Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

American Griffin Engine

I would like to know if anyone has a photo or any information about an American Griffin Stationary...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 6773 times

Old 11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Registered-II

Default American Griffin Engine

I would like to know if anyone has a photo or any information about an American Griffin Stationary Engine.Click image for larger version

Name:	american engine.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	25737

I plan to make a scale model of this unique engine, I need more to find a source for a possible full size engine or at least good photos. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,456 Times in 397 Posts
Default Re: American Griffin Engine

The engine in your post I believe is actually an English Griffin 6 cycle engine. The engines were made by Dick, Kerr & Co. There is a reference to the engine in Patrick Knights A to Z of British Stationary Engines, pg 83.

They may have been made in the US. I am sure someone else may be able to answer this.

I only know of one horizontal 6 cycle Griffin engine, it is in a museum in Bath, England. The Anson Engine Museum has an inverted 6 cycle Griffin. You can find both of these on the internet if you search for them.

There is a 4 cycle in a private English collection. I recently acquired an engine which I believe to be a Griffin 4 cycle which has been rebadged.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered-II

Thank-you for the response. I have searched the web for hours & hit lots of dead ends. I will keep looking, these engines were supposed to be built in New York also. I have have tried to search for patent papers, no luck!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,456 Times in 397 Posts

Hi,

If you type in 'Griffin Gas Engine' you will get a few hits. The museum in Bath is one of them, I took a look for myself and the comment that the engine would be in the museum has been removed. I saw it on there about a month ago. Maybe you can contact the museum direct.

The Anson Engine Museum definately has the inverted model. I would contact them directly if you want more info.

I have uploaded 2 pcitures I have in books. I can give you the details of the books if that helps.

Regards,
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
griffin1.jpg   griffin2.jpg  
Old 11-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered-II

I have 2 pictures of an actual engine, I got them from a volunteer that works at the Anson Engine Museum in England. I wonder if there are any engines like this in the US?
Attached Thumbnails
Full Size Griffin_A.jpg   Full Size Griffin_B.jpg  
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered-II

Smile Re: American Griffin Engine

I found an American version of the engine in the "yellow book" page 496, built by Henrik Strang of Chicago Illinois. I found the patent documents, US Patent # 615052 Nov. 29 1898 & 709060 Sept. 16 1902. This version looks a lot like the English Griffin engine. I will attempt to draw a 1/4 scale model & build a functional prototype.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Email Not Working

I have a large early Griffin engine, the only one known to exist in the US. I would like to get your phone number and speak with you in person. My email address is dmcoldengines@yahoo.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyCarroll:
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 17,115 Times in 1,732 Posts

I am going to bounce this back to the top.

Does anyone have a photo of an American built Griffin engine? I know of at least one but have yet to ever see a photo of it. - Wayne

Engine Collector/Restorer - Model Builder
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Grenning: