machine like this or know anything about them? I'm thinking about hunting one down. The guy that told me about it said his father had one. I'll see if I can get a hold of him and see what else he can tell me about it.

Thanks!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,754 Times in 185 Posts
Photo Re: Corn chopper machine

Richard

Several companies made them.

I have an all cast iron one in the back yard. It is foot powered and needs a flywheel (s spoke one is missing several spokes and was very poorly welded, but broke when moving it.) I will post photos tonight. It does 2 ears at a time.

Mine looks like this, but with a damaged flywheel:

Enterprise in Sandwich,IL made

Here is another one:

Steve

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered-III

Liked 605 Times in 178 Posts
Default Re: Corn chopper machine

Hello,
The Chanticleer is interesting because I live in LaCrosse Ks. the Barbed Wire Capital of the World, and Jacob Haish (1826-1926) was one of the first barbed wire makers. We had a wire collector, at the yearly wire collectors show, that had a model of a Haish engine and that was a big deal with all of the wire collectors, so big, I was glad I didn't have a real engine in my collection, as I would of had to beat them off with a stick! They where impressed with my 1947 IHC LB grinding corn though.

Thanks!
Richard