Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Sleeve remove and replace?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 4448 times

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered-III

Liked 476 Times in 244 Posts
Default Sleeve remove and replace?

hi all,

to remove a sleeve do you need a sleeve puller?

thanks
jordan
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,717 Times in 529 Posts
Default Re: Sleeve remove and replace?

What kind of engine? Is it a wet or dry sleeve, do you plan to re-use it?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered-III

jb,

i dunno if its wet or dry sleeve. we are going to be over hauling a waht we beleive is a 55 ford in the shop at school, and the gentlemen we are doing it for wants us to replace the sleeves and rod bearings, it need crank bearings to but we aren't doing those.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Registered-II

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You shouldn't have sleeves in a '55 Ford. If you do it isn't worth removing them and resleeving....just get another block. And if you're in there, you may as well replace the mains....and get the crank ground....and replace the cam bearings....bore it and replace the rings......new pistons too...recondition the rods....
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Registered-III

we are only doing what my shop teacher thinks we can handle, and we are just going to be performing the work requested by the gentleman who owns the tractor.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Registered-II

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A picture would help me suggest something such as a puller . You can make one.
My experience is with Farmall C. Blocks of dense hard wood for support the block on a firm level surface and a block to contact the diameter of the sleeve and drive it out the top of the engine block. A good rap with a hammer has got them out for me. I do not intend to reuse them. If that didn't work which it always has I would make one . Unfortunately I never had to.
You must measure the sleeve to reuse it . In spec Ok but I have never had such luck because they were used for long time and worded hard and need to trash canned.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,724 Times in 1,222 Posts

Wet sleeves can be knocked out most of the time with a chunk of wood and a sharp blow from a hammer.

Dry sleeves are a different story. They are an interference fit and need to be pulled with a puller. A puller can be made from a piece of pipe larger than the OD of the sleeve and slightly longer than the length of the sleeve with one end closed. It is placed upright on the cylinder block centered over the sleeve to be removed with the closed end on top. A round plate is made just a tiny bit smaller than the OD of the sleeve with a shoulder that will fit nicely inside the sleeve. This plate is placed at the bottom of the sleeve. A hole should be drilled through the plate and the closed end of the pipe through which a threaded rod can be placed. Weld a nut to the bottom plate. Thread the rod through the nut and place another nut on the rod where it comes through the closed end of the pipe on top. Turn the nut and make the rod shorter and the sleeve will pull out of the bore. They can fight hard. You may be able to make it easier by warming the block and putting dry ice inside the sleeve while pulling it. This will shrink the sleeve a bit.

Check out my engine videos at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Cletrac
Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered-III

Liked 303 Times in 264 Posts

Rather than mention the year of the Ford, What model is it(like 601,etc)? Now those engines have sleeves but they were meant to be bored for oversize pistons before you replaced the sleeves. However if you are at 40 over now they will need to be replaced. The sleeves are dry and will or should have a tight fit. If you decide to make a puller it will need to be fine thread and the rod of a good diamer such as one inch. The plate at the bottom must be say .040 thousands less than the diameter of the new sleeve so it will clear the bore in the block. I havebeen this route as I taught some shop classes like this and still sub. Have your instructor or you send me an e-mail if you have questions. I am on the Ohio side of Lake Erie.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Subscriber

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Talking about sleeves, I have a 1hp ih famous that is stuck, the crank is at just above bdc, and I was able to remove the crank with flywheels, and everthing else is loose except the valves which are stuck. Is it a wet sleeve, and if so, should I just get the sleeve out with the piston in it, then get a new sleeve and piston?
Thanks Johnny
Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered-III

Liked 303 Times in 264 Posts

I don't know if it has a sleeve. On the valves I would try the old bees wax trick. Do you have the block setting so you can soak the piston? Are you in the Defiance phone book?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered-II

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

What's the Old Bees wax trick ?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered-III

Liked 84 Times in 60 Posts
Arrow Re: Sleeve remove and replace?

Some machine shops set up their boring bar where it will cut a little off center and cut one out without touching the block and the old sleeve comes right out.tom