Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Letz Grinder Serial Number Registry

Hey guys. Since there are no surviving records of date/serial number information anywhere (not even...

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4573 times

Old 04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered-III

Default Letz Grinder Serial Number Registry

Hey guys.

Since there are no surviving records of date/serial number information anywhere (not even at the JD archives), I thought I might take it upon myself to try and start compiling serial numbers for Letz feed grinders. The difficult part will be to keep all the different models sorted out as I think there were at least 15-20 different models. If you would like your number added to the registry, just post the serial number and model number in this thread or email me. Pictures would be nice as well. If you have ANY history at all that might help to narrow down a purchase date, that would be immensly helpful as well. Thanks!

Jeb
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,424 Times in 799 Posts
Default Re: Letz Grinder Serial Number Registry

If the tag is gone, where would you look to find your serial number?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered-III

I'm not sure that there was another location for the s/n other than the tag. You might try looking on the end of the shaft nearest the drive pulley but I doubt it would be there. I don't know of any other stampings on the frame but then again, I only have one model. Other models may have been double stamped but I do not know this for fact.

Jeb
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered-III

Good Job Jeb,

I'll to get over to the pole barn today and get you a model and serial number from mine.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered-III

Ok, through the good folks over at www.gristmillers.com, certain pages from the 1947 "Book of Repairs" have been scanned in. Apparently, this booklet also contains serial number range data for several models of grinders as well as year ranges through which they were produced. Currently this only covers the following models: 130, 140, 230, 230x, 240, 330, 340, 360, 370, 344, 430, and 540. Only roughage mills are covered and only models of grinder produced through 1946 even if they continued production of that model afterwards. If you have one of these models, I can give you a reasonably close estimate of the year of manufacture. I'm still hoping to get serial number data for the more common 80, 110, 220 and similar grinders and will keep you all posted.

Jeb
Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Subscriber

Default ok, what brand is this?

I forgot I even owned this. On the crank handle is stamped"NO. 2" and each casting is noted with a '2M' number...such as '2MA' '2MB", etc.
Also, note the half-moon shaped shims laying in front of the mill...what are these for? This mill was disassembled when I got it from my father. He picked it up somewhere and took it apart to clean, then when he passed, I inherited it.

Anyway, what have I got here?
Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2725.jpg   DSCN2726.jpg  
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered-III

Well, to me it looks a lot like the C.S. Bell No. 2 grinders that they are still selling today. As for the shims, I have no clue. Try taking it apart and see if you can find any others inside the mill? That or try contacting C.S. Bell directly and see what they say?

http://www.csbellco.com/grinding.htm

Jeb
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebaroni:
Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Subscriber

Are you sure those "shims" go with the mill? They certainly look like Half moon clips for 45ACP ammunition.

Ray Rice
The Following User Says Thank You to Handlebar99:
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Subscriber

Knowing my father, that's entirely likely. Now that I look at them from a different light, I can see that.
Kevin
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered-III

Hopefully, he was not getting ready to "take the mill out back and shoot it"....
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered-III

If you felt like sandblasting it down to bare metal, you could very closely examine the castings for an imprint. I have a hand cranked corn sheller that I did not know the manufacture of. After sandblasting, I found the imprint of a small bell that (if I remember correctly) had a CS inside of it. That made it a sinch that it was a CS Bell corn sheller. If you were to sandblast your unit and look closely, you might find a similar impression. The one on my sheller was so light and faint as to be nearly unnoticable. It certainly disappeared under even the thinnest layer of paint.

Jeb
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebaroni:
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered-III

There wouldn't happen to be anybody out there with the Letz 1947 "Book of Repairs" or really this book from any other year (not sure how many were made)? I would really like to get my hands on one of these. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered-III

Well, i'm at 98% done with refurbishing the Letz elevator that I got with my model 80. I still have to finish the diverter paddle that goes in the discharge spout, make a metal cap for the bottom of the elevator, nail on a metal trim piece, and make a 12" long bolt to hold the legs on. I plan on leaving the elevator as it is, unpainted. I have coated it with Valspar Polyurethane to protect it from the elements and by leaving it unpainted it will match the unrestored grinder a lot better. Also, by leaving it "anonymous", I might be able to use it with one of my other grinders like the large David Bradley shown in the compilation picture. Anyway, just thought you guys might like to see a restored elevator. We have a small tractor shown around the end of this month and I should have some pictures of the elevator and the mill belted up to each other then so stay tuned!

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm59/jebaroni2/Letz/

Jeb
Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered-III

I just saved a Letz 220 serial # 605858 from the iron dealer. I have no idea of the year of manufacture or any other information. I will get pictures and post when I get a chance. I would like a copy of any manuals if anyone has any.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered-III

All I can tell you is that they began production in 1926 and continued at least through 1946. I do not know what the beginning serial number was or how many total units were produced. It seems that every series that Letz made started with a different serial number range and there doesn't seem to be any patterns behind it either. I still don't understand why the 1947 book of repairs gives serial number data breakdowns for the roughage grinders, but not the hopper grinders (the 220 is considered a hopper grinder). Oh well! At least you have a beginning date. If it were me, i'd take the average and call it a "1930's vintage" rather than trying to assign a specific year.

Jeb
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
There wouldn't happen to be anybody out there with the Letz 1947 "Book of Repairs" or really this book from any other year (not sure how many were made)? I would really like to get my hands on one of these. Thanks.
I own the 1947 book of repairs and a later supplement but there is no way they will be for sale in my lifetime.
If I run into them soon I will let you know.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

My number 8 Letz was made in 1914 and soon was replaced with one with a larger main shaft.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/bow.../Letzpage.html

My model 8 is missing it's flywheel because at the Haswell farm when they were done with it they removed the flywheel and added it to another feed grinder that they later sold Letz flywheel and all. I did get several extra sets of burrs with my number 8.

I have what looks to be a model 80 flywheel but it has the hole for that larger shaft. I will have to bush it down until it fits the number 8.

My number 80 Letz is in rough shape and I need to make a new hopper for it.

Right now I am seeking transportation help to get a model 6 from PA to the Portland show in August. That one is in really great shape and will be a welcome addition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Bowen:
Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Subscriber

Hey Jebaroni, heres a quick vid of a couple of Letz Burr mills I recently finished, thanks to all of the information I've garnered from various posts on SmokStak.

The larger Letz 80 A, # 836799 was a bit more of a challenge requiring two others for spare parts. The little 6 A Junior, # 22141 was in quite good shape, good babbitt, just needing cleaned up and lubricated and painted. They were a fun project!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB67s...ature=youtu.be
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fordson1:
Old 07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered-III

Very cool! That little Number 6 is just as cute as a bug's ear! Very nice job on both! I'd love to restore mine like that someday, but right now it's my good "dirty" machine that I don't mind using. Perhaps I can relegate my David Bradley to that task in the future. Again, nice work and thanks for sharing!

Jeb
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered-II

Nice! Did you make the stencils for the lettering? I sure like the patent date part, well done.

Most respectfully,
Mike Rock
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Subscriber

Mike,
The vinyl decals are available from Jorde's. They specialize in John Deere decals but do others and do custom work. A great business to deal with.

http://jordedecals.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to fordson1: