Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

A.O. Smith engine driven DC welder

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 5050 times

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default A.O. Smith engine driven DC welder

Hi, I have an old a.o.smith welder model no. 2000wgs, serial no.82760707. It has a four cylinder continental engine model no. fa 140. When I first got her she would not run. But I got her to run and burn rod. The problem is with the throttle linkage. When I got her there was none. The way I figure it, when you strike an arc the machine throttles her self up, and when you back out this vacumn diafram returns the throttle. Atleast......that's the way I kinda hooked it up. But I donot know if that's correct. I can shut the vacumn off and she'll run wide open, and that's kinda okay. But I'd rather she throttle up as she needs it. Does anydody know what this linkage is supposed to look like, and where I could buy some parts? I know she old.....but I just can't cut her loose. I would appreciate any or all help. Thank you so much.
Richard
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered-II

Liked 76 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: a.o.smith engine driven dc welder

The old Lincon SA200 welders had a Continental engine with a governer.idle ser up like that. Might be similar enough to yours for using, or at least to copy it.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: a.o.smith engine driven dc welder

Thank you for your reply. Alot of hands on the pipeline had them sa 200s. I quess for welding pipe they do a good job. I'll look at them alittle closer. Once again, many thanks.
Richard
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A.O. Smith engine driven DC welder

Richard
I have a P&H welder with the F140 engine on it as well. The Throttle mechanism on mine is a vacuum operated operation. Unfortunate when I bought it the engine wouldn't run.But, after dissembling the entire welder and engine I believe that I have an understanding of how the throttle works. A vacuum is created by the engine when running and a bellows is used to pull the throttle back to an idle. When You strike an arc the vacuum is reduced thus increasing the engine speed. It is a rather simple system and I believe that I might be able to repair mine if it needs it. Gene is right about the Lincoln using similar methods. Lincoln has a replacement system that is more reliable, so the site states, for around $400. I'm sure there are many other aftermarket systems that will work on your welder. Keep us informed, I might need to make the same change.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy, Thank you so much for your reply. I was told by a welder repair shop in Durham connecticut that my machine was just like a P&H. Everytime I go over there they throw me out for drooling on the floor too much. They have three floors of used welding machines. You are also right about the system being simple. My problem is there is a little arm that comes off the throttle shaft that broke. I made one myself but I am not sure if I got the throw right. My biggest problem is, I had the machine running perfect for what it is, an old old welding machine. But I just couldn't leave it alone. I'm like," well I think I can make it run even better". Wrong, I should have left it alone. This is the first welding machine I ever owned.......so it kinda means alot to me. Once again, thank you soooo much for your reply.
Your friend,
Richard
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah Richard I believe there were a lot of welders with different names made using the same components at that time . I get a picture for you to compare the two.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered-III

Liked 896 Times in 734 Posts

There're several outfits that handle parts for old/obsolete Cont's; I don't know if they'd have anything like your throttle connection, but they might, as these little 4's were used on all kinds of stuff.
There's no use having it racing when it should be idling, just to feed the Arabs more money or have it wear out quicker.
If you don't turn up or fab what you need, I can email or post some names for you to try. Good luck. Bud
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a picture or two for you Richard. Hopefully they will help some as they might have a different setup. Pay no attention to the trash behind the green curtain.
Attached Thumbnails
Welder Carb 001.jpg   Welder Carb 008.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the Info there Bud! Unfortunately there is one more difference that hasn't been brought up.... What carb do you have? There were several that were used. This engine was also used in forklifts. I am planning to check to see if any forklift salvage yards might have parts I need for a decent price.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy, That's the arm coming off the linkage that broke on mine. I believe that arm goes to the govener. What I did on mine is directly across from that arm I ran a rod to the diafram. So in theory as the govener pulls in one direction to throttle up, my arm will pull it back to idle down. The problem is once again with the throw. I believe that arm should be somewhere at 11 or twelve o'clock at idle. When I fabed mine, and in my own defense it was all by eye, and I am not going to admit I need glasses just yet, mine is too far to the left, or 10 o'clock. Thus it hangs up. I hope I am saying this right as your picture is the only other one I have seen like mine. I sure wish I had that little arm coming off the carburater shaft. But in all honesty, when I brough my machine over to that facilty in Durham Connecticut to have it looked at, and let me tell you somthing those hands over there are great! They told me the machine is doing everything it's supposed to. I just like my stuff to be right. Once again, thanks for your help and the pictures.
Richard
Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered-III

Liked 896 Times in 734 Posts

Rich: Don't have one myself, just recall it listed in various pieces of eqpmt, almost certainly, as you fear, with an array of carbs (incl Zenith) and governors, depending on usage. A quick eyeballing of a couple of catalogs show F140's in:
Case GT Series, #256, #300 and early 500D models (under crawler-loader-dozers section);
A few Jaeger compressors (#60 and unidentified others);
A batch of MH/MHF stuff: HA21, HA33 forklifts, MF34, MF44, (Windrower and forklift), Mustang Series of small tractors and Mustang K23 forklift; 20,20G,20K forklifts; 22 Series forklifts; 35SP and 60PT Combines and the 101 and 101Jr series tractors/forklifts;
Oliver 440 Super;
Towmotor #500, LT46K and other unidentified Towmotor lift trucks or tow tractors.
And certainly many more; many of the above came with engine options besides the F140, and nothing I have states which carb or gov used, but at least it gives you a few familiar names to check. With sympathy, Bud.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First let me say to everybody who has responded to my problem, god bless you all. Here's the deal. Up here where I live there are only three things people want to know.....money, money and more money. Except for those hands in Durham connecticut who have been more than fair with me, helping me as much as they can, most people do not have the time for me. Let me be honest. There is nothing I would like better than to have some hand roll up with a brand new Miller, or Hobart, or Linclon welder. 100% duty cycle, and all the whistles and bells and everything. But.......I just can not aford that. This old girl does everything she is supposed to. And maybe she ain't perfect....but niether am I. Maybe I don't cross all my t's and dot all my I's, but I'm a hard worker!
I never started a fight, but I ain't run from one either. And I guess at the end of the day, that's gotta account for something. So to those people who took time outta thier day to respond to me, God bless you all.
Many thanks,
Richard C. Welk iv
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richard you could contact Bill's Welder Repair and get a replacement for that connection. His website states that they rebuild the Lincoln SA 200s. They have the Continental f163 engine but it to has the basic carburetor linkage as ours do. He has a setup where you can contact him online during the day so I would think that would get some information quickly. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy, your the man! I am gonna contact Bill asap and maybe he can help me. Atleast it's a start. As always many thanks.
Your new best friend,
richard
Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First let me say, when god made bill at bills welder repair, he done broke the mold and threw it away! I talked to bill for a couple of minutes, he told me exactly what my problem was, he had the parts, and he is going to ship them to me NC, that means no charge! God bless him! These are the people you want to do buisness with. Before I got sick......I could put words together pretty darn well..........I can't do that anymore. So I cannot really do justice, to say the right things to complement what this man has done for me. All I can say is God bless him.
Richard
Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richard I'm glad to hear that Bill was able to help. After looking at his site I felt that he really was a person who enjoyed his business and helping people. I have linked his site on another forum I visit and hope that it helps his business.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it would help anyone I have a wiring diagram for my AO Smith "plug in" welder, model #A3000 AD HFGW

(Ac input, 300amp Output, Ac/Dc, High Frequency Gas Welder)

I do NOT have a manual, only a wiring diagram for this 985lb welder.

I do have manuals for my other welders as follows;
Lincoln Weld n Power, (130 I think) w/kohler,
Linc-weld 230 w/ cck onan
Lincoln SA200
Steve
Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Richard did you get the parts you needed?