Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Scale Model Engineering
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scale Model Engineering Steam, gas and hot air model engines, tractors and accessories. Machining and milling castings.

Scale Model Engineering

Scale Model Hit&Miss Engine Kits

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4498 times

Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered-II

Default Scale Model Hit&Miss Engine Kits

I know of Debolts "Mechanics Kits" , where all the machining is done, you just put it all together with a little file and paint work.
Is anyone else offering kits like this?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Allen

Default Re: Scale Model Hit&Miss Engine Kits

I've tried to interest a couple manufacturers in selling "mechanic's kits"...Their response was basically "If I'm going to machine it and test fit the parts, I might as well finish the job" One of the most often given reasons was they didn't want to get a bad rep if the assembler screwed it up. Another reason was that they felt that many people weren't willing to pay enough to make it profitable.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,008 Times in 271 Posts

The majority of the time and expense is in the machining. Not that much of a cost savings to the buyer to sell the model as a mechanics kit.

Also assembling and setting up some of the models can be very temper mental more so then the large full size original engines. Normally the smaller the model engine the more difficult it is to make it run properly. If you have never built or setup a scale model engine you might be in for a surprise depending on how good of a mechanic you are on the full size antique engines.

I think thats why most of your model machinist that sell engines also assemble and set the engines up to run. Because they know the average buyer will have trouble getting the engines setup properly to run.

http://www.antiquengines.com/Davis_M...iers_List_.htm
Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered-II

You are right. I have been working on a "United Air Cooled" mechanics kit that I purchased unfinished and I can't believe how much time I have into just making things go around with out binding.
So much hand fitting and filing and scrapeing.
I now know why the little scale models can sell for more than the full scale.

Robert