Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Difference between kerosene and heating oil?

i'm just curious , if any ya'll yanks can tell me the diference between what you call home heatin...

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 27596 times

Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Registered-III

Default Difference between kerosene and heating oil?

i'm just curious , if any ya'll yanks can tell me the diference between what you call home heatin oil & 1k kerosene? if any , i'v only bein up north a couple of times only once in winter and left as quick as i could. i heat my shop on kerosene ,50 gallon's in bulk was 4$ a gallon after tax today, i'd need a pay raise to heat a modest size house on this! what ya'll payin? ya'll got my simpathies in years to come,
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Difference between kerosene and heating oil?

Silly question but how much insulation do you have?

I'm way the hell up north in a well insulated home.
It wasn't built this way but a small investment in insulation, windows has reduced my HVAC bills by around 30% with a pay back in about 8 years.

It might not be the price of energy that is your problem. How hard can it be to heat a home in....

south louisiana ????
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered-III

thanks douglas but my question wasn't about heatin my home read it again! it was about fuels & prices of , your answer is just as silly to me
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered-III

Heating oil is #2 fuel oil as opposed to kerosene which is #1. It is virtually the same as #2 diesel fuel. Around here, the #2 fuel oil is dyed red, just like off road diesel. Present cost is just under $3/gallon. #1 kerosene is refined more than #2 oil. Haven't priced it lately, but imagine it's up close to $4/gallon. I have an oil fired boiler that heats my house. On cold months, it burns 130-150 gallons a month. OUCH!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen girouard View Post
thanks douglas but my question wasn't about heatin my home read it again! it was about fuels & prices of , your answer is just as silly to me
Well I read that again and I have a reply....

In Canada we switch to #1 as winter road fuel and it does cost a bit more but I think that has more to do with the change in demand for fuel than the actual cost of the fuel.

My employer buys a lot of fuel ( premium low sulpher, highly refined #1 and #2 with some additives for lubricity... emmisions reasons ) they buy in bulk. One notices the difference in the quality of what I get as furnace oil localy as compared to places. What I am trying to say is the same highly refined stuff in all the oil tanks around here heating homes is the same as the prem coloured fuel used by the big local consumers. Sometimes they don't even add the dye in the summer so we get what looks like road fuel in our off road tanks.

I notice the stink of heating fuel for the stuff I buy out of town for the camp. This is not the same fuel I get at home for the same price

I realy believe the oil companies charge what they charge because they can. I think its more a pain for them to actualy charge what it worth and where they loose money the charge someone else more to compensate.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Registered-III

thanks for the info, i didnt know what heatin oil was all about or oil furnaces, there are none down here,or not that i know of. natural gas is very abundant here , i'm in the country so i use propane, or electric , and kero in most shops, at 3$ a gallon and that consumption i see where it could be an expense. when keepin a home at a 40 degree diference from in to out , ( and much more in some places) any unit runs alot, thanks again for the inlightment. (lotsa insulation is good )
Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Registered-III

Gas used to be a lot cheaper now they are about the same.

Wood, now there is a way to heat your home. The fuel that warms you twice ( once from all the work to get it ready to burn ).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered-II

Smile Re: Difference between kerosene and heating oil?

As far as a recent bill for home heating #2 oil,last week I got the basement tank topped off. It took 155 gallons,it cost $465.14 .It is gonna be a long winter but I hope it will be a moderate one because if it gets much worse I'll start the Cummins and just sit in the cab with the heat on,it's probably cheaper. Regards,Mike
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered-III

that could be monthly from what i'm told earlier, your right OUCH. . the only way i'd burn wood again is with a fireplace i could clean from the outside, stoves are messey. ( maybe we'll have to). i guess i'll justify the missuse of this site,, tractors used to run on this stuff it was the poor farmers fuel of choice , now its higher then gasoline ??????
Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanked 13,540 Times in 4,235 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Difference between kerosene and heating oil?

We got 125 gallons of #2 heating fuel a couple weeks ago @ $3.28 /gallon.

#1 (K1) kerosene is $3.99/gallon.

I thought about trying some kerosene and water in my 30-60 S Rumely sometime..........I don't think about that any more.......