Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Nelson Brothers Little Jumbo

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 9121 times

Old 04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,016 Times in 274 Posts
Default Re: Nelson Brothers Little Jumbo

I have seen some model "T" engines that were originally spark plug and used a different type magneto then a wico EK. I will try to post a few photos of these engines when I can.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,230 Times in 732 Posts

David, I think the models were serial numbered individually by Nelson. I have a T with Webster ignition that is #100 and another with Wico that is in the 17,xxx range. I've not heard of any two digit serial numbers, so I don't know if mine is the first T produced for sale. I ran into #113 a couple of years ago at a show. It, along with my engine, uses a crude updraft mixer that has to be almost completely choked to run. This is because it dumps the fuel on the choke plate and then sniffs it up. It is quite tempermental if you accidentally open the choke a little too far. The later side draft design like yours is much better because it gives the fuel a place to pool and isn't so tempermental about the choke setting.

If you check out my Webshots galleries, you can see pics of both Jumbos I have. The later one is still in its work clothes and retains a lot of the original pinstriping. For whatever reason, they only pinstriped the off side and front of the hopper. I've seen one other original and it was the same way.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jd_mike
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Nelson Brothers Little Jumbo

If you are finding pictures that suggest paint color variations of the Nelson family, please do post them at the Yahoo group. That web site has grown a bit and is becoming useful to us all......I hope.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Monnier View Post
David, I think the models were serial numbered individually by Nelson. I have a T with Webster ignition that is #100 and another with Wico that is in the 17,xxx range.]
I have a 3 horse "MONARCH" built by NELSON Bros, and sold by the ROYAL ENGINE CO. of Saginaw MICH. with serial number 5317. It originally had a webster with ignitor, but had been changed over to a plug and buzz coil. I couldn't find an ignitor bracket(303M72), so I ordered a changeover kit to an "EK"... This engine is built the same patern as my 1 3/4 type "T" Little Jumbo with the exception of a slanted water hopper rather than the square one.
I think you are correct that Nelson brothers assigned the serial number to ALL of the engines they bulit and sold regardless of what company put their badge on them, so that they could keep up with the warranty perhaps?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,649 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Lyon View Post
I think you are correct that Nelson brothers assigned the serial number to ALL of the engines they bulit and sold regardless of what company put their badge on them, so that they could keep up with the warranty.
I believe all Nelson Bros engines left the factory with the model letter(s) and serial number stamped on the face of the flywheel. If Nelson Bros was to sell the engine themselves they would attach their "Jumbo Line" tag to the engine BUT if the engine was sent to a jobber it would leave Saginaw without a tag. The jobber was responsible to add its own tag to the engine and duplicating on their tag the serial number and model letter stamped on the flywheel by Nelson Bros. I have an early Nelson Bros. 1-3/4hp. model "TA" with an "Ontario Wind Engine & Pump Co. Ltd" and OWE&PCo. have decided to rate this 1-3/4hp at 2hp. The model T and TA are almost identical, the T came with the Nelson Bros tag and the TA came with a jobber's tag.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,074 Posts

[QUOTEI have a 3 horse "MONARCH" built by NELSON Bros, and sold by the ROYAL ENGINE CO. of Saginaw MICH. with serial number 5317. :[/QUOTE

Here is the tag being restored, I've only seen one other Royal engine around, Does anyone have any history of this company?
Attached Thumbnails
monarch (2).jpg  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
=David M. Lyon;295099 I've only seen one other Royal engine around, Does anyone have any history of this company?
Nelson Bros. was the maker of the "Jumbo Line" of gasoline/kerosene engines. They were also the maker of a nearly identical line of trade-name engines, likely sold through Nelson's "marketing arm" called the "ROYAL ENGINE Co." which branch used the trade mark name "MONARCH".
Old 04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Graeme Wardlaw

From your entries it appears you and your wife are into the hobby "together". It helps when you can both enjoy the same things, and in todays busy world do things together, My wife also enjoys the hobby and is right there with me. Cheers to you both and great times. Graeme
Old 04-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered-III

Graeme,
My wife has been into old iron and going to shows longer than I have. My FIL got me into old iron. So I guess you can say old iron got me married. lol
Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered-II

please tell me what kind of coil that is? I have seen some that were used as CTs current transformers. Just wondering if they are teh same.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Subscriber

Here is a chart of the different models built by Nelson Bros.
Attached Thumbnails
hpchart11.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered-III

Dennis,
Thanks for the chart it will help alot.

Bill
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,016 Times in 274 Posts

Randy,

The coil in the photo is off of a old ford automotive aircondition. They work very well for a low tension coil.