Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Tractor Age to be Classified as Antique.

How old does a tractor have to be to be classified as antique? I always thought it was 25 years,...

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2594 times

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Sponsor

Default Tractor Age to be Classified as Antique.

How old does a tractor have to be to be classified as antique? I always thought it was 25 years, the same as the age of an automobile to be classified as antique.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Sky

Default Re: Tractor Age to be Classified as Antique.

your right anything over 25 is clasified antique but still, opinions may vary.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered-III

I think its 1938 or 39 because of technology advancements.Perhaps its just pre-war as it is for autos.After that its just old or vintage.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,344 Times in 859 Posts

I've heard of the 25 year mark too as being antique. But my personal opinion, I look as anything of pre 1930 as antique.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered-III

These terms--classic, antique, vintage, special interest--have been batted around the old car hobby for years now, and while they once had pretty well defined boundaries, have long since gotten like "cokes" as a term for any cold drinks.
Classic used to be what was defined "classic" by the Classic Car Club, and nothing else...Antique used to mean the old open cars, early teens, but this was always dependent, to a certain extent, on the age of the person talking.
Without a definitive group to set boundaries, it's pretty much in the view of the speaker; and one mans vintage could be anothers antique, anothers classic, and a fourths candidiate for the crusher!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered-III

To my way of thinking, 1936 was a watershed year in automotive styling and technical features. Someone mentioned 1939 for tractors, and that sounds about right to me too. For stationary gas/gasoline , 1930 was about the end of innovation. Gas/gasoline engines were all over the map until about 1900, when several basic layouts began to dominate. Steam? I don't know enough to hazard a guess, but almost any kind of combustion engine prior to about 1880 seems to be almost a one of a kind item, though some distinct types of railroad locomotives were in evidence by 1855 or so.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered-III

steel wheels and hand cranked
Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered-II

Time has sure sped up for me lately and my 49 Avery model V tractor is near 60 just like me. They say my International KB-6 is an antique at motor vehicle. The government says I can't collect S.S. for 2 more years, now you try to figure out what is old and what is antique.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,874 Times in 659 Posts

I prefer a steel wheeled 1910 to 1938 tractors are a classical and historical. No more flat air rubbered tire.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Registered-III

Out here I think old tractors are just OLD, ANTIQUE, VINTAGE, as people see them and use the terms, they mean very little, but to the car collectors the names mean a lot. Antique is just a general term and covers anything, but the others, Vintage Veteran and Classic are classes of the official road registration authoritys.These terms were originally started by the early car clubs in the UK, Veteran is anything made 1918 and earlyer, vintage is 1919 - 1930, Post vintage covers what some car clubs call "classic" and goes to WW2, then war time, and after the war, Invitation class that covers anything made up until 25 years from the present on a rolling timeframe. When a vehicle is registered out here it is officialy classed as what its date determines it to be, and it is required by law to have a small plate on it displaying Vintage, Veteran, ect so the authoritys can see at a glance that it is on a concessional licence. I don't know if that is anything like what happens in the US but I think simmilar things happen in the UK.
Graham
Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Subscriber

Different tractor companies advanced at their own pace so using characteristic changes like styling, electric starting, steel wheels vs. rubber tires, etc. can be problematic. I think we can all accept that the Lugs and Cleats type tractors (stationary engines on structural steel frames) qualify as antique or maybe even their own special classification of "crude" or "primitive". The major tractor companies adopted styling (sheet metal with no functional purpose other than appearance) around 1939. We have always thought of pre 1939 as antique and 1939 to roughly 1955 or so as "classic", whatever that means, although 1959 happened to be a turning point, at least for two major manufacturers (IH and JD). Admittedly, lumping everything pre-1939 into one category is far from providing an accurate picture and not really fair to the really old stuff. Many tractor companies adopted rubber tires somewhere in the range of 1933 to 1935 but the models they built immediately before and after that point were really the same tractors. Does the addition of rubber tires make a tractor so different that it no longer qualifies under the same classification as it did on steel? While I generally do not think of antique tractors as having electric starters, there are always tractors like the Moline Universal to complicate the discussion. My personal opinion is that the classification has primarily to be done by age to avoid endless discussion over characteristics and that any tractor continuing in essentially the same form across the age boundary is entitled to the classification belonging to the earlier time period. Or maybe not. Who knows. Some would say, "who cares?" If you like it and it's old, that's the main thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,188 Times in 581 Posts

My dad's "A" John Deere was built in 1949. It was styled with electric starter and lights. Next year it would be 60 years old. Remember, we're in the 2000's now, so even a lot of "modern" tractors are getting pretty doggone old! Lots of 4020 JD's still in regular use are pushing 40 years old, and they were a lot more modern than my dad's "A".
I don't think sheet metal and rubber tires make a bit of difference.
I think such machines might, however, fall into the "classic" catagory.