Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 45EF lost wire (chewed up)

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1227 times

Old 05-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Onan 45EF lost wire (chewed up)

On my Onan 45EF I have a wire that comes from positive side of the coil of the 292 that powers the genny. It went up to the control panel. All the wires are chewed up inside the control panel so I dont know where it went to. I assume that it was part of the ignition wiring. The only way I got the engine to run was by applying 12 volts to that wire. I could not get spark anyother way. My question is;
1 How can I keep the wire hot, and is there a way around it?
2. Can the ignition coil handel 12 volts directly to it like that?
Other than that the engine ran nice.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,108 Times in 884 Posts
Default Re: Lost wire

look over the engine for an ignition resister (small ceramic bar shaped resister with a couple terminals sticking out of it) and also for a IGN terminal on the starter solenoid with a small wire on it . If you find either of these you have an external resister coil and should be able to find a wiring diagram for Ford vehicles showing how it is supposed to be connected.

On many of the ONAN's the wires are numbered with tiny numbers on each end allowing you to trace where they wind up. I can't remember if both numbers are the same or whether there are sequential numbers on each end (for example 1 and 2). Look over some intact wiring and see if they are supposed to be there.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,108 Times in 884 Posts
Default Re: Lost wire

The ignition circuit should feed from an engine control board if the generator has something on it to monitor oil pressure, coolant temperature, ac output etc. If not the ignition wire probably comes from a manual start/off/remote start switch on the panel.

With an external resister coil, there is a bypass circuit from the starter solenoid relay that sends full battery voltage to the coil during cranking, but is disconnected after the starter quits so that the only remaining feed to the coil is through the voltage dropping resister. This keeps the points and coil from running so hot and burning up prematurely. If the ignition resister or the circuit to and from it is open, the engine will start and then die when the starter disengages.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,205 Times in 797 Posts
Default Re: Onan 45EF lost wire (chewed up)

Best course of action would be to lay hands on a manual for this machine and repair all of the wiring damage. You may have some others damaged that would shut it down if it looses oil pressure, get too hot, etc.

In an emergency, run a wire from the B26 terminal on the side of the engine to the hot side of the coil and it'll run, shut down too, if the rest of the safeties work.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:17 PM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts

Most Ford engines in automobiles use an INTERNAL resistor coil which DOES NOT use a seperate ceramic resistor or a resistor wire in a wire loom.

Kent
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys thank you for your help. When the wire (number tag 8) is not fed 12 volts, then I dont get any spark. When 12 v are applied to it I get spark and the engine starts nicely. When I take the wire off the battery where I am getting the 12 volts, I lose spark and the engine dies. As far as everything else in the control panal, it is shot. I think the best bet would be to replace the panel with a newer one.
Another is problem is that it seems the propane is not making it past the regulator. I started it by spaying gas into the carb and kept it running that way. Is there a way I can take the reg off and open it to check it out? There is only 1 reg.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,205 Times in 797 Posts

Both the ignition and the fuel solenoid, which allows fuel to the engine, get power from the same source. Stands to reason if you are not getting power to the coil, you are not getting power to the solenoid valve.

You could get a wiring schematic for your machine and rewire it.

Another course of action would be to use an after market controller such as a DeepSea or a ECU. Davidson Sales (800)383-2078 would be a good starting point for that. Expect to pay around $3-400 for a controller.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Subscriber

Liked 8,559 Times in 4,068 Posts

ECU makes a very good controller.