Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

How to fix broken teeth on a GEAR???

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 3837 times

Old 02-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Denis Rouleau

Default How to fix broken teeth on a GEAR???

A couple of years ago I got a 1-1/2hp air cooled Gilson in need of lots of attention. Everything that can be seized was, and last week I was finally successful in removing the piston from the cylinder. The next major problem is that 4 consecutive teeth are completely gone from the crankshaft's gear. Is there a poor man's way to make the missing teeth without having to pay a fortune to have a new one made at a machine shop? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Denis Rouleau
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Bill Pitts (OH)

Default Re: How to fix broken teeth on a GEAR???

Make them out of metal stock and them secure them with Dowel pins and JB Weld. Have a friend did two teeth that way on his FM.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:01 PM
Rob Charles

Hi , You can braze up the spot and hand file the teeth in, these things are not real fussy.You can screw in 2 pins for each tooth then file in.you can mill out a space in the gear then make a pc togo in it then file or mill teeth.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Doug Hanneman

My father-in-law just got done building up several teeth that were missing from his Associates crankshaft gear with a small Lincoln sheetmetal wirefeed, and then filed to size. Haven't tryed it yet but the gear looks good.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Howard Weaver

I made two teeth on the crank gear for a small Woodpecker engine by welding in rough teeth with machinable nickel rod and then used a dremel with a tapered grinding stone. Take your time and it will be hard to tell which teeth have been replaced. It's run for many hours since and no problems yet. Knock on wood. Howard Weaver
Old 02-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Mark Congden

Denis, A friend of mine has done it several times exactly the way Doug described. I personally have never tried it although this is the way I'd do it if I had the need. Good luck,Mark Congden
Old 02-26-2002, 08:00 PM
Denis Rouleau

Doug, what is and how does a "sheetmetal wire feed works? Is this an expensive tool?
Old 02-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Mark Congden

Denis, Doug is refering to a small mig or more commonly called wire feed welder.These welders with the heat turned way down will weld cast iron very well.The low heat doesn't allow much penetration so this is not for any stuctural area. The good side is that there is no preheating, peaning or slow cooling needed. You just weld it up and grind or file it down to the profile you need.The self shielding ,mild steel wire is all you need.......no gas.I have welded many heads, rocker arms,water hoppers,etc. with this method .......... Works for us, in central New York ...Mark Congden
Old 02-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Ron Weber

Did you try Hit & Miss enterprises for the gear?
Old 02-26-2002, 08:45 PM
allen lapage

Unless you either work in a machine shop or, just plain have nothing better to do I personaly would look for a used one. Im sure it wont be a arm and leg. A repaired gear will never run smoothe and quite & only cause extra whear on the mating gear. Maby I am too fussy but after 40 years in a machine shop I have seen many times where trying to save a dime winds up costing a dollar. just my 2 cents. allen
Old 02-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Mike

Dennis, I have replaced several cranshaft gears by purchasing a new gear out of the Boston Gear catalog from a bearing house. The new gear will have to be bored and sized to thickness and then a keyway broached into the gear. Gears usually are about $30 in that size.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:11 PM
Bob Bolhuis

Denis,

I had a 5 hp Gilson that had 7 teeth in a row replaced many years ago with a single stud threaded in in place of each tooth and then filed to the correct profile.

At the same time , since Gilson doesn't use a keyway for the timing gears, you rotate the gear so that the repaired teeth are not in play while operating the exhaust valve etc.. That way there is no strain at all on the repaired teeth.

Bob
Old 02-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Doug Hanneman

Mark is right about the welder. My father-in-law originally bought it to do sheet metal work on a model A he has. 1/4" to 3/8" plate is about the heaviest you can weld with it and it takes several passes at that. Good for lite, low heat work that a regular size welder would burn through.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Ironman

Denis- Clamp the gear in a drill press vise, and try to line up over the center of the gear above where one of the teeth is broken off. Drill about 3 holes spaced evenly apart side by side across where a tooth is broken off, and then thread the holes. Take some set screws (the ones that have a pocket in one end for a small Allen wrench)and thread them into the holes, using Loctite 290 anaerobic adhesive to secure them. Make sure that the set screws are long enough that the bottom of the allen wrench pocket would be the same height as the good teeth of the gear, and then grind off the extra height of the set screws(after they have been installed & the Loctite has cured). With 3 or so screws lined up in a row, you will have plenty of surface area so that wear will be minimal. Use screws that are large enough in diameter that the threads on them will about be gone when you file the screws to form the teeth. I wouldn't recommend trying to weld in teeth if you aren't a well experienced welder. If the welds aren't good and solid, one (or more) of the repaired teeth might break loose while the engine is running, and cause damage to the other gear, or even some of the other engine parts. If you should decide to weld the teeth or have them welded by someone else, drill and tap a few smaller holes for each missing tooth and put set screws in as I mentioned before. These will form good "anchors" for the welded teeth, so that the weld will not easily break off in the future. Here's hoping that whatever method you choose to repair the gear works out well for you !!! Ironman
Old 02-27-2002, 09:17 AM
Bill in PA

Mike, how can a person get one of those Boston gear catalogs? Do you have an address or number? Thanks, Bill in PA
Old 02-27-2002, 09:19 AM
Bill in PA

I had a 4 HP Worthington with a gear missing teeth. I had it repaired the same way and it worked very well like that. Bill in PA
Old 02-27-2002, 03:28 PM
NICK

Bill, e-mail them and request a catalog. That's how I got mine. I also got one from Martin like that.

Cheers! NICK
Old 02-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Mike

Bill, The back of my catalog says call 1-800-225-5280 for nearest distributor. They may also be able to get you a catalog. Also, a number of home office: 1-617-328-3300. This is a 1992 catalog, so area code may have changed. Mike
Old 02-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Al Hettich

I have done it like the Ironman. The studs are very strong, they can be welded to and ground off to make a real nice tooth. I use a muffler cutoff wheel in my air die grinder, slow and easy does it. I also use a caliper to measure from a good tooth. 2-3-4 teeth away can be compared to the one you are grinding. Also a gear tooth guage is real handy to get the profile. Al