Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

bubble blowing machine

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 846 times

Old 02-09-2002, 08:25 AM
Alan Johnson

Default bubble blowing machine

Some time ago a board member sent me details on setting up a bubble blowing machine for entertaining our younger potential members at rallies. When my computor system suffered a terminal illness in october I lost most of my files. Can anyone refresh my memory on this one ?????

thanks

Alan
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Jeff Holbrook

Default Re: bubble blowing machine

Sorry Alan, I can't help you out. If you do get it please send it to me. Thanks! Sincerely, Jeff

Hickory's old engines
Old 02-09-2002, 11:08 AM
Bill in PA

I recall seeing a picture of one on the Rough and Tumble website. It was in one of the photo galleries. Bill in PA

http://www.roughandtumble.org/
Old 02-09-2002, 02:56 PM
HRRRY

I RUN ONE AT MT.PLEASANT SHOW. IT'S ELECTRIC JOHN KNEPPER FROM DUBUQUE IA. MADE IT
Old 02-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Allen

For those who can follow directions without needing drawings, all you need is: a small enclosed squirrell cage, or paddle fan type blower (can be homemade), a small mandrell with bearings a smaller, light mandrell with bearings a wood spool a dozen or so bubble wands some pulleys or gearing various bits of sheetmetal to form a tank, fan ductwork, and a nozzle (brass looks best) a sturdy base, like 3/4" plywood.

The engine drives the first mandrell, which is solidly mouned to the base This mandrell drives both the squirrell cage at high speed, and the smaller mandrell at a very low speed. (I'll leave the exact arrangement, and type of drive, to the builder) The smaller mandrell must be set up a bit above the base. It is fitted with the spool on one end, which has been drilled radially to accept the bubble wands at regular intervals (it will look sorta like a flower when viewed end on) A sheetmetal (or plastic, if you're lazy) tank of bubble soap sits at the bottom of the "flower" (up to about 1/3 of the diameter, so that the wands dip themselves as the mandrell rotates). The exhaust of the fan is ducted (preferably with a round nozzle) so that it blows through the holes in the wands at the top of the "flower"
Old 02-14-2002, 06:13 PM
jim king

about bubble machines.. they are great displays but don't do as a friend of mine did and put food coloring in the water so you could see the bubbles as it tends to make people mad when it stained their clothes.. he was a low down dog for a while and still gets a little red around the collar when you mention it to him.. have fun.. jim king
Old 02-14-2002, 07:52 PM
larry

I saw one bubble machine that useing the exahast from the engine to blow the bubbles.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:47 PM
WILL

Saw one of those exhaust run bubble machines in my bath tub one time. Hugh sucker! About 200 pounds! Shock the whole house when it kicked in to high gear.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:33 AM
David Greenwalt

Will, that was way to much information . Let me know what show you're planning on taking that one to, and I'll be going to a different one .
Old 02-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Al Hettich

I would be real carefull about using a hit/miss engine exhaust to blow bubbles. When they are not firing, they really suck. If you are running it on cabbage, those tub bubblers are quite efficient. Al
Old 02-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Allen

One thing to consider about bubble machines... I spent the weekend at a show playing with the Lehmann battery powered (G gauge RR) bubble car. After a few hours everything within about 4 feet of it was sticky with soap film.(When you go to wash the soap off,things will get extremely slippery for a bit too)