Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Belt Driven Ice Cream Maker

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 8619 times

Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered-II

Default Belt Driven Ice Cream Maker

Within the past year I saw an ad for a belt driven ice cream maker. I can't find the info now; if anyone could direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I would like to see if I can put my 1/4 scale Case to work at steamups...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Belt Driven Ice Cream Maker

One of the sponsors on this site sells freezers and parts: http://www.country-freezer.com/. His site has lots of information about freezers that people have made. I have seen a vendor at several engine shows selling copies of the White Mountain freezers in all sizes, including the 20 quart size. I built one for myself last year with two 6 quart freezers on it. I don't need commercial quantities of ice cream, just enough for family and friends, and with my set up, I can make two kinds, or a lot of one kind. I have attached a pic of mine being run by a Stover CT2 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0345.JPG  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered-II

Great setup, looks like fun. Thanks for the link.

What material are scale traction engine owners using for belts? Are there sources for flat pulleys? I'll need to make an intermediate idler setup. A flat pulley to connect with the a flat belt to the engine, and then standard v-belt drive off the other end of the idler to the freezer would be a simple setup.

Thanks,

-Richard
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Allen

Portersville runs 4 freezers off a common shaft with Bolens walk behind clutches to engage each freezer individually. The big prob seems to be that the stock freezer gears really are a bit too brittle, and will go bang into several pieces if the icecream gets too stiff.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,885 Times in 667 Posts

I have seen two places ice cream maker. One at NTA Wauseon, Ohio run belted up with 1/2 scale AD Baker steam engine and the other ones at Lagrange, Indiana show running with 1 1/2 hp John Deere. It called John Deere Ice Cream. Hope you can find somewhere to fit your style.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Belt Driven Ice Cream Maker

Just saw a double ice cream freezer yesterday at a flea market! I believe it was made by the company listed above, the guy said he bought it complete. The cart had wooden wheels and the barrels were hand made as well. It had a 3 hp John Deere on it, he said even with both freezers going it never pulled down enough to hit every time.

Got a pic or two on a cell phone, now have to figure out how to get them to the computer
Old 03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered-II

I have a 1/4 scale Terning Case 65. How many horsepower do you think this engine produces typically? I operate in the 45-60 psi range when firing on wood, higher when I'm firing on coal. (I prefer wood.) Any idea what kind of HP is being generated?

I need a source for flat belts, pulleys for flat belts, bearings, etc, to make the jack shaft. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Richard