Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Bent Connecting Rod

I have a engine with a connecting rod that appears slightly bent in the middle of the Rod. The...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2443 times

Old 02-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Smoke

Default Bent Connecting Rod

I have a engine with a connecting rod that appears slightly bent in the middle of the Rod. The engine appears to run ok. Will this cause me trouble if I leave it alone. Is it possible that I could break it if i put it in a press since its cast. Or "If its not broke, dont fix it."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Norm S

Default Re: Bent Connecting Rod

I've had a bent rod in an engine for a long time - no trouble. I think your axiom is correct. Unless you have a U-Bolt there, leave it alone!

Norm
Old 02-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Chuck Tx

You can take a forged rod , and twist the journals 90 degrees and then straighten them back again and run em with no problem ,but bending them isnt the problem , making it worse is the problem ! ;-)
Old 02-27-2002, 05:08 PM
Bill in PA

I have a Friend engine with a slightly bent rod. It won't attach to the crank when the piston is in the cylinder. I plan to heat it and nudge it just a hair. Do you think that will make it worse? All help appreciated. Thanks. Bill in PA
Old 02-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Roland Finkenbinder

I had an engine that had a bend right behind the wrist pin--straightened it out and the rod would not fit back on the crank journal. I think it came from the factory that way. Rebent it and put it back together and it fit fine. The cylinder was offset from the crank journal. Should have left it alone.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Mark Congden

Years ago, an old machinist engine buddy of mine told me that some manufacturers of engines would deliberately bend the rod to fit the crankshaft as the bore and the crank weren't square to one and other.I have a vertical hopper cooled Cady that has the rod bent to fit it's crank. If the bearings fit squarely...and it's not binding...I'd leave it alone. Mark Congden
Old 02-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Ed Kinch

Hello All,

If the rod does not walk back and forth when cranked, and can be easily moved back and forth on the crankshaft and wrist pin, it probably is not bend.The two centers would be in alignment.

Ed Kinch
Old 02-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Kevin Bandy

My Rockford connecting rod is slightly bent in the middle and has been that why since my grandfather bought it in the 1930's. Runs fine.

Kevin's Old Iron
Old 02-28-2002, 09:03 AM
Bill in PA

Mark, do you have a picture of that Cady that you could post? I have a Cady marine engine. Just wondering if it is the same company and what the differences are. Bill in PA