Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Question about Modeltec magazine

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 39214 times

Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered-II

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Question about Modeltec magazine

I am trying to complete my set of Modeltec. I know I am missing January and November of 2000, but I don't know when it ceased publication. The last issue I have is February 2001. Can anyone help me with the date of the last mag, and any leads on where I can get the last few issues I don't have? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Subscriber

Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Question about Modeltec magazine

Farmall, I'll be able to answer your question, eventually. I have all the Modeltec magazines; and, somewhere around here I have a list of all the publishing dates.

The last few issues showed up on an irregular basis, missing a few months, here and there. You could very well have all of them.

It will take me a while to dig up what you need. I'll try to get back to you on this, soon.

Regards,

Orrin
Old 10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered-III

Liked 655 Times in 302 Posts

I can't say when he did stop but like it has been said it was hit and miss till the end. He was at NAMES last year and had a table selling the CD's of plans and was planning on publishing a internet magazine for subscription. Don't know how many suckers or subscribers he will hook. He has a partner. I still have the letter from the courts that said I and all the other people that paid money to him was SOL.
He is on Flea bay selling stuff under camelback presses logo and name.http://stores.ebay.com/Camelback-Press
You can always contact him and see if he has back issues or who he sold them too. over
Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Subscriber

Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

I found the list of published dates.

In 2000, all issues were published except for June and August

In 2001, the list I have seems to indicate none were published except for two that appeared as February and March/April issues. I'll have to check mine to be sure about this, however.

In 2002, there were three magazines: Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr, and May/June. After that, there were none.

I hope this helps.

Orrin
Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
nickelodeon

Don't get me started with this guy. He was and still is a theif.

Never refunded anyones paid subscriptions.

I hope he burns in hell !
Old 11-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Registered-III

Now before you blow a gasket. George who owned it when it was publishing and went bankrupt. The reason he didn't have to refund the money for subscriptions is the current US bankruptcy laws and the the degree of damage it would cause you. As a creditor. As individual subscribers are damage in the eyes of the government are not as great as say the printer who might be owed big bucks or any others of the like.

As I have said in other posts in this thread. George is still operating as Camelback Press.He is selling the PDF plans on disk on the flea bay. That were offered in the magazines. This was started after the court ordered payback to the major creditors. I understand your frustration as I lost two years subscription payment.

Now as to the magazine and back issues. As I have laid out the information Daniel Smith purchased the magazine name rights and all the back issues.

The plans are for the magazine to include more areas of modeling interest and bring it back online subscription E mag.

The contact information for back issues are in my previous posts in this thread. Dan Smith is a very nice guy, he is at the NAMES expo selling back issues. the last couple of years. And taking a lot of Georges heat. Which he didn't have any part in.

Nation builder books had purchased all of the Projects disks in the pdf format. but they sold them out quite fast. So if you are thinking of buying the project disks on E bay/Camelback Press. It helps to know who you are dealing with.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Registered-III

Here is the contact information for the back issues. As I have said before this is the guy that bought the assets of back issue sales and name of the magazine. during the bankruptcy proceeding. After posting I saw that it was in a different thread here is the link.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpo...15&postcount=2
Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
nickelodeon

A theif is a theif regardless the suit he wears.

Personally I would discourgae peopel doing bussiness with him at all.

The man, defrauded many peopel in this hobby from their hard earned money !

Sending bussiness his way and supporting throughthis manner is un ethical and down right a shame.

People like that should just stay in shadows.

God has a way of making people like him pay.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Subscriber

Liked 2,050 Times in 226 Posts

No No. The person selling the back issues is a totally different person that the original owner of the magazine.

Kelly T
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Sponsor

Liked 3,902 Times in 2,521 Posts
Exclamation Re: Question about Modeltec magazine

At Bankruptcy sale all assets are sold, to the highest bidder. Dan Smith bought the magazine copyright name, and all back ussues at the sale. Other hopefuls bought other property as it was auctioned off. Dan is now selling these back issues to recoup his purchase. The former owner no longer has any interest in that property, as it was sold to pay off a portion of the crediters balances. The original owner may still have debts due, such as all the subscribers and other crediters. I have no interest in the property, just explaining things.

A friend had his 6 figure business seized for bankruptcy a few years ago. I didn't know of the sale until it was long done, but a guy bought the company lock - stock- and barrel for just 4 grand! The crediters got pennies on the dollar owed It took me 3 years to get back wages and benifits paid up from the procedings. There were a lot of people there with their hand out looking for a piece of that pie!
Andrew
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered-III

The point was that George the owner of Modeltec is selling The disk of PDF information on e Bay Under the name of CamelBack Press.
Quote:
As I have said in other posts in this thread. George is still operating as Camelback Press.He is selling the PDF plans on disk on the flea bay. That were offered in the magazines. This was started after the court ordered payback to the major creditors. I understand your frustration as I lost two years subscription payment.
As the CamelBack Press was a separate entity from the magazine. that asset wasn't touch able. To pay the back outstanding debt.

Also the individual subscribers are a low dollar debtors. They are the first ones the courts erased.

This was all spelled out in the letters the courts sent to out all the debtors.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered-III

Liked 371 Times in 206 Posts

nickelodeon, Here is more proof of the transfer.

http://www.floridaame.org/discus/mes...tml?1087565847

Forrest A
Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Farmall

This is an old thread but hopefully you are still active. I am searching for model cannon plans by William F Green deceased. I believe that many of his plans were published in the ModelTec magazine. If you have many or all of the issues perhaps you will be able to assist me.

I understand that there are some 20 plans that were published but don't know how many were published in Modeltec. I would appreciate if you can search your library to find these plans and copy them for me. I will gladly pay your costs including postage to Australia.

Hopefully you will be able to assist a fellow model engineering enthusiast down under.

Cheers

Joe Venables
PO Box 6328
CAIRNS
Queensland
Australia 4870
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered-III

Liked 852 Times in 197 Posts

Hi Joe,
I and some friends built most of the cannons from the drawings of Mr. Green, I believe. If I remember correctly the drawings were nothing more than just that, a drawing done on a gridwork to give the builder a representation of scale. All of the parts were drawn but there weren't a lot of dimensions, as I recall. I will look through my stash of drawings and see if I still have any of them.
In the time that we were building the cannons my friend and I gathered up the information to build a miniature Gatling Gun. Not functional but a working model. If you are interested in building something like that let me know and we'll talk about getting the drawings.
gbritnell
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Registered-II

Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts

If you have no luck with the ModelTec plans, you might care to have a look at
http://www.john-tom.com/ReplicaFirea...aFirearms.html
about half way down. Barrel is 8" long with a bore of 0.433".

Dave
The Emerald Isle
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered-II

Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts

Farmall, I have a bunch of Modeltek issues. PM me with a list of the ones you need, I'll see if I have them.

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered-I

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Maybe slightly away from the original post? There was some talk about restarting the magazine a few years ago. Does anyone know if that will ever happen? I only have a 2 year collection of it and it was a really good magazine. Luckily I never got caught up in the problems when the magazine folded.

I can certainly understand people being bitter about paying for and not recieving their subscriptions. I lost over $800 to a supplier in the U.K. for castings that were never sent. From just the 2 year collection of Modletech that I have I'd love to have a complete collection.

Pete
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miner View Post
Maybe slightly away from the original post? There was some talk about restarting the magazine a few years ago. Does anyone know if that will ever happen?
Pete
Here is a link to his info
At this time I would have to say that the answer is no. He no longer has the website domain.
Here also owned wood met services a plan outfit. It no longer has a net presence. when google can't find it it's gone.
After the way he was treated by some at the shows. I can't say I blame him if he did pack it in.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered-I

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

PTsideshow,
Thanks for the info, Too bad, It was a pretty good magazine. Yeah far too many people get blamed for something their not responsible for. Sometimes the correct people don't seem to get blamed enough.

Pete
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered-I

Liked 27 Times in 8 Posts

old thread...new question...

I have three fat little Modeltec Binders.
Looks like each is containing maybe two dozen or so Modeltec issues(?).
Thats about 72 issues.
Looks like all mid 1980s up to early 1990s.

I can be more specific on the issues if someone is interested.

Everything is in great shape.
Magazines look all mint and clean.
Binder covers look a little worn in spots.

What do I do with them?
They are part of my father's collection, which I am liquidating.
I have no idea where or how to get rid of them
...not necessarily worried about value
...in fact if someone comes to get them...
I just don't want to send them to the dump.

Suggestions?

(I am in southern Ontario)
Dave