Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Need help choosing a welder

Hello friends, I need to find a welder to suit my needs. I have a small farming operation with a...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3208 times

Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Email Not Working

Default Need help choosing a welder

Hello friends,

I need to find a welder to suit my needs. I have a small farming operation with a 80hp tractor and implaments. Most of the time I either snap something off or need to fabricate something on an existing piece. I never need to weld anything larger than 1" thick. Probably 1/8" is the smallest that I would need to weld. About once a month I find myself visiting my friend at the local machine shop and I'm afraid that I'm going to wear out the welcome mat. He has a big Esab. What is an affordable welder that I can use for my needs? I have Oxygen/Acetylene cutting/rosebud setup. Does brazing do the job or would I be better off with an electric welder? Thanks much and have a nice day.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,452 Times in 807 Posts
Default Re: Need help choosing a welder

I have a Miller Matic 250 wire feed welder, welds anything i have done.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Registered-III

I use an ESAB 250 and it is perfect for my needs.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,035 Times in 346 Posts

Mig / wire feed welders are wonderful machines for thin to average thickness metal, say 1/8-3/8 even 1/2 I've owned a Miller 200 amp machine since the early 80's and life wouldn't be the same without it. I also believe there is a place and time for Migs and then a place and time for stick welding..

If you decide to go Mig you might want to consider useing Flux core wire.. In farm applications the rust, oil and grease that we need to work around is not cover gas friendly and your welds will be less than good.. you will also eliminate the need for a tank and reg. I've seen many flux core equiped machines on the farms I visited while in the dealorship.

If you want a " do everything machine" something like a Miller Shop Master 300 with a wire drive on top gets my vote but the cost can be a little steep for now and then repairs.

Just my observations. Hope this helps.
Randy Hart Ohio
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered-I

I started out with a Hobart AC/DC Stickmate. I bought it to work on my tractor and implements as well. With stick welding you can use many different rods that better suit the welding application needed at the time. This is especially helpful with the rusty dirty metal. You will find the AC machines are cheaper but the DC is nicer to use.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

The Lincoln "Buzz Boxes" like picture at the top of this thread might be a place to start. I think the one picture is the AC/DC version. The AC only one is relativly cheap and would let you get your feet wet. They are no the beat welder on the market but they are better than nothing. An AC buzz box and 6011 rod is hard to beat on rusty greasy metal. Used one for years until I bought a Miller 200 with Spoolgun. If you do chose a Mig type I agee you should think about Flux Core capability.

Kent
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Subscriber

I have all of the welders that have been mentioned On a farm i would my first welder be a Miller or Lincoln aircooled portable they are a little pricey but you also have AC 110 standby . The older water cooled portable are now out of favor because of their weight and age, sometimes can be picked up cheap if it will run and will weld go for it. A hand full of 3/32 7018 &6013 rod will fix anything on the farm from sheet metal to cast iron
Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered-I

I would recomend a lincoln 225, they are affordable and I think the best for small farms. I use it for repairs and to build new implements from old rusty junk. Ive used hobart and century brand welders of same size and cant produce as nice of welds as with the lincoln. I paid about $350 for the welder and another $200 for 50 amp circuit breaker wire, plug, and to build a 30 foot extension cord. I know name brand doesn't allways mean anything but I trust my lincoln 225.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Need help choosing a welder

Hey Beeman ,U ought to go with a stick, the buzz box would weld pretty good for what u need it for, myself I would go with a stick machine, after buying wire, gas, tips ,etc. on a stick machine ,put the rod in the stinger & go to town.I agree with Gailey Henderson, 3/32 7018 & 6013, if u can stay away from 6011's I would, They don't look as good as theses rods. they say the 6011 will burn threw rust & everything, I would rather my stuff clean, that way u get good penetration.Thats why they call 6011 a trash rod, cause thats what its.If u could afford an gas machine, I would, what about if the fence breaks,or anything,where u cant get it to the crackerbox, plus has 110 sockets on it, for ur grinder.I hope I helped ,goodluck.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,730 Times in 577 Posts

All rods, including 6011, have their place and each can make a mess of what you are welding if you do not understand their use. By no way am I trying to start a pissing match, but a great deal of the time it is the guy that you look at in the mirror while shaving that is also the problem with the weld. I am not talking about anyone in particular. We all have bad days. Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered-I

I've made alot of money with a 6011............you've gotta know how to whip-it. Whip-it good.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-182F.JPG  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered-I

And this is what the plumber did before I fixed it. He couldn't whip-it........in fact it look like he didn't even talk dirty too it. Which means turn the right knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-183F.JPG  
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered-I

Man weldingshop that before you fixed it shot is some ugly. I guess that is why he is a plumber.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Registered-I

I see alot of it......the do it your selfer. They mean well but......wikes!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered-I

Iam 70yr's old been welding 50yr's J H Foster hit the nail on the head. That little red Lincoln will do the trick,but knowing what know I would try for an ac dc even used. You will learn to weld on what ever you get. Iwould go with stick
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered-II

Biggest question is how much do you have to spend? A lincoln, miller or hobart cracker box ac/dc would probably meet your evey need. However if you plan on any projects in the future, a mig might be nice. I would definately get a DC version. You have many more rod choices.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Subscriber

I have been welding with those AC Lincoln buzz boxes for the last 20 years and love them. They take a beating and are dirt cheap at Home Depot. The AC welders cut through rust better than DC and for farm work I wouldnt think weld beads need be that pretty. You can still put a nice bead down with AC too. I like to use the 7014 rods for general purpose. If youre ever going to weld tin or stamped sheet steel then a MIG would be better.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Registered-II

AC welders do not and will never "dig" as good as a DC machine. No AWS or ASME coded vessel is welded with an AC machine. Not that an AC machine will not work, you just have a much better selection and welding options with a DC machine.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 AM
Registered

Had/still have, but will sell, a Miller thunderbolt...always on ac off the back porch dryer plug-in. Fine welder...but recently ran across a AEAD Miller 200 LE, electric start...(thank god for little favors, at my age pulling ropes can be a real pain...its a DC Onan generator welder (1976) (& puts out 5 kw ac on power setting) and is the smoothest welder I have ever used...very adjustable, burns any rod...even mystery rod from garage sales; so old the numbers have disappeared...and even my welds look good and they've never done that before.

I like wire feed and use them for thinnish material...but when it comes to putting real steel together where it will stay together...Stick is the way to do it. And used stick welders are cheap, cheap and cheap. Electrodes come in every flavor and are cheaper and a snap to change, whereas wire feed needs 15 minutes (for me at least) that is if nothing goes wrong.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered-I

I used to sell welding equip, 13years, to small repair shops and to large factories both,there are places for stick, mig,tig and oxy acet welding. My sugestion would be, check into the classes that a community college might offer and learn from there.All welding types can "stick" two pieces together but making them stay takes some time under the hood.