Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

this thread has 61 replies and has been viewed 28700 times

Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

Doug, Thanks for the reply. I would really like to resolve these issues with the K6's. You're right in that some of the pushrod problems are probably bad or no valve adjustment. Like a lot of companies we have some young and inexperienced employees. Valve adjustments are not something most of them have seen in modern automotive settings. We do, however, have the K6's on a monthly service schedule. I have only found one engine without the baffle plate in the PCV. It seems to me that they have an excess of oil to the top end that can't be controlled with the small oil deflectors welded under the cover. Ours show 50+ pounds of oil pressure. The paper type gaskets under the valve covers and pushrod covers aren't too whippy either. I'd really appreciate your help with these engines. I'll takes some pics and get an rpm figure for the setups we're running. I work out of town so it'll be next week before I'm back to the computer. Thanks for your input, Bob
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

Just joined the sight tonight. Been reading over the posts about all the newer oil field engines. Well, I can tell you alot about most of them. I am a natural gas compressor technician. I build Waukeshaus, Caterpillars, Arrows, Geminis, Ariel JGS's,and Ajax's on a daily basis. I have an engine that I do need some help on though. I will get some photos posted tommorrow. I believe it to be a really old version of the Arrow C-46. I know it is an Arrow. We have several of them on gas jacks out in the woods. I ran across an old location today that had a pair of old NKRB Waukeshaus running a two throw Gardner-Denver. The tag on the one engine said it had been rebuilt in 1952. Not sure how old it really is. Anyway, if I can be of any help to anyone just let me know.
Ron Pruitt ronjeanne3@redrivercable.com
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Subscriber

Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

Welcome RPRUITT96
The C-46 that you are talking about could actually be a Climax C-46. These were sold or made by Continental Emsco. Arrow bought the rights to these engines quite a few years ago.
Have a good one
Allan
Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im pretty sure that is exactly what it is. I will get some photos as soon as I can. It may actually be a little bigger. It pretty big.

Ron
Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photo Re: Pictures of "Newer" Oilfield Engines

Ajax 5 x 6-1/2 WL near Guthrie OK

Arrow C-255 Near Quannah TX
Attached Thumbnails
SP_A0135.jpg   SP_A0157.jpg   SP_A0159.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered-III

Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts

Here's an Oilwell Witte GAS engine I found on a well near Marie Rene, Alberta when I was doing some work over there in 2006....up this way they put little shacks over them to help keep out the cold and snow, therefore the narrow doorway that cut off part of the image.

I believe this engine to be very similar to the Witte CD diesels, right down to the compression release lever on the rocker box...I may be wrong but I am guessing that this may be a CD that was converted to gas (different head, maybe a different cam and piston too?) Also note the impco carburetor, electric starter, and the single shrouded flywheel.

Also of note is that, unlike our government, the Canadians are actively encouraging the development of their oil and oil sands reserves....lots of work going on over there and lots of these engines chugging away running pumpjacks.
Attached Thumbnails
witte gas engine.jpg  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That there engine in your picture is a Whitte F-42. I don't know if it is a converted diesel or not, I have only ever seen them as gas engines.

They make more power than a C-96, but are not balanced as well so they tend to be higher maintenance. They shake themselves to death when run near the top of their operating range. They also are not as well designed from a mechanic's point of view as an Arrow/Continental/Climax. The rockerbox and external pushrod tubes are leak-prone, the flywheel needs to be removed to access the oil pump and mag drive gear and the cast base tends to break if it's not tied down really well.

But that's just my feeling about the F-42's. I would rather work on an Arrow any day. But to get the power of an F-42 in an Arrow, you would need a C-255 and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Subscriber

Liked 2,547 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haus View Post
Here's an Oilwell Witte GAS engine I found on a well near Marie Rene, Alberta when I was doing some work over there in 2006....up this way they put little shacks over them to help keep out the cold and snow, therefore the narrow doorway that cut off part of the image.

I believe this engine to be very similar to the Witte CD diesels, right down to the compression release lever on the rocker box...I may be wrong but I am guessing that this may be a CD that was converted to gas (different head, maybe a different cam and piston too?) Also note the impco carburetor, electric starter, and the single shrouded flywheel.

Also of note is that, unlike our government, the Canadians are actively encouraging the development of their oil and oil sands reserves....lots of work going on over there and lots of these engines chugging away running pumpjacks.

That's not an F42, a F-28 and a F32 are identical with some difference in the cam gears and a 8" bore a F42 looks just like a 42 but the 42 has a larger bore. There are some 42s that use a 2 disc clutch but you really can't tell them apart from the outside. But the F engines are much squarer and DO NOT have a removable water tank.

The engine in the pic is some E model. Maybe an E20? I'm not all that familiar with that series.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Subscriber

a F42 looks just like a 42 but the 42 has a larger bore.

that should read ....a 28 or 32 look just like a 42 but....

the mods here should really allow edits to posts it would save some bandwith
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered-II

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

1969 Clark TCVA-16 6000HP@ 300 RPM Gas compressor on Storage/Booster service. Originally United Gas Pipeline Corporation Bistineau Storage Field in Ringgold, LA. They have 3 6000hp units and added 2 7500hp TCVD-16 in 1977. I worked at this compressor station for a year.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered-II

Faribanks-Morris MEP-8 engine driving a pipeline booster pump for Shell Pipeline Company, Lake Barre Booster Station in inland waters.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Registered-II

Caterpillar G3606 1775hp @1000RPM Engine driving an Ariel JGD-4 Gas compressor on gas gathering service. Hilcorp Energy Lake Barre Compressor Station. The package is a CDM unit.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered-II

New Installation for Crosstex Energy in Boyce, LA of a 2008 Caterpillar G3608 2400HP @ 1000RPM gas engine driving an Ariel JGC-4 Gas compressor on Mainline Gas Transmission Service. Unit was started up at eh end of April 2009.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered-II

That is a Caterpillar 3306 TA driving an Ariel JGP or JGQ 2 throw 3 stage gas compressor. 203 HP.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Registered-II

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

If we are talking about the same compressor package the 3306 looks like an NA not a TA, not sure about the model of the compressor frame but it looks like Ariel cylinders and it really looks two stage although there are four pulsation dampeners on the panel base, even if it's running a tandem cylinder where's the other scrubber bottle? This is really hard to tell it kinda looks like there are three gas sections in the cooler but everything else is saying two stage? Got me curios now lol
Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Subscriber

Here's a few in my back yard.

a wise man's eyes are in his own head
The Following 6 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Registered-I

Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts

You have a gold mine there Reed. What brand of oilfield engine comes through your shop the most often needing major repairs? We once talked to an oil producer in Kansas and he said they only changed the oil once a year in the
engines they pumped with! Tough life!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Registered-II

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Don't have any pictures yet, I work for Exterran and I operate and maintain 16 well head compression units for Conoco Phillips
LOL here's the list
2- Ajax DPC 2802LE's
1- Ajax DPC 360 LE Conversion
2- Ajax DPC 280 LE Conversions
1- Ajax DPC 230 Rich Burn
1- Ajax DPC 160 twin Rich Burn
1- Cummins GTA8.3SLB With Gardner Denver Rotary Flooded Screw
1- Cummins GTA8.3SLB With Sullair Rotary Flooded Screw
2- Cummins GTA855E's With Gardner Denver Rotary Flooded Screws
2- Caterpillar G3306NA's With Gardner Denver Rotary Flooded Screws
1- Waukesha/Arrow VRG330 With Gemini MPD Two Stage Recip
1- Caterpillar G3304NA With Gemini MPD Two Stage Recip
1- Caterpillar G3304NA With Ariel JGP Two Stage Recip

The oldest units I have would either be the DPC160 or the 230 they were packaged in the early seventies everything else is the late seventies except the 2802's they were packaged in 2001. The gemini's were built in the nineties, the ariel early eighties, the 3306's were built in 2000, the Cummins units are new units as of last year I have the first one this company set.

The group I work in we have 3 3608 Caterpillars, 10 3500 Caterpillars ranging from an '08 to a '16, three Waukesha L7042GL's,...................the list goes on ha ha about a 120 units total in our group. We have THE FIRST Cat 3508's built with single turbos and the ADEM 3 system

Not in our group but we have numerous sites for Williams with anywhere from 5 to 26 Waukesha 7042's and a few with 3516 Cats

The shop I am based out of is the largest the area in the U.S. for the company I think we have close to if not a little over a thousand units in this area and every month we usually clear about $2million in profit

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Yes that is our PM schedule for Ajax's change crankcase oil on a yearly basis because it is never exposed to combustion gases, we change oil, rebuild the reed valve assemblies, change air filters, rebuild fuel injectors, Re-ring the power end, check the ports for carbon, rebuild LE check valves if applicable the list goes on lol

Highspeeds (Cat Cummins Waukesha) up to 500 horse Change oil, filters, adjust valves, change spark plugs and anything else that needs done every 60 days

Highspeeds over 500 horse 120 day PMs
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mueller View Post
You have a gold mine there Reed. What brand of oilfield engine comes through your shop the most often needing major repairs? We once talked to an oil producer in Kansas and he said they only changed the oil once a year in the
engines they pumped with! Tough life!
That's one huge reason why all those engines are in my shop. I should send some pumpers a Christmas bonus. Most popular? It's a tie between Arrow (Continental) and F&M ZC. We do C-46,66,96,106,255 and ZC-118,208,346,503. We also do LOTS of salt water pumps, those pumpers who only change oil one time a year in those engines? Yep, they take care of the water pumps too.

Gold mine? Well, iron mine maybe. I'd say they are safer than the NYSE right now anyway.

a wise man's eyes are in his own head
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Caterpillar 3612TA driving a Dresser-Rand 6HOS-6 sour gas compressor. The compressor has two 14" Pistons and four 15" Pistons.
Attached Thumbnails
West Sukunka Hot-Rod 001.jpg   West Sukunka Hot-Rod 002.jpg   West SUkunka Hot-Rod 003.jpg   West Sukunka Hot-Rod 005.jpg