Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

How to replace needle valve seat on Briggs

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3630 times

Old 10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default How to replace needle valve seat on Briggs

Can anyone tell me please, how to replace the rich/lean mixture needle seat in the carb. of a briggs 3.5hp motor, model #110902. I think the carb model is 3911.

The old seat had a single O ring between the seat and the metering holes. The replacement plastic (or nylon) seat and the replacement O ring look identical to the ones I removed but I can't get the seat to fit flush with the shoulder meaning the plastic seat will not marry with the O ring inside the orifice. I've tried putting the O ring in first and then the seat and I've tried putting the O ring on the seat and then inserting both but nothing seems to work.

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Card Sponsor

Default Re: How to replace needle valve seat on Griggs

The way Briggs says to do it is to put the "O" ring on the valve. LUBE it real well and take a dipstick tube that is used on your model engine or a 9 CID engine and use the small end of the tube to press the valve in. It works well. JIM
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: How to replace needle valve seat on Briggs

If you would happen to be trying to put the whole assembly in at once that would be your problem. The nylon seat / jet tube and o-ring go in first. Then install the outer rubber seal. Last, assemble the needle, spring and retainer and screw into the nylon seat. A little lube (silicone) on the rubber parts makes it all easier. Hope this helps. Denny
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions and let you know.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

I put the O ring on the valve seat, sprayed the unit with silicon and it went right in except for may 1/16" or 1/32" to the shoulder. The motor started and ran fast and unresponsive to the throttle cable. I adjusted the idle mixture as instructed by the Briggs manual and I could get the engine to stall if I screwed the needle in too far so I back ed off a quarter turn. I never could get the engine speed to respond to the throttle cable. Could this be due to the seat not being in all the way or have I mixded up the throttle linkage somehow. The throttle cable plate is attached to the throttle butterfly by a spring only whereas the mechanical governor is connected by a wire that resembles a paperclip.

Any further thoughts?

Many thanks for the help.