Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Coal for a blacksmith forge?

Where do you buy coal at that will work good in a old forge, i am going into the blacksmithing...

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 35312 times

Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,095 Times in 407 Posts
Default Coal for a blacksmith forge?

Where do you buy coal at that will work good in a old forge, i am going into the blacksmithing business now, but i have learned that some of the coal is bad to use, like the stuff for a coal furnace, will that work, where do i buy the good stuff? Thanks Chris
Old 11-25-2007, 09:45 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Coal for a blacksmith forge?

Go to google and type in blacksmith coal. From there you can find a blacksmith supplier site that has coal listings. It shows suppliers by state.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Registered-III

I got lucky. My friend is the chief welder for the city of Hamilton Ohio. I get mine for free at the power house. Funny thing! The city of Hamilton get there coal trucked in from the Ohio river. It is about 30 miles away. THere is a train track that goes right by the powerhouse. It is cheaper to get it trucked in than get it off the train. The train they would have to pay the for the usage off the railcars.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Registered-III

here is a easy one for you. 1/2 inch black iron pipe. tapper down one side and cut the other with a hack saw. Weld a rod in. add paint and marble.
Attached Thumbnails
061_61.JPG  
Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered-III

All coal is noted created equal, But check your local phonebook for a fireplace dealer they sell a hard or anthracite coal for use in fireplaces. It will be cheaper than the shipping. Also look to landscape suppliers that sell firewood, and any old operating oil fuel suppliers. As most sold coal at one time and some still do, for the aforementioned fireplace use.
Hard coal has less dust with it, and it is shinny. Coals comes in forms from dirt like to bright,shinny lumps with no dust at all.
The first pic is of carved anthracite coal and the second is of soft coal Bituminous powder which is mixed with a resin type white glue and molded in latex type casting molds. Or a injection molding process for simple shaped items. and a lot of the casting are now coming in from China
Attached Thumbnails
anthracite.jpg   Bituminous.jpg  
Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Subscriber

In spokane, their is one outfit that will sell coal, they have been doing it for a long time, all others quit selling it, they only get so much per year, and its first come first serve, and it is expencive. I will be using coal that most blacksmithers say not too, a friend of ours has a basement full that they were going to go dump in the ditch, but i said i will get some, i will probibly get 2 or 3 50 gallon drums full, About how long will that last me?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Registered-III

It will depend on what it is and were it was mined. As the BTU content, Sulfur, and ash content will vary from location to location and mine to mine in some cases. Basic case is if it is a semi anthracite the BTU content is lower the more you will use. Also the more you will have to poke and prod the fire. A lot of the coal they sell is a high clinker coal it doesn't, coke up so to speak. It also requires more air to burn, putting more oxygen in the mix. And the mess factor increases, smoke,smell and ash. If it is soft coal the dull, flat looking kind with dust it will show the same indicators only they can be greater, faster ect.
The last coal fired building I worked, we got what was called Kentucky top soil, mostly dirt like powder with small chunks that would fall through the bottom of the stoker. Clinker over in an eyeblink and double the ash content.
You should find out after a couple of sessions if it is going to work or be a pain.
An the EPA considers the ash from most coal burning small plants hazardous waste as it isn't burned pulverized as a fluid. So the waste products of unburned contents are higher than they allow.
You may want to consider charcoal as a fuel source as the cost buying locally in large bags would be less than the cost and shipping of 100lb bags of coal. Other than a historical site blacksmiths,using coal on a daily basis. Most use propane as the amount and size of the natural gas line coming to most homes and small shops isn't large enough.To get the required heat. The size of the propane forge can be from coffee can to multi burner or just a burner and a bunch of fire bricks.Depending on what you are doing.

Looking at a breakdown of state coal during the higher production days Washington coal was a Bituminous coal lower end, about 12,300 BTU's /pound , higher ash 11.07% and moisture 5.16% per pound
Old 12-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered-II

The thing that you want for smithing is a low sulfur coal or coke if you can find it.If all else fails you can use charcoal.Some types of charcoal work much better that others.You can always make your own charcoal if necessary with a fifty five gallon steel barrel and a tight fitting lid.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Registered-III

Wall-Mart Sells hard wood charcoal that I use with good success. under 6$. Remember sulfer + water = sulfuricacid. bad in lungs and clothing.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Subscriber

Chris, what is the name of the outfit in Spokane that sells coal? I live near Pullman and have been looking for a supplier.

Thanks.

Orrin
Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Subscriber

I dont have it off the top of my head, but i tried them ounce, its pretty expensive, and they are normally sold out of coal by August, they have it in in july i think, they only order very little each year, so its first come first serve. They are in the phone book, i will look for it in the next couple of days.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Registered 0

Thumbs up Re: Coal for a blacksmith forge?

low sulphur coal is best to use . in black smithing. try a local feed mill. they normally sell coal but you want stoker coal . not lump coal. stoker coal has a lower sulpher content. burns hotter . and a more pure blue flame. lum,p coal is . full of sulphur. and burns less hotter. and more of a yellowish . flame plus it is not good to breathe .
Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered-I

Consider propane. Cleaner, easer to get and better on the lungs...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Where do you buy coal at that will work good in a old forge, i am going into the blacksmithing business now, but i have learned that some of the coal is bad to use, like the stuff for a coal furnace, will that work, where do i buy the good stuff? Thanks Chris
Forget about coal and look into hard wood charcoal.No smoke or sulferic acid for you're lungs skin and clothes. You'll get all the heet you'll need. You can make your'e own.
Bud
p47dthunderbolt@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered-I

Believe it or not, I've used pine wood and the flame is seriously hot......white pine.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingshop View Post
Consider propane. Cleaner, easer to get and better on the lungs...
But noisy though.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered-II

Chris you might check with these guys unless you are a member already WWW.blacksmiths.org Northwest blacksmith group a lot of groups buy coal in bulk to sell back to the members to raise money.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Registered-II

bituminous low sulfer the best coal comes from coalton wv.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered

I registered for this site just to tell Chris that I sell high quality blacksmith coal and coke and charcoal in the Pacific Northwest, my location is in Washington on the Oregon border. Look up www.mountainbrookforge.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to James vonMosch:
Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
In spokane, their is one outfit that will sell coal, they have been doing it for a long time, all others quit selling it, they only get so much per year, and its first come first serve, and it is expencive. I will be using coal that most blacksmithers say not too, a friend of ours has a basement full that they were going to go dump in the ditch, but i said i will get some, i will probibly get 2 or 3 50 gallon drums full, About how long will that last me?
I think the bad coal is having an affect on you already. Your punctuation and spelling leave a lot to be desired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capp48: