Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Leutz or Letz small no.-3 grinding burr mill

would any one have one of these for sale? this little mill has a small flywheel on the right and...

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3359 times

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered-II

Default Leutz or Letz small no.-3 grinding burr mill

would any one have one of these for sale? this little mill has a small flywheel on the right and control lever on the left. please contact me at gmiller5@insightbb.com thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Leutz or Letz small no.-3 grinding burr mill

I know a guy that has one but it's not for sale. I already tried to buy it from him! Oh well. Do you have any pictures? I currently don't have any of that size but would like to add them to my photo album for identifying grinders.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm59/jebaroni2/

Thanks!

Jeb
Old 04-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Registered-III

I have a small letz I just bought a collection of engines and such but I am not sure of the size. Can you get some more dimensions. I will be selling it soon. It is free and i have only found one crack. It is in the front cover 1/2 in.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered-III

Is this what you are looking for? I am located in Nebraska.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Jensen View Post
I have a small letz I just bought a collection of engines and such but I am not sure of the size. Can you get some more dimensions. I will be selling it soon. It is free and i have only found one crack. It is in the front cover 1/2 in.
no pic's, but looks like the little red mill pictured at jebaroni site on this page. thank's glenn.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitalplace View Post
Is this what you are looking for? I am located in Nebraska.
no, the little mill in question, looks alot like the little red mill pictured on jebaroni site on this page. that is belted up to a little international engine. thank you so much for the reply. glenn.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
I know a guy that has one but it's not for sale. I already tried to buy it from him! Oh well. Do you have any pictures? I currently don't have any of that size but would like to add them to my photo album for identifying grinders.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm59/jebaroni2/

Thanks!

Jeb
I do not have any pic's but will try to get some. the mill Im looking for, looks alot like the one in your picture, belted up to ,what appears to be a little international engine. the little mill in your picture is red in color. thank you for your reply. glenn.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered-III

Okay, the one that i was thinking of is a rare, small unit that wasn't much bigger than a CS Bell grinder but has a tripod base. It is very similar to (what I believe) is a Challenge pictured here:

http://http://i293.photobucket.com/a...enge/ay225.jpg

The larger (average sized) units made by Letz were typically 8" diameter grinding plate units and came in a variety of sizes, shapes, configurations, and attachments. Most common is the model 80 and 80X with the next being the slightly different "Shuck Mill" series like the 110, 210, and 220 series grinders. I got mine for the princely sum of $50 at the Waukee Iowa swap meet but you do see some go around the $100 range. Letz was one of the most common brands along with IHC and you find them everywhere. Check out the swap meets and tractor shows in your area and you are sure to stumble across one that will fit your budget.

Don't be discouraged if one is stuck. This is fairly common. The easiest way to unstick them is to check for foreign objects in the bottom of the hopper (found a spark plug in mine), and to remove all the grease cups. Clean and put fresh wheel bearing grease in all the grease cups, reinstall, and turn them down as hard as you can or until you see grease oozing out from somewhere. THEN turn the flywheel BACKWARDS. If something is jammed, turning it backwards will try to dislodge it rather than grind it up. This is the exact technique I used to unstick my IHC grinder and you can see some "before" pictures of it here:

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...te%20Type%20B/

Remember, smaller mills are more expensive than the bigger units. I found that putting the grinders on skids with casters greatly increases their mobility. Much the same as putting an engine on a truck rather than skids alone. Keep at it and you'll get one. Especially living in Indiana. If you go to Portland, you could probably haul them away by the trailer load. If you need any help or advice, give me a hollar and i'll be more than happy to share the little knowledge I do have.

Jeb
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,545 Times in 169 Posts
Photo Re: Leutz or Letz small no.-3 grinding burr mill

I am not sure if the attached photos are the letz mill you are refering to...I owned this mill and sold it several years back.
Attached Thumbnails
letzcorn1.jpg   letzcorn2.jpg  

Fight "Global Warming" Get rid of the heat source....the SUN
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered-III

That's exactly the one that I was referring to but I doubt it is the exact same on that my friend has. His is more of the rust brown color and I don't think it had much of a hopper on it. Do you happen to remember what you sold that for out of curiosity? Thanks Steve! You da man!

Jeb
Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
Okay, the one that i was thinking of is a rare, small unit that wasn't much bigger than a CS Bell grinder but has a tripod base. It is very similar to (what I believe) is a Challenge pictured here:

http://http://i293.photobucket.com/a...enge/ay225.jpg

The larger (average sized) units made by Letz were typically 8" diameter grinding plate units and came in a variety of sizes, shapes, configurations, and attachments. Most common is the model 80 and 80X with the next being the slightly different "Shuck Mill" series like the 110, 210, and 220 series grinders. I got mine for the princely sum of $50 at the Waukee Iowa swap meet but you do see some go around the $100 range. Letz was one of the most common brands along with IHC and you find them everywhere. Check out the swap meets and tractor shows in your area and you are sure to stumble across one that will fit your budget.

Don't be discouraged if one is stuck. This is fairly common. The easiest way to unstick them is to check for foreign objects in the bottom of the hopper (found a spark plug in mine), and to remove all the grease cups. Clean and put fresh wheel bearing grease in all the grease cups, reinstall, and turn them down as hard as you can or until you see grease oozing out from somewhere. THEN turn the flywheel BACKWARDS. If something is jammed, turning it backwards will try to dislodge it rather than grind it up. This is the exact technique I used to unstick my IHC grinder and you can see some "before" pictures of it here:

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...te%20Type%20B/

Remember, smaller mills are more expensive than the bigger units. I found that putting the grinders on skids with casters greatly increases their mobility. Much the same as putting an engine on a truck rather than skids alone. Keep at it and you'll get one. Especially living in Indiana. If you go to Portland, you could probably haul them away by the trailer load. If you need any help or advice, give me a hollar and i'll be more than happy to share the little knowledge I do have.

Jeb
Thank you for the help and info, I think I have located one in Paducah KY, If I get lucky, will send pic's. Glenn.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barr View Post
I am not sure if the attached photos are the letz mill you are refering to...I owned this mill and sold it several years back.
Thank's for the picture. and your time. Glenn.