Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Continental Red Seal Power Unit Engine

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 13965 times

Old 11-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered-II

Photo Continental Red Seal Power Unit Engine

I've found what looks like a Continental Red Seal Power Unit engine.
Its a 4-cylinder petrol/gasoline engine.

Does anyone know anything about these engines?
Any information you can share will be appreciated.
Information like manufacturing dates, engine size and horsepower and likely uses for the engine. Also did the engine come with a gearbox?

I'd also appreciate a picture of a restored example.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Continental_RedSeal_1.jpg   Continental_RedSeal_2.jpg   Continental_RedSeal_3.JPG   Continental_RedSeal_4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Continental Red Seal Power Unit Engine

One more picture
Attached Thumbnails
Continental_RedSeal_5.JPG  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered-II

Ben ~ Unfortunetly, I do not know a lot about the history etc. of the Continental Red Seal engine. What I do know is that all of the Portable Lincoln Welders at work were equipped with them. I know that no extreme of weather ever affected this fine running little powerplant. I can still hear the jump in r.p.m. when the arc was struck followed by that sweet long purr while under load and then the drop off to the wisper of an idle at the completion of the rod. Phew ! It almost wants to make me go back to those long hours and emergency nightime callouts............well almost. Long story made short,they are one sweet engine. Regards, Mike
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Subscriber

Here is a model Y-91 i rebuilt a couple of years ago. It drove a mobile refrigeration unit so it never had the fancy radiator shell. I now use it to run an air compressor for sand blasting. Looks like you'll be needing a few parts. Do some searching on the antique tractor sites and you should be able to find manuals and some parts. I down loaded a scanned manual (free) but the site i got it from doesn't exist anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Y91-2.jpg   Y91-4.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,264 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
Ben ~ Unfortunetly, I do not know a lot about the history etc. of the Continental Red Seal engine. What I do know is that all of the Portable Lincoln Welders at work were equipped with them. I know that no extreme of weather ever affected this fine running little powerplant. I can still hear the jump in r.p.m. when the arc was struck followed by that sweet long purr while under load and then the drop off to the wisper of an idle at the completion of the rod. Phew ! It almost wants to make me go back to those long hours and emergency nightime callouts............well almost. Long story made short,they are one sweet engine. Regards, Mike
Yes...I too always loved the sound of a Lincoln Pipeliner-sweet little motors...a big pipeline co. had an auction here 15-20 years ago, & they sold rows of Pipeliners & parts. there was literally piles of mags & carbs. Unfortunately, I didn't get one...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Subscriber

I forgot to mention that the flywheel housing is most likely is standardized to a SAE bolt pattern. You can verify this from the chart on this page:

http://zf-marine.com/Transmissions/i...60157b&CFApp=1

I would imagine Rockford or Twin Disc made clutches and/or gearboxes to fit this engine.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered-II

Thanks guys.

Ed, you talk about a model Y-91, does anyone know what the model of this engine might be?
Where they also grey?

Does anyone have a picture of a Lincoln Pipeliner welder?

Where these engines only sold in packages, like with a welder, or could they be bought alone?

Thanks again guys
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,264 Times in 683 Posts

Ebay item #180179302520

Last edited by ronm; 11-12-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Sorry-STUPID link won't post...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Subscriber

Continental was an original equipment supplier for many applications. The photo shows an earlier example driving a generator. Sorry i do not have a photo of a Lincoln SA200 welder. I have seen them used in Massey-Harris farm tractors. The service manual i have shows their engines also available as stand alone power units.

If the aluminum tag (just behind the oil fill spout) is illegible, the most reliable way to figure out what you have is to measure the bore and stroke. This can be compared with the specifications in the service manual to narrow down the model.
Attached Thumbnails
contiental_gen-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered-II

As has been mentioned, Continental was an OEM supplier for lots of applications. Thses engines were used in all sorts of industrial applications (welders, compressors, generators, fork lift trucks, etc) as well as other applications. These were the engine that Graymarine used in their marine engines. Parts are still pretty readilly available. You should be able to easilly identify this exact model as the block # which is stamped near the oil dip stick (as I remember) is the number that identifies it.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Registered-II

i may not be an expert, but i do know these engines.. and i love mine.

judging by the size, and bolt through the center of the exhaust manifold, you have an f series, likely an f162/163.. the block and head will have numbers like f-400 and such, that just indicates its a part for the 4 cylinder f series.

your engine looks like it may not be worth the trouble of saving, there are much better examples.. i would try and save the tin work.. but if youre looking for a project, when these engines are in decent shape, they are very very easy to work on.

manual is available on my website... http://inertia.hopto.org/continental/ the top one is the full manual. the lower 2 are a scan i got from teh chriscraft website and it is in 2 parts.. i would get the first file, with the longer name.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered-I

Do look at the casting numbers. There were 3 F series models F 124, F-140 & F-162. The F-163 is a later version witha full flanged thrust bering. There are also ther models. Parts for a basic F model are plentiful because the engine was so popular. More questions?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered-I

The 4 cylinder "Red Seals" are still around and doing a good job. Putting one back together right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1236.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered-I

Hi: I just purchased a red seal engine on ebay a couple of months ago. This one I would say came off of a small combine as it had the main pto out of the clutch housing and also had a light duty pto off of the fan belt drive. I would say it was used for the unloading auger so as it would run with the threshing unit off. I have seen red seal engines in many construction equipment applications as well as in many forklifts. I want to pull a grist mill with mine I hope it doesnt take too much to get it going. I have not had a chance to find out the horsepower of my engine. Later: RM